Anita Masilamani MSC, CHARTERED COUNSELLING PSYCHOLOGIST, ASSOCIATE FELLOW
I am a chartered counselling psychologist and associate fellow registered with the BPS and HCPC. I have been working privately for 21 years. I am Anglo Indian half Indian and half English from my mother's side. I spent 25 years in India and studied in English boarding schools and universities. I am Asian 57 years old and have spent 32 years in the UK.
I completed my first masters in psychology 1986 in India and left for the UK. I have my second masters with BPS in the UK 2002. This has deepened my knowledge of living in two cultures and find this experience very helpful when working with people who left home or moved countries and even towns to then suffer specific problems related to this transition.
I have been studying psychology from 1981and practicing from 1998. I work integrative ly but lean towards cognitive behavioural psychology. I personally have been in therapy for five years uncovering and working towards understanding my clients .
i have worked at the Portsmouth university counselling students, Mind, Hospitals and in GP surgeries.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a double masters and have worked in voluntary organisations, hospitals, GP surgeries and Portsmouth university as part time counsellor. This has furthered my knowledge of working with different cultures, illness, young adults and people with emotional problems.
I am a BUPA, AXA, AVIVA, service provider and I am on their website of counsellors where counselling is free for their client. I work for insurance companies who send clients with PTSD symptoms.
The main areas of my work include:
- pain management
- illness as well as terminal illness
- obsessive compulsive disorders
- gender identification
- sexual problems.
- gay and lesbian couples
- fetishes eg. Nasophillia, muchophillia, cross dressing, voyerism etc
- relationship problems
- cultural problems- adjustment to the btitish culture, depression migrating, confusion with both cultural values, accents, language, isolation, etc
- immigrants from india srilanka Romania Mexico Poland and other...
- speak tamil in counselling asians
- IVF, fertility and pregnancy care
- othello syndrome - increased jealousy
- couple counselling
- family therapy
- student counselling
- breast and prostrate cancer support
- religious issues
- rape crisis
- body dysmorphia
- adoption / adoptee issues
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Pain management, sexual identity issues, rape and sexual issues, fetishes and paraphillia
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
Please call to discuss as I also work on a sliding scale where necessary. Especially for students younger people and low income earners. I am happy to listen and work with a problem you have about the fee.I charge a higher fee after 5 30 pm , Saturday and urgent appointments including Sunday evening .
if you are working for a company that has a service for EAP counselling then AVIVA , BUPA and AXA ppp health care will pay for your sessions when you see me .
I find myself very interested in mindfulness, the Buddhism philosophy and meditation. I otherwise do yoga and jive dancing.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Wheelchair user access:||No|
Have out door open setting when not cold . Happy to sit in cars with clients who are disabled .
Monday to Saturday 8 am to 5 30. Appoints at 6 pm and 7 pm on request .happy to speak on phone what’s app and face time
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a chartered counselling psychologist and associate fellow with HCPC and BPS.