Anita Masilamani MSC.(India) MSC( UK) C Psychol. Associate fellow, BPS. HCPC
07976 735 239
I am a chartered counselling psychologist and associate fellow registered with the BPS and HCPC. I have been working privately for 19years. I am Anglo Indian half Indian and half English from my mother's side. I spent 25 years in India and studied in English boarding schools and universities.
I completed my masters in psychology 1986 and left for the UK. I have my second masters with BPS in the UK. This has deepened my knowledge of living in two cultures and find this experience very helpful when working with people who left home or moved countries and even towns to then suffer specific problems related to this transition.
I have been studying psychology from 1981and practicing from 1998. I work integrative ly but lean towards cognitive behavioural psychology. I personally have been in therapy for five years uncovering and working towards understanding my clients in a similar situation .
i have worked at the Portsmouth university, counselling students, and in the NHS.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a double masters and have worked in voluntary organisations, hospitals, GP surgeries and Portsmouth university as part time counsellor. This has furthered my knowledge of working with different cultures, illness, young adults and people with emotional problems.
I am a BUPA service provider and I am on their website of counsellors where counselling is free for their client. I work for insurance companies who send clients with PTSD symptoms.
The main areas of my work include:
- pain management
- illness as well as terminal illness
- obsessive compulsive disorders
- gender identification
- sexual problems.
- gay and lesbian couples
- fetishes eg. Nasophillia, muchophillia, cross dressing, voyerism etc
- relationship problems
- cultural problems- adjustment to the btitish culture, depression migrating, confusion with both cultural values, accents, language, isolation, etc
- immigrants from india srilanka Romania Mexico Poland and other...
- speak tamil in counselling asians
- IVF, fertility and pregnancy care
- othello syndrome - increased jealousy
- couple counselling
- family therapy
- student counselling
- breast and prostrate cancer support
- religious issues
- rape crisis
- body dysmorphia
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Pain management, sexual identity issues, rape and sexual issues, fetishes and paraphillia
- Cognitive analytic therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Family/systemic therapy
Please call to discuss as I also work on a sliding scale where necessary. Especially for students younger people and low income earners. I am happy to listen and work with a problem you have about the fee.I charge a higher fee on weekends Saturday and Sunday and urgent appointments .And the same for couple counselling On a weekend.I do charge the full amount for DNA and cancelled sessions on the day.
I do have a card machine that accepts debit and various credit cards
if you are working for a company that has a service for EAP counselling then AVIVA , BUPA and AXA ppp health care will pay for your sessions when you see me .
I find myself very interested in mindfulness, the Buddhism philosophy and meditation. I otherwise do yoga and jive dancing.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Saturday 8 am to 8 30pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a chartered counselling psychologist and associate fellow with HCPC and BPS.