Nicola Borthwick, PGCE, BSc (Hons), Dip Couns. Registered Member MBACP
At this present time my entire practice is online or via the phone, so I am currently offering online/phone counselling sessions, which I have completed further training to offer. Online counselling can offer convenience, flexibility &
accessibility if this medium suits your needs, so please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can support you during these difficult times. Face to face sessions will resume when it is safe to return and updates will be provided on here. I also do hope that you and your families are keeping well and safe.
Due to currently not having to pay room rental fees, all individual sessions are £40/couples £52 and as always, my first session is still FREE.
Hello and welcome to my counselling profile ‘Clear Horizons Counselling & Training’.
I specialise in working with adults (individuals & couples) who are experiencing difficult times in their lives. I have spent a number of years counselling parents at a children’s centre in north London, as well as running a voluntary service and now my own private practice. I have written successful funding bids which have enabled me to work with clients from a diverse range of ethnic groups and who are experiencing a range of mental health issues. I have also worked in various community settings and am used to experiencing different cultural & ethical issues. I am a registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists), working to their code of ethics and towards accreditation status.
I am also a qualified post-16/adult tutor & adult community co-ordinator at a large north London college. I have worked in this sector for almost 25 years and now work with various organisations in Barnet and Enfield offering training/workshops in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MCBT)/Mindfulness, Mental Health, Transactional Analysis (TA), Assertiveness & Communication strategies and Self Esteem for their professional staff, as well as for their clients and College students.
In addition, I have experience of working successfully with Employee Assistance Providers and counselling students.
How Can Counselling Help You?
Having taken the initial step to consider counselling, I am able to offer you a supported, safe,
non-judgemental and empathic space to explore your thoughts, feelings and in time be able to reach decisions that are right for you, and therefore move towards your own ‘Clear Horizon’.
People from all walks of life can benefit from counselling. You may find that you’re struggling with relationships, having a crisis in your personal life, facing bereavement or illness, in an abusive relationship or perhaps experiencing anxiety over work issues. You may have feelings of hopelessness, a lack of self-worth or confidence, depression or stress. Whatever the reasons for your present difficulties, these can be explored in counselling. Counselling can help you to reflect and work through any problems in an understanding, secure and safe environment.
Please see the section at the bottom of this page detailing client testimonials.
Training, qualifications & experience
How I would Work with You
I am an Integrative counsellor, which means that I can offer you a variety of methods of counselling suited to your needs. I can work with you in a variety of ways (Person Centred, Cognitive Behavioural therapy (CBT), Transactional Analysis (TA) and basic Psychodynamic), to help you find a way through your difficulties, so that you find your own solutions. I offer both short term and long term counselling and have experience of working successfully with counselling students and Employee Assistance Providers.
I have co-ordinated training in the community adult education sector in north London for almost 25 years and have worked with an extremely diverse range of clients in terms of physical and emotional needs, which has led me to a counselling profession.
I have worked with a broad client group airwho have experienced anxiety, depression, bereavement/loss/grief, sexual abuse, relationship issues/difficulties, family issues, suicidal feelings, anger issues, OCD and domestic violence, as well as a number of other issues, including personality disorders and Asperger's syndrome. In addition, I also work with various organisations in Barnet, including Barnet Council and schools in Enfield, offering training/workshops in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)/Mindfulness, Mental Health, Transactional Analysis (TA), Assertiveness & Communication strategies and Self Esteem for their professional staff, as well as for clients and college students.
My Qualifications & Training
Registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists), working to their code of ethics and am eligible to apply for accreditation status
BACP Certificate of Proficiency, Accredited Voluntary Register
PGCE in Post-16 Education & Training (University of Hertfordshire)
Level 4 Diploma in Integrative Therapeutic Counselling (Aylesbury College)
Level 5 Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therpay (CBT) (Amersham & Wycombe College)
How to do Counselling Online: A Coronavirus Primer - Level 2 (The Open University/BACP)
Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy Course for Personal/Professional Development (8 weeks)
Mindfulness workshops (Various providers)
Counselling for Couples (Various short courses and workshops including: Langley Therapy & Training, Herts and Riverwood Counselling and Wellbeing Practice, St. Neots)
Facilitating Psycho-Educational/Psychotherapeutic Groups (Langley Therapy & Training)
Sex, Love and Relationship Addiction (SLaR) 20 hours Workshop (Langley Therapy & Training)
Introduction to Autism for Counsellors (Counselling Works and Training LLP, Milton Keynes)
Borderline Personality Disorder Workshop (Barnet, Enfield & Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust)
Adult Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) (2 Day Course. Future Path, Barnet)
Neuro-Linguistic Programming (Barnet College)
Safeguarding & Child Protection for Professionals with Designated Responsibility (Group 4)(Barnet Council)
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (Staff Training Barnet & Southgate College)
BSc (Hons) 1st Class, Environmental Studies (University of Hertfordshire)
NVQ Training & Development Level 3 (Oaklands College)
HNC Business & Administration (Glyndwr University/NEWI)
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
FREE Introductory Session for Individuals & Couples
I offer an initial FREE 50 minute assessment session where we can discuss your needs, giving you the opportunity to ask questions and explore together the best way, for you, to move forward.
