False intimacy: Care for the sexually addicted from a Christian transpersonal perspective
False intimacy is a one-day conference addressing the pastoral issues faced by those helping people struggling with pornography use and sex addiction from a Christian transpersonal perspective. It is intended as an introduction to the topic of sexual addiction for non-counsellors who know there is a problem and are wanting to understand how to support those struggling with it.
For therapists: The day may be of use to therapists who have Christian clients struggling with sexual addictions as it may provide insight as to how a Christian transpersonal world view may impact, aid and be used during the therapeutic process for such individuals.
The organisers can provide a certificate of attendance if required. It will be up for the therapist to discuss with their professional organisation(s) if this can be counted towards CPD.
The day is designed to have both interactive and presentation elements.
What is covered: Following the framework of, ‘a person walks into my room, what next...?’ the sessions will take a look at:
- Addiction one: How sexual addiction can have an increasing impact on an individual’s life. What is going on may be much more than at first appears.
- Addiction two: Introduction to addictive cycles, brain chemistry and triggers to behaviour.
- Addiction three: Introductory exploration of the shame / fear based thoughts and feelings behind addiction.
- Support 1: The need for transparency, accountability, vulnerability and working through shame.
- Support 2: Consideration of appropriate support for partners and wider community.
- Support 3: Thinking through the journey ahead, courses, counselling and online options.
To Book: Tickets are available on Eventbrite: http://goo.gl/QYCIx0
Please note that space is limited. Lunch will not be provided, but there are many places to get food locally.
About the host
Peter Watts is a Registered Member of the BACP and Member of the ACC. He has had about 10 years experience supporting those struggling with sexual addictions. He has run courses based in the Christian transpersonal, facilitated in support / recovery groups for men and spoken about these issues internationally over the past 5 years.