Dr Lauren McCoy
I am a Counselling Psychologist Doctorate specialising in integrative therapy for mind and body. I recently received a MSc in Somatics and Dance which is an understanding which complements my applied approaches in psychology. I have worked across a variety of settings ranging from community, inpatient and secondary care services. I enjoy working with children and adults, using all of my training and experience to offer individualised care.
What do I offer?
I offer talking therapy to help with diverse issues. I mainly draw on humanistic and third-wave Cognitive Behavioural Therapies to a) help someone understand the nature of the problem and b) help them develop strategies to overcome the issue they face. My style is warm, compassionate and non-judgemental. I also offer specific therapy for trauma, this is EMDR, (eye movement desensitising reprocessing), a type of therapeutic modality that can help with a wide range of symptoms, traumas and stuck past memories and feelings. At the studio, we are also offering PEMF frequency healing using a PEMF bed. This method helps alleviate stress, sleep difficulties and promote cellular healing through low electromagnetic rays. The treatment can be an excellent way to de-stress and re-centre!
The counselling takes place in an upstairs large private yoga studio. The room is great when it comes to doing mindfulness exercises, mind-body exercises and more creative tasks. There is on street parking. Apologises there is no wheelchair access. The venue also holds regular yoga/mind-body classes at £10 a class. Classes are taught by a Senior Iyengar Teacher. If you would like to try the classes, please get in touch too. They are a great way to improve your confidence, body image and ability to tolerate whatever life throws at you!
If you like the sound of me, then please get in touch via email or telephone to arrange a first meeting.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Working currently in Step 4 complex trauma (Talking Matters) and working in a children's home for looked after children (Meadows care)
- Previously worked in NHS eating disorder services
- Managed a Counselling service at a college
- Supervising other trainees on the doctorate as they develop their skills
- Working as therapist at a University
- Worked in inpatient services/community services (2013-2016)
- Creates and delivers group work
- A dedicated student of yoga (Taught weekly by an Iyenger Teacher)
- EMDR (all levels)
- MSc in Somatics and Dance for wellbeing
- Doctorate in Counselling Psychology
- 8 week Mindfulness Course (MBSR training)
- DBT skills training
- ACT (8 week course on working with adolescents)
- ACT (8 week course on working with trauma)
- ACT 3 day intensive workshop
- CBT trained
- BPS accredited Supervisors Course (ongoing)
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£65.00 per session
Free initial telephone session
Concessions offered for
- Individual sessions are £65(1 hour).
- PEMF bed treatments are £35-50 for an hour.
- Concession rates can be negotiated, so please enquire.
Available some weekday evenings on request.