Sarah Ward, BA (Hons), MBACP
By reading this, the chances are that you are considering whether counselling could help you. I know from experience that it takes courage to take that first step and reach out to someone.
I value the influences of the humanistic and person centred approaches, which means that I believe every person has the potential to unlock their own resources and find inner strength and the solutions to their own concerns. We just sometimes need help finding the right key. I may draw on other theories and techniques, as this gives me the freedom and flexibility to work in a way which best suits you as an individual and by working together we can identify and understand possible areas to look at more closely, whether they are present concerns or from the past.
I believe that being a counsellor is not just about what you read in books and what training you have, although these are undeniably important; but that it is about life experience.
All kinds of people from all walks of life experience things they didn't necessarily plan for. Sometimes people feel unable to talk to friends or family for fear of judgment or what the impact may be to others.
I am passionate about my work and fully committed to providing a safe space for people to explore their personal issues and worries. I believe the relationship between client and counsellor is at the heart of the counselling process; and I can offer an environment where you can explore these concerns in a relaxed, non-judgmental, safe environment.
I work from home in Leigh on Sea, close to main bus routes and with parking nearby.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BA (Hons) in counselling (First Class)
- Foundation Degree in Counselling (Distinction)
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency
- Mental Health Training (1) (Mind)
- Mental Health Training (2) (Mind)
- Psychological Trauma training (Mind)
- Introduction to Psychological Trauma (Mind)
- Psychological Trauma for Counsellors (Mind)
- Managing Anxiety (Mind)
- Suicide Awareness (Mind)
- Certificate in Counselling Supervision
- Moving your Practice Online training
- I have trained with Place2Be working in placement in Tower Hamlets
- I have volunteered for 18 months with Changing Pathways (formerly Basildon Women's Aid).
- I have 17 years' experience of working with children with emotional and behavioural difficulties.
- As well as my own private practice I am a staff counsellor with HARP (Southend's Homeless Charity) and a volunteer Trauma Counsellor with South East and Central Essex Mind.
I am a registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists) and as such work I work within their ethical framework for good practice in counselling and psychotherapy (www.bacp.co.uk) undertaking regular supervision and CPD.
I am also an Accredited Professional in Infant Loss (The Foundation for Infant Loss) and an Accredited Member of the National Counselling Society
Areas of counselling I deal with
£45 payable cash, bank transfer, or credit card, concessions are available, please ask.
So what to expect?
Firstly, I do know it feels scary, or even weird. This is a perfectly normal reaction.
In the first session I will carry out a brief assessment during which I hope to establish some general information about you. During this time we can also hopefully begin to get a feel for how working together will feel.
What happens next is individual to each client. Some can't wait to get started whereas some take longer. Both are fine and so is anything inbetween.
I work in my own home so the number of sessions is totally up to you. You may want 4 sessions, 40 or 400. I have the flexibility to work with your needs.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available on a variety of weekdays, evenings and weekends - please enquire as to what is mutually convenient.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am a person centred/integrative counsellor, working with all age groups in Leigh on Sea. I am currently able to offer some supervision appointments.View supervision profile