Laura Turley - MBACP Integrative Therapist & Radical Honesty Trainer
- As an Integrative Therapist I work with my clients using a variety of different counselling models and methods. Although I would describe myself as a person-centred therapist, my methods are entirely client-led and not dictated by any personal preference.
- I pride myself on my honest, non-judgmental approach, my empathy and my ability to make genuine, authentic connection with my clients. I strongly believe that the success of any course of counselling lies in the quality of the therapeutic relationship. For this reason, listening to and understanding who you truly are is of paramount importance to me.
- I do not view you as someone with a problem that needs to be fixed and myself as the fixer. I do not believe anyone needs to be 'fixed'. Instead I will work with love, humour and creativity with you in your journey towards self-acceptance.
I currently offer one-on-one counselling in person from my office in central Exeter, as well as Radical Honesty (see below) coaching in person and via Skype. Please feel free to give me a call or drop me an email to ask me about any aspect of my work.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling
- Certificate in Couples Counselling
- Certified Radical Honesty® Trainer
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- £45 per hour (individuals)
- £60 per hour (couples)
- I have a limited number of concessional rate slots (£35) for low-income clients/students
About Radical Honesty®
Radical Honesty promotes direct, open communication of your authentic self, allowing you to drop the mask of who you pretend to be, and show your genuine face to the world. This can sound like a scary prospect: our imagination telling us that if we reveal our real thoughts and judgements to others, we will hurt feelings, be disliked or cause conflict. The reality is a sense of relief that we are finally seen by the people we care about, and that we can stop pretending to be someone we are not.
Often, we tell ourselves stories to avoid conversations we'd rather not have. We might convince ourselves that we know what someone else is thinking or feeling, without a single word having been exchanged, or that we can predict the outcome of a conversation so completely that it's pointless even beginning. We avoid 'confrontations' because we are unwilling to experience the physical sensations and thoughts that go with them, and tell ourselves a story that we should just 'deal with it', and get over our pain or sadness alone, without involving others.
Radical Honesty teaches the Jungian principle that 'what we resist persists', and that - if we are willing to express, physically experience and sit with our emotions - we can finally learn to 'get over sh*t and be happy'. Described by its founder as 'an out-loud meditation', the goal of Radical Honesty is to move to a place where you are willing (and able!) to express yourselves authentically in the moment, without repressing, withholding or stockpiling your emotions, and so make genuine connection with everyone you meet.
As of Winter 2018, I am running regular weekend workshops in Exeter and elsewhere in the UK teaching the principles of Radical Honesty® and training participants to communicate with honesty and authenticity. These workshops are extremely useful in teaching skills such as conflict resolution, improving self-confidence, learning how to make friends and socialise, and expressing your needs and desires clearly and with authenticity. The workshops run over a Friday evening 6-9 and then all day Saturday and Sunday 10-6, and normally consist of around 10-12 people of mixed ages and genders.
If you would like to know when the next workshop is running or want more information about what they entail, please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or come and join our Facebook Group: Radical Honesty UK
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evening appointments (after 5.00pm) sometimes available, please enquire via email for current availability.
Types of client