Nicola Borthwick, PGCE, BSc (Hons), Dip Couns. Registered Member MBACP
9 Charcot Road
Hello and welcome to my counselling profile ‘Clear Horizons Counselling & Training’.
I specialise in working with adults (individuals & couples) who are experiencing difficult times in their lives. I have spent a number of years counselling parents at a children’s centre in north London, as well as running a voluntary service and my own private practice. I have written successful funding bids which have enabled me to work with clients from a diverse range of ethnic groups and who are experiencing a range of mental health issues. I have also worked in various community settings and am used to experiencing different cultural & ethical issues. I am a registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists), working to their code of ethics and towards accreditation status.
I am also a qualified post-16/adult tutor & adult community co-ordinator at a large north London college. I have worked in this sector for over 20 years and now work with various organistions in Barnet and Enfield offering training/workshops in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Mindfulness, Transactional Analysis (TA), Assertiveness & Communication strategies and Self Esteem for their professional staff, as well as for their clients and college students.
In addition, I have experience of working successfully with Employee Assistance Providers and counselling students.
How Can Counselling Help You?
Having taken the initial step to consider counselling, I am able to offer you a supported, safe,
non-judgemental and empathic space to explore your thoughts, feelings and in time be able to reach decisions that are right for you, and therefore move towards your own ‘Clear Horizon’.
People from all walks of life can benefit from counselling. You may find that you’re struggling with relationships, having a crisis in your personal life, facing bereavement or illness, in an abusive relationship or perhaps experiencing anxiety over work issues. You may have feelings of hopelessness, a lack of self-worth or confidence, depression or stress. Whatever the reasons for your present difficulties, these can be explored in counselling. Counselling can help you to reflect and work through any problems in an understanding, secure and safe environment.
Training, qualifications & experience
How I would Work with You
I am an Integrative counsellor, which means that I can offer you a variety of methods of counselling suited to your needs. I can work with you in a variety of ways (Person Centred, Cognitive Behavioural therapy (CBT), Transactional Analysis (TA) and basic Psychodynamic), to help you find a way through your difficulties, so that you find your own solutions. I offer both short term and long term counselling and have experience of working successfully with counselling students and Employee Assistance Providers.
I have co-ordinated training in the community adult education sector in north London for 20 years and have worked with an extremely diverse range of clients in terms of physical and emotional needs, which has led me to a counselling profession.
I have worked with a broad client group who have experienced anxiety, depression, bereavement, sexual abuse, relationship issues/difficulties, family issues, suicidal feelings, anger issues, OCD and domestic violence, as well as a number of other issues, including personality disorders and Asperger's syndrome. In addition, I also work with various organistions in Barnet and Enfield offering training/workshops in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Mindfulness, Transactional Analysis (TA), Assertiveness & Communication strategies and Self Esteem for their professional staff, as well as for their clients and college students.
My Qualifications & Training
Registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists), working to their code of ethics and am eligible to apply for accreditation status
PGCE in Post-16 Education & Training (University of Hertfordshire)
Diploma in Integrative Therapeutic Counselling (Aylesbury College)
Certificate in CBT (Amersham & Wycombe College)
Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy Course for Personal/Professional Development (8 weeks)
Introduction to Mindfulness (ECLIPSE, Barnet)
Counselling for Couples (Various short courses and workshops including: Langley Therapy, Herts and Riverwood Counselling and Wellbeing Practice, St. Neots)
Introduction to Autism for Counsellors (Counselling Works and Training LLP, Milton Keynes)
Borderline Personality Disorder Workshop (Barnet, Enfield & Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust)
Adult Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) (2 Day Course. Future Path, Barnet)
Neuro-Linguistic Programming (Barnet College)
Safeguarding & Child Protection for Professionals with Designated Responsibility (Group 4)(Barnet Council)
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (Staff Training Barnet & Southgate College)
BSc (Hons) 1st Class, Environmental Studies (University of Hertfordshire)
NVQ Training & Development Level 3 (Oaklands College)
HNC Business & Administration (Glyndwr University/NEWI)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Group therapy
Photos & videos
FREE Introductory Session for Individuals & Couples
I offer an initial FREE 50 minute assessment session where we can discuss your needs, giving you the opportunity to ask questions and explore together the best way, for you, to move forward.
Fees at Welwyn
Sessions in Welwyn are charged at £40 per counselling hour for individuals (50 minutes) and £52 per hour for couples (60 minutes)
Fees at Colindale
Sessions in Colindale are charged at £45 per counselling hour (50 minutes) and £57 per hour for couples (60 minutes).
Student/other concessions may be available. Please enquire for further details.
Where I Offer Counselling
Counselling sessions in Old Welwyn are held in my conservatory overlooking my peaceful garden. There is free road parking. I offer Thursday afternoon/evening and weekend morning appointments. (Please see photos above)
In Colindale, they are held at The Colindale Communities Trust's Venue, (15 Osler Court, Charcot Road, NW9 5XW) in the heart of Colindale which is close to public transport links, including both tube (nearest tube is Colindale)/ bus and there is also nearby free road parking. I offer evening appointments here between 6.30pm and 9.30pm.
Feedback Comments from Previous Counselling Clients
- 'Nicola offered the space and tools to reflect on our situation and move forward positively. It's been great to work together as a couple with the expertise of someone who was neutral and ensured that we didn't get caught up in the conflict. It's breathed a new lease of life into our relationship. Thank you so much! You've added so much value to our lives and I'm so grateful to be closer than ever with my partner.' (Anon, Couple, Nov 2018)
- It was helpful to have a safe place to resolve conflict and learn communication methods. I'm much happier within my relationship and that's made me more excited for the future. Nicola has been an amazing counsellor. She has helped to keep my relationship together. I'm looking forward to my individual counselling sessions.' (Anon, Couple, Nov 2018).
- 'The sessions provided me with a safe space to explore and unpack some deep rooted issues. I always felt held and supported and listened to and the interventions offered were conducive to my development. Thank you Nicola. I have found my voice and developed greatly working with you!' (Anon, Oct 2018)
- 'I found the CBT resources (Unhelpful Thinking Habits and the STOPP worksheet) useful. They helped me recognise what I was feeling and how to overcome the feelings. Having someone to talk to without judgement has been reassuring.' (Anon, Oct 2018)
- I found counselling very helpful and it has changed my outlook on my future dramatically.' (Anon, Oct 2018)
- 'Counselling has given me the opportunity to have a safe place to think and talk about my feelings and I feel stronger to move on. I didn't miss any days off work because of the counselling support which I received.' (Anon, Oct 2018)
- 'It was helpful to talk through issues and understand that there is a way forward with coping with it'. (Anon, Oct 2018)
- 'It was good to have a neutral person in the room who could mediate the discussions. The tools for communication were very useful and helped to create structured, health dialogue'.
- ‘Natural ' closure. Feel I have the tools needed to move forward for the first time in a long time. Nicola has a soft approach that suited me. Very flexible/accommodating. I believe counselling can be useful. It's good to have someone without an agenda to support you through challenging times.’
- 'Relaxing and practical in her approach. A variety of methods were used to find the most suitable for for me & I've benefited as a result. Useful tools & guides to use outside the sessions.'
- 'I have found the sessions extremely helpful for my well being & mind. I have grown in confidence & have become more assertive using the tools I have learnt.'
- Nicola was very supportive and understanding. We spoke a lot about communicating with other people (relatives and friends).
- The opportunity to analyse and discuss. Looking at communication and the drama triangle.'
- 'Being able to express my feelings without being judged and to have someone to listen to me and hear what I am saying.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evenings and Saturday mornings.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|