Sarah Dawnay (MSc, PGDip, UKCP, BACP, BPC, FPC)
I am an experienced and accredited psychotherapist and counsellor working in private practice in Central and South West London. I provide a safe and confidential space where we can work together to identify, explore and work through things that are troubling you.
People come to therapy for many different reasons; perhaps you are feeling overwhelmed, anxious, depressed, or stuck, or struggling with relationships or seeking personal growth. I adapt my approach to respond to your individual situation and aim to help you to move forwards towards positive and lasting change.
My approach is compassionate and empathetic and I work collaboratively with you to identify any emotions and challenges you may be facing aiming to help you to feel heard, accepted and understood. I hope to help you to make sense of difficult feelings, events, or patterns of relating; to bring greater awareness to these experiences and to develop a greater understanding of unseen behaviours that may underlie psychological distress. In exploring this it may then be possible to address the current and past life experiences to which such feelings and behaviours may relate, to try to create different patterns of relating in the therapeutic relationship and outside, and in doing so move forwards towards positive and lasting change.
I work with clients on a wide range of difficulties including:
- Anxiety, stress, panic attacks (including generalised anxiety disorder).
- Depression (low mood, sadness, feelings of despair, emptiness, isolation, alienation, loneliness and questions around life direction and meaning).
- Relationship and family difficulties/changes (divorce/separation, starting or expanding your family, fertility, miscarriage).
- Low confidence and low self-esteem.
- Challenges around identity, body image and purpose.
- Work stress (negotiating work/life balance or work relationships, imposter syndrome, career transitions, redundancy, perfectionism, loss of meaning)
- Feelings of anger or frustration.
- Loss, illness, bereavement.
- Traumatic events, abuse.
- Major life transitions (mid-life crisis, redundancy, retirement).
- Counter-productive coping strategies such as disordered eating patterns, self-harm and addiction.
Over the years I have worked as a psychotherapist in the private, public and charity sectors with clients of diverse race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and religion.
Prior to my career as a psychotherapist I worked as a lawyer at large global practices and also coached, mentored and trained international clients and postgraduates. I am able to use this experience to aid my therapeutic work and have an understanding of the personal, professional and environmental pressures placed on individuals in modern-day life.
I provide regular open-ended psychotherapy and counselling, and short-term therapy to adults and young adults. I am flexible in adopting whichever approach best suits your needs, life commitments and budget.
Starting therapy can be a daunting process and I believe it takes courage to do so. If you are thinking about having therapy or would like to know more about how I work and whether therapy could work for you, please email me (email@example.com).
Initially we would meet for a consultation to discuss what has bought you to therapy now, what you hope to gain from therapy and whether you feel working together has the potential to change for the better. All enquiries are strictly confidential and this is an opportunity for you to explore whether you are comfortable in this setting and with me. If we decided to proceed we would discuss a fee and would normally meet at the same time each week for 50 minutes.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Fully qualified psychodynamic psychotherapist having completed a highly intensive and rigorous 5 year postgraduate clinical and academic training at WPF Therapy, one of London's foremost training institutions.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy Theory and Practice from the University of Roehampton.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling Skills from WPF Therapy (Distinction).
- Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Clinical Practice (Society of Analytic Psychotherapy) - Jungian Theory - currently completing.
- BA Joint Hons. in Economic and Social History and Politics (1st) and an MSc in International Dispute Resolution (Awarded International Prize) .
- Member of the TLC Committee for the Foundation of Psychotherapy and Counselling (FPC).
- Mentor to psychotherapy trainees through FPC.
- Member of the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
- Long standing experience working with Mind (Charity), WPF Therapy, Universities, law firms and in private practice providing psychotherapy and counselling, training, mentoring and coaching and undertaking consultations/assessments.
- Professional member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP), British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), the British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) and the Foundation of Psychotherapy and Counselling (FPC). All of these organisations have strict ethical codes and professional standards of confidentiality to which I subscribe.
- Co-Founder of Private Psychotherapy London.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
UK Council for Psychotherapy
The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.
As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.
UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Sleep disturbances.
- Eating disorders.
- Covid-related anxiety, stress, depression and concerns.
Free initial online session
Concessions offered for
- Initial consultation (via MS Teams/Zoom/Telephone) free of charge.
- If after the consultation we decide to work together, an ongoing fee will be discussed and agreed between us. This can range from £80 per session dependent on your financial situation and the time of day you can attend.
- Concessionary rates are available. Please ask.
Monday-Thursday - 8am-8pm.