Kate Darbon, Anxiety and low mood counsellor
Thank you for stopping by. It really is so difficult, finding the right person to share your innermost thoughts with. I can assure you that I will not judge you at all and am passionate about helping other people to reach their absolute potential, individually, or as a family. Life isn't always easy and there are often many challenges. Sometimes, these feel totally overwhelming and we are unsure of how we can deal with this. I aim to offer peace, space and time for you to explore whatever it is that is affecting you right now.
I am a qualified person-centred counsellor, but have trained in other areas, which enables me to draw upon a variety of techniques and approaches, in order to ensure the best therapeutic outcome for you. Please see the list below of the areas in which I specialise, but please bear in mind that it is not exhaustive. I am lucky in that I have an amazing setting which allows me to offer therapy alongside animals in a countryside setting in Market Harborough. This is especially helpful for family work and when working with young people, or those with additional needs.
I specialise in working with those affected by trauma, especially due to domestic violence.
Counselling can be daunting and it is really important that you feel comfortable with the person that you are working with. I offer a free 20 minute telephone consultation, so that I am able to gain some insight in to what you are looking for. If we both decide to continue, I will then book you in to see me.
I have a couple of different options when exploring the best location. I can also visit your child in school, if needed. I am also able to come to your home, if needed.
The areas that I cover:
Northamptonshire - Various comfortable rooms
Market Harborough - Countryside, use of Animal Assisted Therapy if suitable.
I am a member of the BACP, which means that I adhere to their guidelines and ethics. I agree to undertake CPD (Continual Personal Development) on a regular basis. I will only act in the best interests of the client.
Training, qualifications & experience
* Masters of Science - Understanding Domestic & Sexual Violence at The University of Worcester - Current study (2019-2021)
* Working Systemically with Individuals, Couples and Families (Social Science) at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge - (2017-2018)
* Diploma Level 4 - Therapeutic Counselling (Person-Centred approach) at Tresham Institute, Kettering - (2015-2017)
* Level 2 & 3 - Counselling Skills at Tresham Institute, Kettering - (2011-2013)
* Level 1 & 2 - Understanding Domestic Violence at Ava Project - (2016)
Training / Certificates
* Trauma Focused CBT for Children and Young People with PTSD at the Anna Freud Centre, London - (2019)
* Level 3 Play Therapy Skills - (2018)
* Safeguarding Training - Yearly
* Working with Risk - (2018)
* Sexual Assault & Trauma Effect - (2017)
* Child abuse / exploitation - (2017)
* Trauma & Dissociation - (2016)
* Using Solution Focused Therapy - (2016)
* Using CBT - (2016)
* Attachment - (2017)
* Resilience in the Classroom - (2017)
Ethics & Competencies:
* I am a member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy). The BACP set certain standards of codes and ethics for counsellors to adhere to.
* I have completed all required Mind-Ed Children & Young People Core Competencies. This is a Child Mental Health Framework.
* I subscribe to the ICO's (Information Commisioners Office) policies and adhere to the principle of the General Data Protection Regulations. I understand best practice for managing your information
* I am fully insured
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Individuals (Adults & CYP): £45 for 50 minute sessions.
Counselling students: £40
Family Interventions (I am not a qualified family therapist, but am able to work with a family of 2+ people where appropriate and offer emotional support and guidance): £65 for 60 minutes sessions.
I do not charge for a telephone consultation. Assessments are charged at usual session costs.
I work for a local charity seeing children and adolescents in their school environment, mainly, as a Therapeutic Counsellor and specialise in working with young people and families. The presenting issues range from bullying, anxiety, self harm, suicidal ideation, self-esteem issues, domestic violence, abuse, and more.
I find that where a child is in emotional distress, there is often a parent who feels confused and at a loss. This is where I can help. By offering a safe environment and the tools to enable you, as a family, to communicate more effectively, I work with using a 'whole family' approach.
I will also work 1:1 with any child aged 11+ and adults. With my foundation as a person-centred counsellor, I will also draw upon other modalities to enable you to find a way forward; challenging 'stuck' thought processes, exploring what causes your emotional distress; for example.
I host workshops within Primary and Secondary Schools, to all staff and to Early Years Practitioners. These include 'An Introduction to Mental Health' and 'Trauma & Attachment in The Early Years.' If this is required by a service, please contact me for more information.
I co-facilitate group work, focusing on Abusive Behaviours. I also work for a separate charity, counselling victims of domestic violence. I specialise in this area, having undertaken many different forms of training related to abuse, neglect, narcissistic behaviours, domestic and sexual violence and trauma.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I have offices in East Farndon, Kingsthorpe and Brixworth.
Weekdays and weekends by specific appointment.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|