Eleni S. MacLean
Thank you for visiting my profile. I am a qualified and experienced Person Centred Counsellor/ Psychotherapist, and I am currently offering individuals sessions to adults and young people (16+).
My experience has been quite varied, having worked for different community based, local and national organisations in Edinburgh and wider Scotland. I have carried out specialised work on areas such as unpaid Carers, families, single parents, adolescents and young adults, autism and developmental difficulties, domestic violence, trauma and addictions. Alongside my private practice, I am currently coordinating a counselling service for single parents as well as practicing in a University based students counselling service.
My approach in therapy draws heavily from Humanistic theories and practices in Counselling and Psychotherapy. This means that as a therapist, during your counselling sessions, I will invest in building a trustful, authentic relationship with you. You should expect to feel welcome and treated with respect, without judgement. I will be interested in hearing your own story and anything you choose to bring to counselling at this particular instance. I will work at your own pace and I will maintain an appreciation and regard in understanding your circumstances from your own point of view. I will be ‘checking in’ with you at times and I will ask you for feedback. This is so that I can help you assess how your sessions go, understand what parts you find helpful as well as the ones that you find unhelpful or difficult.
Length of therapy and endings
I will help you discuss and assess the length of time in counselling that is relevant and suitable for you in this instance. You may decide how long you wish to engage in therapy from the onset or you may also be unsure. There is no right or wrong amount of length in therapy and can vary between individuals or between different times in one’s life. Sometimes it may also depend on circumstances beyond your control such as finances, giving birth or moving house that may determine this length of time. You may but you do not have to decide in the first session or sessions. A lot of the times, endings in counselling happen ‘organically’ when you feel that a welcome shift, change or growth has taken place since we started working together and you become more and more hopeful that you do not need to see me anymore. Endings is an important part of therapy and I will help you talk about ending therapy to my best capacity.
Thank you again for visiting my profile. If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate, I will do my best to answer promptly.
Training, qualifications & experience
- PGDip Counselling and Psychotherapy (2014), University of Strathclyde, Scotland.
- PGCert Communication and Counselling Skills (2009), Institute for Counselling and Psychological Studies, Athens, Greece.
- MSc Developmental Psychology (2008), University of Lancaster, UK.
- BA Houns Psychology (2006), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
Continuous Professional Development / Interests:
- Integrating artwork into counselling - BACP (2018).
- Children & Young People’s Experience of Domestic Abuse - Scottish Women’s Aid (2017).
- Understanding the Dynamics of Domestic Abuse - Scottish Women’s Aid (2017).
- Working with Trans-identified and Trans-historied clients - BACP (2016).
- SHARE Sexual Health and Relationships Training for young people - NHS (2016).
- Survive & Thrive Psycho-education for Survivors of Complex Trauma - NHS (2016).
- ASIST Applied Suicide Intervention Training - Choose Life (2016).
- SMART Recovery Training for Facilitators - SMART Recovery UK (2015).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
My fees are £50 per session for individuals.
If you wish to discuss a concession rate, please contact me.
I offer a free initial consultation phone call (up to 15 mins). Please contact me to arrange one at a suitable time.
I operate part time admin times throughout the week. I will ensure to respond to your inquiry within 48 hrs.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
- Currently available on Mondays, daytime.
Types of client