Claire Broomes BA (Hons), DipHE, BACP Registered Counsellor
A warm welcome to you and thank you for taking the time to look at my profile. I understand that recognising and deciding that you need some additional support in your life is a significant and sometimes a daunting place to be. It is also an important step towards a happier and more fulfilling life. However, it can feel confusing and even overwhelming to then decide on which way to turn or who the right person is for you to share your journey with. In the paragraphs that follow, I will tell you a little bit about myself, how I work and what I can offer, as well talk about my training and experience to date, which I hope will help to make this important step seem a little clearer for you. If you do have any questions then I would be happy to hear from you.
A flexible way of working
I provide a supportive, warm and nonjudgmental environment where you can, if you want to, explore your inner most thoughts and feelings confidentially and safely. As you are the expert on you, I am not here to give you advice, rather listen attentively and support you by providing the right conditions for personal growth and change. My counselling approach is Humanistic and Integrative and can be described as, holistic, collaborative, flexible and creative and is ultimately underpinned by my passion for helping. Working within an integrative framework, enables me to to draw from a wide range of skills and techniques, acquired from the study of several core models of counselling. These include Gestalt, CBT, Transactional Analysis and Existential approaches. Therefore, I am able to tailor your counselling according to what you need, complimenting your unique, individual self.
Complimentary 30 minute initial session
I offer a complimentary 30 minute initial assessment, where you can meet with me, get a feel for how I work and whether I am the right counsellor for you. This is not a counselling session, rather an opportunity to briefly discuss what is troubling you; what I can offer and each of us assess whether it is right for us to work together.
Ethical and Professional service
As a member of the BACP (British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists) I adhere to their Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions (2016) which sets out a code of ethics and guidance for good practice which informs my counselling practice. This ensures that our work together will be of the highest standard with a strong and ethical foundation from which to build.
Training, qualifications & experience
My counselling background
In addition to my private practice, I have worked as a counsellor in a variety of different contexts, gaining in-depth experience, knowledge and further training to qualify me to work with a broad range of issues. This includes working for a bereavement charity where I provided counselling support to grieving adults, as well as other issues associated with their loss, such as loneliness; family breakdown; financial implications and further losses such as security/home.
I spent several years working for a young persons organisation, supporting young people for a wide range of issues including stress; bullying; self-harm; depression; low self-esteem; childhood sexual abuse; identity issues and many more.
More recently I had the privilege of working for a cancer charity, providing short and long term support to adults whose lives have been affected by a diagnosis of cancer as well as their families and/or carers.
Finally, until recently, I worked for an EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) as a helpline counsellor, providing emotional and counselling support to clients for a wide range of issues both in and out of the workplace, including mental health issues; suicidal ideation; bullying and harassment; addictions and sexual assault.
- BA (Hons) Humanistic & Integrative Counselling (First Class)
- Higher Ed. Diploma (DipHE) Humanistic Gestalt Counselling (Distinction)
- ABC Diploma (Level 3) Counselling Skills - (Pass)
- Certificate in Basic Counselling Skills.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Existential dilemmas
- Expanding vision and practice
- Working safely to safeguard vulnerable adults
- Working smart with social media
- Suicide prevention and awareness
- PREVENT training
- Safeguarding children and young people
- Identifying, managing and reducing risk
- Substance misuse
- Managing anxiety
- Suicide and loss of a child
- Stress management
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Existential dilemmas
- An initial assessment session of 30 minutes is offered free of charge (this is not a counselling session)
- Individual counselling sessions are 50 minutes in duration and charged at £45.00
- 24 Hours cancellation notice is required for any appointments, otherwise the full fee is payable
- Payment is accepted by cash or bank transfer, payable in advance or at the session and receipts are available on request
- Sessions are offered on a one to one basis, usually weekly and last for 50 minutes
- Face to face and telephone counselling is available
- Appointments available Monday to Friday, both daytime and evening appointments available.
- My work is regularly supervised in accordance with BACP guidelines
- I am DBS (enhanced) checked and fully insured
- Counselling is offered in Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh Hampshire (SO53), close to Southampton, Winchester and Romsey surrounding areas.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and evening appointments available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|