Fees at Welwyn
Sessions in Welwyn are charged at £40 per counselling hour for individuals (50 minutes) and £52 per hour for couples (60 minutes)
Fees at Colindale
Sessions in Colindale are charged at £45 per counselling hour (50 minutes) and £57 per hour for couples (60 minutes).
Student/other concessions may be available. Please enquire for further details.
Concessions offered for
Where I Offer Counselling
Counselling sessions in Old Welwyn are held in my conservatory overlooking my peaceful garden and there is free road parking. I offer Monday afternoon/evening, Thursday evenings and weekend morning appointments. (Please see photos above)
In Colindale, they are held at The Colindale Communities Trust's Venue, (15 Osler Court, Charcot Road, NW9 5XW) in the heart of Colindale which is close to public transport links, including both tube (nearest tube is Colindale)/ bus and there is also nearby free road parking. I offer Tuesday and Friday evening appointments here between 6.30pm and 9.30pm.
Testimonials from Previous Counselling Clients
Couples Counselling Feedback
- A welcoming and supportive environment in which we were provided with strategies and resources to help improve our communication as a couple. We were able to express ourselves openly and freely whilst being challenged in an appropriate manner, to reflect and discuss particular issues and circumstances. All in a very positive atmosphere (Anon, Couple, Jan 2020).
- Nicola provided a safe and neutral space was to discuss our goals, challenges and solutions. I particularly found the exercise useful of us both writing down goals/expectations separately and then discussing together. We have learnt a lot about each other -thank you for your support and guidance (Anon, Couple, Jan 2020)
- 'Nicola offered the space and tools to reflect on our situation and move forward positively. It's been great to work together as a couple with the expertise of someone who was neutral and ensured that we didn't get caught up in the conflict. It's breathed a new lease of life into our relationship. Thank you so much! You've added so much value to our lives and I'm so grateful to be closer than ever with my partner.' (Anon, Couple, Nov 2018)
- It was helpful to have a safe place to resolve conflict and learn communication methods. I'm much happier within my relationship and that's made me more excited for the future. Nicola has been an amazing counsellor. She has helped to keep my relationship together. I'm looking forward to my individual counselling sessions.' (Anon, Couple, Nov 2018).
Individual's Counselling Feedback
- 'It was very helpful that the sessions were based on what I wanted to talk about and Nicola was very open and friendly making it a lot easier to talk. Sessions were incredibly insightful and supportive and just as effective even though the sessions were virtual.' (Anon, July 2020)
- 'I found Nicola to be very professional, understanding and caring. She created a very easy, comfortable atmosphere during the sessions. Nicola can cover so many aspects of counselling, always interacts, doesn’t just listen. I would thoroughly recommend Nicola.' (Anon, July 2020)
- 'I found the materials and sheets really useful and the fact they were sent to me after each online session meant that it was easier for me to refer to them and work on anything discussed within the sessions in my own time. I found editing the letter I sent to a relative really helpful as it brought to my attention things I wouldn’t necessarily realise, which helped me communicate calmly In the discussion that followed.' (Anon, May 2020)
- Really helpful to be able to decide what I would like to talk about. Nicola then use different strategies to discuss or explore situations and past events. Good to recap each week. Good to be able to cry and allow some feelings out. I felt very comfortable in the room, quiet, no distractions, pleasing to the eye (not clinical). I was afraid to look at the emotions chart, but Nicola was sensitive to my needs and with some encouragement I read out some feelings. I would definitely recommend Nicola as she has been extremely professional. I have been able to explore lots of issues in depth (never done before) and understand why I react in certain ways, think in a different way and feel more at peace.' (Anon, April 2020).
- 'I found the sessions extremely helpful during a time of stress and growing anxiety. The tools and techniques Nicola helped me with really helped me to manage my stress and anxiety! I would strongly recommend counselling with Nicola. Spending time and and money on your own mental well being is one the best things you can do in my opinion.' (Anon, December 2019).
