Su Youngs MBACP, MSc, BSc (Hons), Dip Psych Counselling
Hello and welcome to my profile.
I am a qualified and experienced Counsellor and Psychotherapist. I work with a range of issues such as: anxiety and depression, trauma, self-harm, addiction, relationship and family issues, stress and self-esteem, sexuality and emotional issues, issues with self image.
If you are feeling unsettled and would like to discuss any of the above issues that you may be experiencing you are welcome to come along to my Counselling and Psychotherapy Practice in Hitchin, Welwyn Village or St Albans and see how I can help you.
In my experience the talking therapies can help people make meaning of a variety of issues and experiences. If you decide you would like to talk through your issues with me I can provide you with a safe and comfortable therapeutic environment in which to talk. I will always treat you in a respectful and caring manner, regardless of race, religion, gender, age or sexuality. Your well-being will always be my top priority. The setting will be professional and confidential. I am registered with the BACP and abide by their code of ethics. (See details below).
I offer long or short term counselling. The duration of the therapy will depend on what you think you might need based on what you would like to achieve. If you are unsure about what you want from therapy then time can be taken to explore this aspect, which is quite usual, particularly if it is your first experience of counselling.
Would you like to discuss what's worrying you?
I can be contacted via email or mobile telephone on 07805 836217. If I am unavailable when you ring please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can. If you decide you're ready to meet, we can arrange an initial session.
- The initial session is usually up to an hour long, and is an opportunity for you to tell me about the issues that are worrying you the most and to get a sense of whether you feel comfortable enough to engage in counselling with me.
- You can expect me to listen to what you have to say and to occasionally check out with you my understanding of your problems.
- This session is also an opportunity for you to ask me any questions, including what you can expect from counselling and how I may work with you.
- If we agree to work together then a further appointment can be made and practical issues of the work can be discussed such as; confidentiality, timing, duration of therapy, cancellations policy etc.
If you'd like to talk about booking an initial session, you can contact me via email or mobile telephone on 07805 836217.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) Registered Membership no. 710381
- EATA (European Association of Transactional Analysis)
- Metanoia Institute
Membership to the above Professional Bodies means I adhere to their ethical and professional principles which underpins my clinical work.
Training and Qualifications (Metanoia Institute, Ealing)
- MSc Psychotherapy in Transactional Analysis
- BSc (Hons) Reflective Therapeutic Practice
- Diploma in Transactional Analysis Counselling
- BSc (Hons) Transactional Analysis Counselling (3 years formal training)
I have worked in Clinical Practice for over 10 years within different therapeutic settings around Hertfordshire and London. The work I carry out is with mixed agenda, race, sexuality and religion. For example:
- Metanoia Counselling and Psychotherapy Practice, London
- Turning Point, Drug and Alcohol Service, Hertfordshire
- Watford Women's Centre, Hertfordshire
- Hitchin Counselling Service, Hertfordshire
- Private Practice: Hitchin and Welwyn Village
My theoretical approach:
I use Transactional Analysis (TA) as my main theoretical framework; however I integrate TA's humanistic philosophy with its deeper roots in Psychodynamic theory. I am also able to offer a Person Centered and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) approach as a way of further supporting and enhancing my client work.
You can contact me via email or mobile telephone on 07805 836217.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- My fee is £55 for a 50-minute individual session.
- £40 Group
- £70 for Couples
There is free parking in my Welwyn Village practice and some free parking in Hitchin.
If you'd like to talk about booking a session, you can contact me via email or mobile telephone on 07805 836217.