Hello I'm Lisa. Welcome to my profile. My life experiences have shaped who I am. I have travelled extensively and had a variety of job roles which have included, working with children, adult education and careers advice and guidance. My passion for helping others has lead me to where I am now, in my 40’s practising as a counsellor.
I am a qualified Integrative Counsellor and a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
I know through my own experience of finding the 'right' counsellor how overwhelming it can be with so much choice.
I can offer you a counselling service that is friendly, professional and affordable. With a choice of locations, I can see you either in the heart of Exeter, or at a venue close to the centre of Newton Abbot.
My approach to counselling:
I have a kind and warm personality. I aim to create a nurturing space where you feel at ease, supported, listened to and never feel judged. I believe in the power of talking therapy and the importance of building a solid foundation of trust within our counselling relationship.
The Person-Centred Approach is at the core of how we will work together and to further support the counselling process, I often draw on techniques from Gestalt Therapy, (CBT) Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Mindfulness.
You are the focus of the counselling work, so I will work in a way that is suited to your individual needs and goals.
While I am alongside you on your journey I will help you to connect with your ‘true’ self. I will support you to develop coping strategies, overcome your emotional challenges, achieve improved well-being and become empowered to make important life choices.
I can offer you counselling support for the following issues:
- Panic attacks
- PMS - self-care and coping strategies
- Health issues
- Menopause and Perimenopause
- Lack of motivation
- Social phobia
- Loss and letting go
- Low confidence and self-esteem
- Relationship and family issues
- Stress - to include exam related and work-related stress
- Making difficult life choices
My previous background was in mentoring and careers advice and guidance. I supported adults of all ages and sectors of the community back into employment or to make a career change.
I am passionate about 'being happy' in our chosen careers and employment choices as most of us are in work for much of our life. I think it is important that we are happy and content doing what we do! Otherwise the price we pay can be high and negatively impact on our well-being and could lead to developing anxiety, stress, insomnia, relationship problems, among many other issues.
Could you benefit from Careers Counselling?
I can support you to:
- Find a new career pathway if you feel frustrated or ‘stuck’ in your current situation
- Explore other careers that will give you more job satisfaction
- Change negative patterns of behaviour
- Recognise your unique skills
- Manage work related stress and difficult relationships at work
- Overcome issues that could be affecting your work life
- Understand how negative thoughts may be holding you back from success
- Develop your CV and cover letter
You may be experiencing stress at work that is stopping you from enjoying a job you otherwise like doing.
I can also support you with these work-related issues:
- Work performance stress
- Bullying or conflict with manager/ colleagues
- Depression and anxiety at work
- Confidence issues - low self-esteem at work
- Redundancy concerns
Let me help you to live the life you want and deserve.
Call me today for an appointment or text me on 07761084388.
Training, qualifications & experience
In private practice I receive referrals from individuals as well as professional organisations such as Anxiety UK. I also offer my counselling services voluntarily to an organisation supporting carers in Devon.
I hold a Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling having successfully completed course requirements, the required client counselling hours, my own individual personal therapy and supervision.
Training and Qualification
- CRUSE – Bereavement Care Awareness in Bereavement Care Foundation Course
- ABC Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- UKATA Introductory Transactional Analysis 101 Course
- NCFE Level 3 Award in Counselling Skills and Theory
- OCR Level 4 NVQ in Advice and Guidance
- OCR Level 3 NVQ in Advice and Guidance
- NOCN Introduction to Counselling Skills
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Equality and Diversity
- Early Bird Plus Parent Support Programme - The National Autistic Society
- Anxiety UK Approved Therapist
- 4 years of experience working as a Counsellor with Counselling for Carers, offering low cost counselling to adult carers in Devon
- Over a decade of experience in advice and guidance roles
- Experience of working with children in a learning support setting with an ASD and ADHD
- Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- I adhere to the code of ethics of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- I am fully insured and have an up to date DBS check
I am committed to my development as a counsellor and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and have completed training in:
- Eating Disorders
- Play Therapy
- The Fiction of Dreams
- LGBT+ (Training through Intercom Trust)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
As well as face to face counselling I offer telephone and Skype sessions. I am flexible with the hours that I work and when I could see you.
I believe that counselling should be accessible to everyone and I aim to provide an affordable counselling service. Therefore, I operate a sliding scale for counselling session fees, with the average fee for a counselling session at £43 for 60 minutes. I am flexible with the fee and offer concessions so please do ask.
I offer a concessionary rate if you are a student, unemployed or a student counsellor in training.
With no obligation contact me today, either call or text me on 07761084388, to discuss how I can support you. I can offer you a free short telephone consultation before you commit to an initial appointment.
On the Counselling Directory you can contact me directly by clicking on the ‘Email me’ button at the top of my profile.
A little bit about me:
I have always had a deep interest in psychology and our well-being. I am fascinated by the 'mind and body' connection and particularly interested in the impact the arts can have on our health and well-being. I am interested in other cultures and have travelled widely. Now in hindsight, I am grateful for my wanderlust as it enabled me to experience so many different cultures, people and places. I enjoy being creative and like to paint and write. I also like to keep healthy and enjoy Pilates, jogging (fantastic way to burn off stress!!) and yoga, I love walking in the countryside or by the sea. Another passion of mine is music and I am involved in community radio as a presenter.
My journey to becoming a counsellor was further fuelled by the various people' focused roles I have had. My experience has involved working with children in a learning support setting, with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder and ADHD. I have also worked in adult education and advice and guidance. I provided careers advice and guidance to adults, who often had long term health conditions and mental health issues, to find sustainable employment. These roles provided excellent grounding for becoming a counsellor.
Telling you a 'a little bit about me' has hopefully given you an idea of me as a person and as someone that you can feel comfortable talking to as your counsellor.
I hope you have found my profile helpful for making the decision of which counsellor is right for you.....best wishes on your counselling journey towards a happier you!
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available for counselling sessions Monday-Sunday in the morning, afternoon and evenings.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|