Karina Nickson MBACP
Hello and welcome. My name is Karina, I am a psychodynamic counsellor and psychotherapist based in High Peak, Derbyshire.
I offer long and short-term individual counselling and psychotherapy which is delivered in a confidential, secure and caring space. During our work I will offer a non-judgemental perspective whilst you explore and reflect on past and present difficulties and how they could be impacting your life and wellbeing.
I am a psychodynamically and integratively trained counsellor and psychotherapist which enables me to draw on a wealth of theories, tools and techniques to fully tailor my service to meet your needs.
I am a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and adhere to their Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I receive regular professional supervision and participate in frequent Continued Professional Development to ensure that I provide the highest level of service. I am fully insured and hold an enhanced DBS certificate.
I offer a free 20 minute telephone consultation to discuss your needs and desires from our work and to answer any questions you might have.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have been a professional therapist for over 10 years, originally working with many clients with my work as a Reflexologist.
In 2013 I decided to fulfil one of my life ambitions and began my training to be a counsellor and psychotherapist, qualifying in 2016. It has been one of the best and most fulfilling decisions I have ever made and has enabled me to have the privilege of supporting many clients on their own personal journeys.
Aside from my work in private practice, I have worked both with a local domestic abuse service, supporting people affected by abusive relationships and for a charitable organisation which supports homeless people and those in threat of homelessness.
- Aim Award Level 4 Diploma in Counselling Practice – Psychodynamic.
- Aim Awards Level 3 Certificate in Counselling – Integrative.
- AQA Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills – Integrative.
- AQA Level 2 Working with Loss and Grief.
- AQA Level 2 Award in Counselling Concepts – Integrative.
- Certificate in Understanding Domestic Abuse.
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency
- BACP registration – 374214
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Initial telephone consultation (20-30 minutes) – Free
- Counselling/Psychotherapy - face to face - £40 (50 minutes)
- Counselling/Psychotherapy – Video/Telephone call - £40 (50 minutes)
- Counselling/Psychotherapy – Video/Telephone call lunch time appointments - £40 (50 minutes) £25 (30 minutes) Limited availability.
- Block bookings available 6 sessions – £230.
For face-face sessions, payment can be made prior to our session via BACs or in cash or cheque during our session.
Payments for video/telephone sessions must be made by BACs prior to our session.
Cancellations before 48 hours will be free of charge, all pre-paid sessions will be carried over or reimbursed if desired.
Non-attendance without notice will be charged at full cost.
If you are claiming the cost of your sessions back through your health insurance, I can provide an invoice with the relevant information.
Are you a student counsellor looking for therapy to support your training and development? If so please get in touch to discuss a discounted rate.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I have weekday, evening and weekend appointments available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|