You are your own expert
10th May, 20150 Comments
So what does this actually mean?
How many times do you listen to other people's opinions? Maybe you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings? People pleasers don't like doing that, I know as I am a recovering people pleaser! The more we listen to others and the more we focus on what society thinks we 'should' do the more we drift away from our truth.
We are our own expert however we just have to tune into it. What anyone says about us or our situation is none of our business. Once we are able to accept that last sentence things start to fall into place for us in the most positive ways possible. That is our starting point recognising and acknowledging that it's none of our business.
So how do we tune into our truth?
- Know what your core values are.
- Understand what you will and won't accept in your life.
- Recognise you are responsible for everything that happens in your life.
- Listening to your body, you'll be surprised what it tells you when you're really tuned in.
- It's ok to say no, we can say whatever we want as long as it is said with love and kindness.
- Being authentic .
- Being grateful for what you have right now and I don't just mean material things.
- Being kind and gentle with yourself in each moment.
- Acknowledge life is working progress and embrace each experience as it is.
We can procrastinate as much as we want and try and convince ourselves that we have to make this decision or that sacrifice because "they" won't like it, whoever they are! We know when we need help be it with getting support with an addiction or increasing our self-esteem or maybe with a healthy balanced lifestyle ,there are people out there who can provide that support in many different ways if and when we chose it rather than when we are told it.
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” - Winston Churchill
Related articles from our experts
Dahlian KirbyApril 7th, 2018
Marissa Walter Dip Therapeutic Counselling, MBACP (Reg) NCS (Accred Reg)April 5th, 2018
Andrew Harvey Counsellor & Therapist, In NottinghamApril 16th, 2018
Keeley Townsend BA (Hons), Ad.Dip.CP with Distinction, MNCS (Acc)December 14th, 2009
Imi Lo: Psychotherapist, Art Therapist & Author (MMH,UKCP,HCPC,FRSA,MBPsS)March 29th, 2015
Andrea Harrn Psychotherapist and Author of The Mood CardsMay 13th, 2011
Counselling Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.