Troubled minds - a question of mental health
Troubled minds – a question of mental health
This workshop offers a different and dynamic way of learning.
A fringe theatre approach to training involving powerful first-person dramatised encounters facilitated by Dr Iain Bourne. An enjoyable and memorable way to explore the complexities of people troubled by their mental health and identifying practical ways to enable and assist them in their lives.
What you gain from this workshop:
- An understanding of the range of mental health issues encountered in counselling practice
- An understanding of how mental health services are organized and mental health legislation is used
- An opportunity to explore mental illness, personality disorder and other mental health issues
- Insights into the relationship between anxiety, stress and depression
- Strategies for working with people troubled by hallucinations, delusions and paranoia
- Ideas about the range of ways in which it is possible to support clients who struggle with their mental health
- An opportunity to discuss issues around labelling, discrimination, differing approaches, difficulties in accessing services and any other relevant issues.
This is a one-day course.
The day starts at 9.30am, so you will need to arrive by 9.15am. The day finishes at 4.30pm prompt, but Iain will remain behind at the end should you want to talk to him individually. Lunch is at 1.00pm for 40 minutes and there are mid-morning and afternoon breaks.
The workshop will begin by getting to grips with what we mean by mental health and ill-heath, diagnosis, the mental health system and legislation.
Throughout, a range of mental health issues will be examined through dramatised and narrated encounters with clients allowing for a more focused opportunity to link theory and practice – and providing a springboard for exploring mental health issues in greater depth.
While Iain will try to include as much as he can in the time available, the programme may be adapted to meet the group’s main interests.
To book onto this workshop please email firstname.lastname@example.org
About the host
Sarah Taylor is an Accredited member of the BACP who works in Private Practice in Nottingham City Centre. She facilitates the Nottingham BACP Private Practice Network meetings every two months and also helps organise not for profit training in Nottingham for Nottingham Counsellors Group.