Following your initial enquiry regarding the child or young person you are concerned about, I will give a prompt response and arrange a telephone conversation followed by a consultation within 7 working days for you as the parent or carer (without the child being present).
Then I may recommend an individual assessment for the child/young person.
This means that they come for 3 sessions (of 50 minutes each). At the end of the 3 session assessment I review the out come with you as parent(s), outlining at that stage what the main themes of the child's assessment have been (without the child present).
At the review, I would be making a recommendation about an appropriate way forward for the child and family in respect of treatment.
There are a number of options that can be considered depending on what arises in the assessment, for example:
- the child may need weekly psychotherapy sessions for at least an academic year
- the young person may need to have more frequent sessions (e.g. 2 sessions a week)
- or the parent(s) may need regular parental support sessions to give meaning to the distressing behaviour the child is showing.
If individual psychotherapy is needed it is good practice in Child & Adolescent Work to promote the importance of Parental Support work to support and maintain the child's therapy and this is done in parallel.
I work with pre school & primary school children, adolescents, parents and families with a range of complex psychological difficulties and disorders.
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained as a Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist at the Tavistock Clinic in London qualifying with a Masters in Child and Adolescent Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy. Prior to my Post Graduate Training I held Senior Practitioner roles in Adoption & Fostering Teams in London both in the public and private sector.
As well as substantial experience over many years in the NHS Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS), I have concurrently run a private practice as NHS provision is still very limited.
As well as having a thriving private practice in Perth, Scotland until recently I held a Principal Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist position in an NHS CAMHS Team in another region.
I have extensive clinical experience in treating: Anxiety, Attachment problems, abuse, self harm, disordered eating, depression, body dysmorphia, issues arising from parental separation /divorce, and adoption-related problems.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Looked after and adopted children and young people ( related issues)
Internet addiction (compulsive use of digital technology) - which interferes with day to day living
Digital world addiction and dependency
Gender identity disorder or gender dysphoria .
Photos & videos
Fees will be discussed at the point of referral.
- I am a full member of the Association Of Child Psychotherapists - for my professional credentials, see www.childpsychotherapy.org.uk (under find a Therapist) The ACP is registered by the Professional Standards Authority. Please click on the logos above for more detail on ACP & PSA.
- ACP registered child psychotherapists have completed an NHS child mental health based training ( Post Graduate ) which lasts for at least 4 years .
- I hold a full professional indemnity insurance which is renewed annually .
- I have monthly personal supervision by a Senior Tavistock Consultant Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist
- I have a PVG certificate ( Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme)
- I work to the ACP's code of Professional Conduct & Ethics - see website : www.childpsychotherapy.org for a copy of Code of Ethics.
- Within the last 3 years I have undertaken Child Protection training . (NHS)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
Supervision & training
I offer psychoanalytic supervision for clinicians working in the private or public sector who are working therapeutically with children , young people and their families.