Therapy for women
I am an experienced UPCA registered psychotherapeutic counsellor, specialising in individual therapy for women. I work from consulting rooms in central Lewes, just minutes from the train station.
I am happy to talk about whatever matters to you. Coming to therapy can be a big leap; talking to a stranger about private, sometimes very vulnerable matters can be incredibly daunting. I hope to provide a warm, accepting place for you to unpack and unpick whatever it is that you need to.
I have experience in working with a wide variety of experiences and issues, including depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress and pre / post natal experiences. I have particular expertise in recovering from emotional, physical and sexual abuse, and also working with substance misuse - particularly in supporting a difficult recovery or sobriety journey.
Please do get in touch if you would like to arrange a session. Whether we meet or not, I hope you find a resolution to whatever brings you searching.
All my very best
Training, qualifications & experience
I work integratively, which means that I draw on various models and theories in my work. I was initially trained in three major approaches to therapy;
- psychodynamic - explores how our past influences our present
- person-centred - which focuses on the relationship between the therapist and client, specifically how the therapist is towards the client (accepting, warm, non-judgmental) and has a deep faith in the client's capacity for healing and change
- existentialism - explores how we relate to the big questions of life, or the fundamental limitations of our existence
I am a Brainspotting Practitioner: Brainspotting is a way of accessing and processing memories and feelings using eye positions, and can be very effective for processing trauma.
I also draw on various other approaches, such as attachment, systemic theory and bio-psycho-social theories of trauma, which means that I am able to tailor my approach depending on the individual needs of my client.
I have also carried out further training in Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, and various other trainings on specific issues. I feel it is important to keep learning and growing in my personal and professional life.
I have worked in various projects supporting adult survivors and adolescent girls experiencing domestic and sexual violence in their intimate relationships including partners and parents, parents who have conflictual and difficult relationships with their children, and I have also previously worked in the addictions field.
I have also run support groups for women affected by domestic and sexual violence, looking deeply at the issues of power and control in their relationship, and the trauma that they have sustained as a result of their intimate partner's actions. Additionally, I have provided training and consultation to social services around the dynamics of familial abuse and supporting survivors.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Attachment disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
I charge £50 per hour per 50 minute session.
Concessions: I do have a couple of low cost appointments at £25 per 50 minute session for those that cannot afford my full fee or who are on a low income. Please ask about this when we speak.
I operate a 48 hour cancellation policy.
- Learning to trust yourself after an emotionally abusive relationship
- Giving up alcohol: dealing with a craving
- When abusive relationships end: a complex grief
- Supporting a friend or loved one who is experiencing intimate partner abuse
- Historical sexual trauma: some effects on pregnancy and labour
- Choosing a counsellor when dealing with issues of abuse
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work on a Friday daytime and Saturday mornings. Please do get in touch for my up to date appointment availability.