I am a UKCP accredited Psychotherapist and Counsellor based in Hackney in London (and online). I am warm, intuitive and dynamic with a special interest in creative practice.
I work as a Transpersonal Integrative Therapist, which in practice means I draw on a variety of therapeutic techniques, from exploring the impact of early life dynamics on the present to CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy). The Transpersonal element adds depth and creativity to the process, examples of this are: helping you find wisdom and meaning in your struggles, using creative tools (e.g. voice and sound, drawing, the written word), working with dreams and the imagination and most importantly, offering space for your authentic self, who you are under the wounding and conditioning, to flourish.
I very much tailor my approach to the individual and seek to work collaboratively with you.
I offer a free 15 minute phone consultation to give you a feel of what it’s like to work with me. It's also an opportunity for me to get a sense of you and your concerns and explain how therapy could help you personally. You can book it by contacting me through this website or cutting and pasting the following link into your browser: https://calendly.com/srsteen/free-15-minute-consultation
Training, qualifications & experience
POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA: Transpersonal Integrative Psychotherapy & Counselling: CCPE (Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Education).
CERTIFICATE: Foundations of Counselling & Psychotherapy: CCPE (Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Education).
- Healing Complex Trauma with an integrative ego state therapy (workshop)
- Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy (training session)
- Dr Brenda Davies' Chakra Developmental Model (training session)
- An audience with Dr Brenda Davies, Questions of Spirituality and Health
- (Q&A session with a retired consultant psychiatrist, author, workshop leader, spiritual teacher)
VOICE & SOUND:
In addition to training with sound on the Diploma at CCPE, I have worked closely with Dr. Nadine George and her ‘Nadine George Voice Work’ technique. The work is original, using sung sound and linking this directly to the body and text work. Dr George primarily devised her method for actors but has gone on to work with a wide range of people, such as mental health professionals. I have attended workshops and one-to-one sessions with Dr. George and have incorporated aspects of her technique into my practice.
UKCP ACCREDITED - Full Clinical Member
PRIVATE PRACTICE: Jan 2017- PRESENT (spanning trainee level to post qualification & accreditation)
Prior to training as a Psychotherapist, I had a 20 year career in the design industry, including running the womenswear colour department at Marks & Spencer for almost a decade. I am currently a Royal Society of Arts Fellow.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Whilst I have worked with a broad spectrum of issues and concerns, I have particular experience working with:
- Codependency (this term is perhaps not so familiar if you are new to therapy but some key characteristics are): people pleasing, taking too much responsibility in any relationship (especially where one party is an addict or has destructive tendencies and the other party suffers from excessive caretaking/controlling), unhealthy boundaries, over dependency, low self-worth, poor self-care, minimising or being unable to identify your needs.
- OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) is usually characterised as experiencing distressing unwanted thoughts, images or impulses (obsessions) which you may respond to repeatedly with rituals -either thoughts or actions- (compulsions) in an attempt to control the anxiety.
- Addiction (whether you are the person suffering or in close proximity to someone suffering)