- 'I found the counselling picture cards very interesting to reflect on and also the drama triangle very useful, putting it into practice in everyday situations. The unhelpful thinking habits sheet was very useful in understanding and processing thoughts and feelings.' (Anon, November 2019).
- 'All the CBT learnings were extremely valuable. Nicola was incredibly patient, kind and non judgmental. She explained all points in a way I could understand on a deep level which allowed me to make the changes necessary in my thoughts and life. Thank you for creating a space for me to learn and grow.' (Anon, October 2019).
- 'Nicola helped me to take control of my own choices and understand that I cannot change those around me, but I can choose my own actions and reactions. I feel I now have the skills and mindset to deal with the challenges ahead, whatever they may be. I feel empowered and in control.' (Anon, October 2019).
- 'I was seeing Nicola over a period of 1.5 years. I was a counselling student at the time and was required to spend a specific amount of hours in personal therapy- Nicola was very accommodating to my very limited availability which was extremely helpful. She was great in her capacity as a counsellor- she helped me become more self-aware and helped me get in touch with my feelings. I always felt comfortable discussing my issues and she was always able to give me something to reflect on and process in my own time, which supported my personal growth both as a person and a therapist alike. Nicola was also amazing when it came to discussing some parts of my course materials- things that I was learning about she used in my own therapy. This gave me better understanding of how I could work using certain materials and how those materials could help me support my clients. I would highly recommend anyone that would like to see a therapist to give Nicola a chance- I think she is a brilliant and skilled therapist and a very warm person that can really help make a positive change to one’s life.' (Anon, September 2019)
- 'I found helpful that I had the freedom to speak about and explore whatever was a priority for me that day and to run with it and let the session flow from there - pausing to unpick anything important that came naturally.' (Anon, August 2019)
- 'I found the opportunity to talk about anything and everything, without judgement very helpful and cathartic. I was nervous about taking the step to professional help but I am so glad that I did.' (Anon, June 2019)
- 'I have been attending weekly sessions with Nicola for 16 weeks and it has changed my life considerably. My relationships and self confidence have improved. I had not had one to one counselling before so I was unsure what to expect, but Nicola made me feel relaxed and I enjoyed the sessions. I would recommend counselling to anyone suffering with anxiety/self-esteem/anger issues as you develop skills to help overcome these feelings.' (Anon, May 2019)
- 'I found having a place to express my thoughts and feelings with no judgement or bias was incredibly helpful. The questions posed to me helped challenge my thoughts and open my mind to different perspectives. I needed to be challenged by someone external to my friends and family. I personally have found counselling beneficial and this has been supported by Nicola's friendly personality that challenges you but not in a confrontational manner.' (Anon, May 2019).
- 'Worked through in a structured and tailored way to best fit my needs.' (Anon, May 2019)
- 'I arrived hurt, asking why did this happen to me? and Nicola helped me gain perspective on the events in my life and to investigate my feelings in a warm and positive environment. Nicola is a very good listener and she always makes you feel heard. During my time I used unhelpful thinking tools and grief modelling to gain a greater understanding of the Why. I also learned important things about myself such as my personal resilience and positive outlook. Nicola has helped me get through the most difficult time in my life and I am very grateful for her help. I recommend her very highly. Thanks Nicola' (BH, April 2019)
- 'After 6 solo sessions with Nicola, I rediscovered my sense of confidence and value. Nicola helped me to explore some of the root causes of my low self-esteem and supported me with finding practical solutions to move forward. I feel equipped to move on to the next phase of my life and I'm happy to be happy again.' (Christopher Mitchell, February 2019)
- 'The sessions provided me with a safe space to explore and unpack some deep rooted issues. I always felt held and supported and listened to and the interventions offered were conducive to my development. Thank you Nicola. I have found my voice and developed greatly working with you!' (Anon, Oct 2018)
- 'I found the CBT resources (Unhelpful Thinking Habits and the STOPP worksheet) useful. They helped me recognise what I was feeling and how to overcome the feelings. Having someone to talk to without judgement has been reassuring.' (Anon, Oct 2018)
- I found counselling very helpful and it has changed my outlook on my future dramatically.' (Anon, Oct 2018)
- 'Counselling has given me the opportunity to have a safe place to think and talk about my feelings and I feel stronger to move on. I didn't miss any days off work because of the counselling support which I received.' (Anon, Oct 2018)
- 'It was helpful to talk through issues and understand that there is a way forward with coping with it'. (Anon, Oct 2018)