Julia Summers MBACP - Friendly Professional Psychotherapist
Do you want to understand why you feel or behave the way you do? Do you feel like you now want to change something? Whatever has brought you to this point be assured that you will get a friendly welcome in a professional and relaxing environment. If you would like I offer a free consultation, just call, text or email me to arrange this.
I am a fully qualified professional counsellor who works with adults, young people and children in central Manchester and Ilkley. My clients, like you, all have unique experiences, relationships and lives. Some people come to me knowing exactly what they want to work through or change, some feel confused and may not fully understand why they feel the way they do. I will be someone who will be there to help support you through this time and any change you want.
Together we use the sessions at your pace to work through things, you get the time and space you need. I wont make judgements about you and your life, I will listen to what you have to say and together we will work through the things that are important.
I have years of experience working with different complexities of problems and I work with people on a long or short term basis. Typically people come to me because they seek understanding, you may feel unable to cope without something changing in your life, have anxiety, stress, depression, self destructive behaviours, addictions, relationship, trust or family problems, be affected by stress or anxiety related illness, feel overwhelmed, struggling at work, school or university, feeling unfulfilled, lost or sad etc.
I provide you with a discrete professional and confidential counselling service. If you have any concerns about confidentiality this can be discussed in a consultation.
If getting to an appointment is difficult I offer alternative convenient solutions which may suit you better such as telephone, Skype, FaceTime and email counselling. For some people this is helpful if they have family/work commitments, disabilities or have difficultly attending the practices for whatever reason.
I also offer group and individual support for organisations. I offer counselling to staff in small businesses who need support at work or during periods of sickness/absence. Providing counselling to your staff is tax deductible and can reduce staff absence, assist with those needing help to return to work or for staff in a consultation period. Please get in touch with your businesses individual requirements.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Julia Summers MBACP, Dip Counselling, BSc (Hons)Psych
- Integrative Counselling Training
- Full clear Enhanced DBS check
- Member and on the Register of the British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP)
- I work with adults, children, young people, couples, families, groups and businesses.
- I have worked in schools supporting those with problems associated with confidence, anxiety, health anxiety, self harm, bullying, family issues and those affected by loss/bereavement etc
- Specialist GAMCARE counsellor for people affected by problem gambling.
- Volunteer work at several charities for people who otherwise could not afford counselling, these have included: children's charities, working with NHS referred adults affected by sexual abuse and their families, providing support to people affected by cancer and other illnesses.
- Employee Assistance Programs (EAP)- working with businesses to help support staff. I also offer direct employee counselling which can be offset against taxable profits this is available to sole traders, partnerships and small businesses saving you the cost of working directly with EAP providers who may be more costly.
- Work in an NHS funded charity counselling survivors/affected families of sexual abuse.
- Over 20 years working with people affected by debt issues
- Qualified Trainer - Level 3 Award for Education & Training (Formally PTLLS)
- Extensive experience counselling university and school pupils, students and teachers.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Bereavement & Loss
- Laughter Therapy
- Sexual Abuse & associated issues
- Eating Disorders
- Self-Harm (Problem Coping Mechanisms)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Working with Children and Young People
- Sand Tray, Puppets, Figures, Art & Play work
- Anxiety including social, physical, health, work, school etc
- Addictions including working with problem gambling
- Couples Counselling
- Family Group Sessions
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I work with a number of businesses to provide counselling and psychotherapy services to their staff soing group sessions or individual sessions.
- Coping with consultation/redundancy matters
- Workplace stress
- Emotional issues at work - aimed at frontline staff who may be affected by client/customer contacts
- Team issues
- Long term illness/return to work support
Please contact me with your requirements and I will be happy to discuss options available.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
Photos & videos
- Free initial consultation via phone/email
- Individual Session Cost £50 Menston/ £70 Manchester
- Couples sessions £70 Menston
- Family Group Session £130 Menston. A double session is recommended for the first session.
- Sessions available face to face, telephone or online.
- Supervision £70 Manchester 1hr 30 mins
Online Counselling - I also offer counselling and psychotherapy online because it allows my clients to access my services even if they have a busy, challenging and/or unpredictable work/life. It is great for those working long hours who travel alot, for those with children who find getting time for themselves is difficult, for young people and for those who have difficulty leaving their homes. Working this way is just as effective as face to face counselling and some people like to combine working with me in this way with occasional face to face sessions if it is convenient.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Day, evening and weekend appointments.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a fully qualified friendly professional supervisor. Together we will work collaboratively to support your counselling practice in a constructive relaxed learning environment. I use the seven eyed process model and the integrated development model. I work with individuals who are person centred and integrative, newly qualified, in-training or in need of a change of supervisor. Please get in touch to book your first session or if you have any questions.View supervision profile