Kate Darbon MBACP Domestic and Sexual Abuse Specialist, Anxiety, Depression
Hello and welcome... thank you for stopping by my profile. Looking for the right counsellor can be a daunting task and the start of a journey into the unknown, for some. Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have, I will assist you in any way that I can. It really is so difficult, finding the right person to share your innermost thoughts with. I can assure you that I will not judge you at all and am passionate about helping other people to explore who they are and what their limitations are. Life isn't always easy and there are often many challenges. Sometimes, these feel totally overwhelming and we are unsure of how we can deal with this. I aim to offer peace, space and time for you to explore whatever it is that is affecting you right now.
When things feel too much, you may feel overloaded and struggle to find a clear way forward. This can be an isolating place: and this is what led me in to counselling myself. To have someone there to hear me, sit with me and validate my feelings was a real turning point in my life. This led to a real passion within me to help others. The beauty of counselling is that among all of the advice that people give us, the values we may have had placed upon us and judgement's that create conflict and uncertainty; inside us all is the power to know who we are, what we want and need and how to become the best version of ourselves. This is why I trained as a counsellor, because I want to help people like you learn about this and find your way to a happier and more fulfilled life.
I am a qualified person-centred counsellor, but have dedicated my time to train in other areas, which enables me to draw upon a variety of techniques and approaches, in order to ensure the best therapeutic outcome for you. Please see the list below of the areas in which I specialize, but please bear in mind that it is not exhaustive.
I have very recently worked for a local youth agency within Northamptonshire, for 4 years, that supports children and their families, as a counsellor for 11-18 year olds.
I have a busy private practice, counselling children aged 11+, adults and families.
I specialize in working with people affected by anxiety and distress, bullying, depression, trauma, attachment issues, domestic and sexual violence including child sexual exploitation (please see list below). I have undertaken many different forms of training related to domestic and sexual violence (including coercive control), child abuse and exploitation, neglect and narcissism. I have now almost completed a Master’s in Domestic and Sexual Violence at the University of Worcester, and also worked for a charity, counselling victims of domestic violence. I have co-facilitated group work, focusing on 'Abusive Behaviours' and exploring the possibility of change and rehabilitation in the context of domestic and sexual violence.
The areas that I cover:
* Currently Countrywide for remote working (Telephone/Online via ZOOM, Facetime and Whatsapp).
* Face to face work in Creaton, Northamptonshire, NN6. Appointment times are extremely limited.
I am a member of the BACP; a professional body for counsellors and psychotherapists. I undertake CPD (Continual Personal Development) on a regular basis and am always working towards ensuring the best service for my clients.
I am fully insured and am a member of the ICO (Information Commissioner's Office), which means that I must adhere to their regulations, ensuring the safe usage of your data.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Masters (MA) - Understanding Domestic & Sexual Violence at The University of Worcester - Current study (2019-2021)
- Online and Telephone Counselling - Accredited 80 hours CPD Qualification Certification - Counselling Tutor (2020)
- AFT Certificate of Higher Education - Working Systemically with Individuals, Couples and Families (Social Science) at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge - (2017-2018)
- CPCAB Diploma Level 4 - Therapeutic Counselling (Person-Centred) - (2015-2017)
- CPCAB Level 3 - Counselling Studies - (2012-2013)
- CPCAB Level 2 - Counselling Skills - (2011-2012)
- COE Level 3 - Play Therapy Skills - (2018)
- Level 1 & 2 - Understanding Domestic Violence at Ava Project - (2016)
Training / Certificates
· How to Tell Stories That Heal - Human Givens College - (202)
· Working Online in the Counselling Profession - BACP - (2020)
· Using Arts Online with Children & Young People – Ana De la Prida – (2020)
· Alcohol & Drug Awareness Training – Aquarius (Northamptonshire County Council) – (2019)
· Key Differences Between Counselling Adults and Children / Young People – MindEd – (2019)
· Relational Skills – MindEd – (2019)
· Legal & Professional Issues – E-Learning for Healthcare – (2019)
· Counselling in Secondary Schools – MindEd – (2019)
· What is Counselling for Children, Young People and Young Adults – MindEd – (2019)
· Working with Emotional Meanings – MindEd – (2019)
· Facilitating Emotional Expression – MindEd – (2019)
· Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (TF-CBT) for Children and Young People with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - Anna Freud Centre, London - (2019)
· Certificate of Proficiency – BACP – (2019)
· Safeguarding Training - (2017-2021)
· Working with Risk - (2018)
· Working with Dissociation Disorders in Clinical Practice – Positive Outcomes for Dissociative Survivors (PODS) – (2018)
· Treating Intrusive Thoughts and the Inner Critical Voice – MindBody Breakthrough – (2017)
· Child Sexual Abuse: Hope for Healing – PODS – (2017)
· Bridging the Gap – BACP – (2017)
· Keeping Safe – Therapy Law – (2018)
· Management of Actual and Potential Aggression (MAPA) Foundation Programme (no holding) – Care Success Solutions – (2018)
· Data Protection – Care Success Solutions – (2017)
· Sexual Trauma Training by Zoe Lodrick - Teamwork (2017)
· Trauma, Dissociation & Recovery – PODS – (2016)
· Using Solution Focused Therapy – Mike Scanlan - (2016)
· Attachment – (2016)
· Parenting – Family Caring Trust – (2016)
Ethics & Competencies:
- I am a member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy). The BACP set certain standards of codes and ethics for counsellors to adhere to.
- I have completed all required Mind-Ed Children & Young People Core Competencies. This is a Child Mental Health Framework.
- I subscribe to the ICO's (Information Commisioners Office) policies and adhere to the principle of the General Data Protection Regulations. I understand best practice for managing your information
- I am fully insured
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£50.00 per session
Free initial telephone session
PLEASE be aware, that by finding a Counsellor on this Directory, we are fully qualified and are bound by ethics and guidelines. Not all Counsellors that advertise on the internet are; if in doubt please call me and I will advise you.
Individuals (Adults & CYP): £50 for 50 minute sessions.
Please contact me for a free, no obligation telephone consultation (15/20 minutes).
I am currently working online and via the telephone, Countrywide.
I am also working face-to-face, but with reduced availability. The venue is located in the idyllic village of Creaton, NN6.
Alongside my therapeutic services, I also host workshops within Primary and Secondary Schools, to all staff and to Early Years Practitioners. These include 'Young People & Mental Health' and 'Trauma & Attachment in The Early Years.' If this is required by a service, please contact me for more information.
I have co-facilitated group work, focusing on Abusive Behaviours and the possibility of change in the context of domestic and sexual violence.