Alana Burton | Southdowns Psychotherapy | Dip TA Practice, MBACP
Hello and welcome to my page.
It can often be quite daunting looking through profiles to find the right therapist for you so I hope the following will give you a little more info about me and can help you to decide whether I am the right person for you.
In my practice I offer a safe, supportive and confidential space for you to explore emotional obstacles and difficulties such as anxiety, depression or stress related issues. I work both short term and longer-term with adults and adolescents. I work in different locations; Washington (easily reached from Storrington, Steyning, Worthing, West Chilt, Thakeham) and Christ's Hospital, Horsham.
My main training is in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy which is a model of psychotherapy that offers a framework and map that can be used to understand the structure of our personalities and our individual emotional makeup.
If you have ever found yourself stuck in a rut, maybe aware that certain behaviours, thoughts or feelings in your life feel destructive and are no longer working for you, Transactional Analysis therapy can help. Together we can untangle emotions and break down what is going on for you into manageable areas. You will learn what makes you tick and how to build new coping strategies to help you going forward.
Sometimes clarity can happen after a relatively short amount of time, and sometimes a longer journey of self-discovering and awareness is useful. I work with every client in a different way according to their hopes and intentions for therapy and what they want for themselves. Whether you are aware of what you want to change or not, together we will build on self-awareness, self-compassion and resilience to help you lead a more fulfilling life.
I am also trained in complex traumas, PTSD, suicide and suicide prevention, LGBTQ+ issues.
I am a member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and work in accordance with their Codes of Ethics and Professional Practice.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Transactional Analysis Practice (Dip.TA Practice)
- Registered Member of BACP (MBACP)
- Advanced Clinical Training in Transactional Analysis (Level 7)
- Diploma level training in Trauma and Recovery Training including Attachment, Attachment Disorders, Trauma in children, Severe and Complex Trauma
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
- ASIST trained (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training)
- Psychosexual therapy
- LGBTQ+ awareness
- Certified Paws b Mindfulness Programme Teacher
I am also in continued professional training towards my CTA (Certified Transactional Analyst) qualification.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
Individual: From £45/session.
I work from several bases within West Sussex so please let me know your preferred location when getting in touch. Washington is easily reached from surrounding villages such as Storrington, Steyning, Thakeham, Coolham, Ashington etc. and Christ's Hospital is convenient for Horsham and the surrounding areas. I will have different availability covering daytime and evening appointments at each location.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Washington location is wheelchair accessible but currently the room at Christ's Hospital is not.
Appointments available: Washington - Thursday and Friday. Christ's Hospital - Tuesday and Wednesday.
Types of client