Qualified Online Therapist Available Throughout The UK
I help people whose lives have been affected by trauma, regardless of how long ago it happened. By working together, we look to understand the impact of the trauma and amount of control it has had on your emotions, thoughts and actions.
By working through your trauma you learn to cope and it has less control over you. Anxiety, emotional pain, triggers, nighmares or flashbacks start to reduce.
I work with trauma that occured recently or decades ago.
You can move on from trauma and you deserve to. Therapy can help you to work through what you need to, to be able to move on and build the life you want. You just need to be ready to do the work.
Loss and Bereavement Counselling
I help people that have been affected by loss understand and process their loss. Counselling can help people lessen their pain and work towards accepting their new reality. By understanding what you have lost, you may be able to start accepting this and come to terms with it.
Any kind of loss is life altering and unfortunately inevitable at some stage in our lives.
How we deal with loss and grief is personal to each of us. We all respond differently. We can flit through various emotions very quickly which can be exhausting and upsetting.
Unprocessed trauma and grief
If we don't process our traumas, losses or grief it remains within us until we do. Ignoring it does not make it go away.
Unprocessed trauma, loss and grief can fester within us and will eventually come out in other ways; physically, emotionally and psychologically.
We feel threatened or unsafe emotionally so may get ready to defend ourselves. This may cause us to physically start sweating, heart pounding and becoming jumpy. This could be linked back to the psychological trauma of PTSD after being attacked or abused.
You are in control of what you work on and I will never make you work on anything you are not ready to. I believe this is the best way to meet your needs.
Counselling can help you get a better understanding of your situation empowering you to move forward.
What happens next?
You can call or text me on 07488 312784 or email me at email@example.com and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
In my different roles, I have worked with clients long term on a weekly basis for as long as they needed counselling and also in a time-limited way where we have a set number of sessions on a weekly basis.
Whatever your needs, we can work together for as long as you feel necessary. I do not set a time limit or a maximum number of sessions.
I can offer sessions face to face, online (like Skype) or by telephone, whatever you prefer, even a mix of the different methods depending on your schedule.
I have a wide and varied availability Monday through to Thursday with appointments ranging from morning to evening.
I am a 5-minute walk from the town centre, a 10-minute walk from the train station and if coming by car free parking is available on site.
On entry, there are 2 steps at the front door and my office is based up 1 flight of stairs. If this is a problem for you please let me know and we can arrange an alternative setting.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Jan 2019 - Dec 2020 - CrossReach. Post Qualifying Certificate in Counselling Children & Young People.
- Aug 2010 – May 2011 - Motherwell College. HNC in Counselling.
- Oct 2012 – May 2014 - Strathclyde University. Post Graduate Diploma in Person-Centered Counselling.
I have worked in a variety of settings outwith my private practice. My most recent role was working for a charity that specialised in working with survivors of abuse which ranged from physical, sexual, domestic, mental and neglect from the past or present. I also worked with family members of survivors of abuse.
I was in this role from Jan 2015-March 2019. I was based in various prisons working with males, females, and female young offenders.
In the years prior to this I have worked for other charities specialising in areas but not limited to
- Mild to moderate mental health issues such as anxiety, stress, loss & bereavement, relationship breakdowns including separation, betrayal, affairs and divorce, anger management, PTSD, gender dysphoria and sexuality.
- Moderate to severe mental health issues including psychosis, dissociation, self harm and hearing voices.
- Various other charities which specialise in working with survivors of sexual abuse and violence.
This experience was gained in various settings
- July 2017-Present, Wishaw Counselling Service, Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- Jan 2015-Mar 2019, Open Secret, Prison Development Worker/Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- Oct 2012-May 2015, Time and Space, Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- July 2013-Mar 2015, SAMH, Time Limited Counsellor/Solution Focused
- Aug 2010-Oct 2013, Lanarkshire Rape Crisis Centre, Support worker, Counsellor on leaving
- Nov 2013-Oct 2013, First Step Counselling Service, Counsellor
- Aug 2010-May 2011, The Wynd, Counsellor
I also worked as a Support Worker within a relief youth care setting and another charity that supports visually impaired Clients.
Professional & Personal Development Programmes
- June 2020 Counselling Tutor – Online and Telephone Counselling, 80 hours.
- June 2020 Online Events – A 2 Day Introduction to Working Online with Couples, 2 days/12 hours online course.
- April 2020 The Foundation for Infant Loss – The Foundation for Infant Loss Training Course, 2 days, online workshop.
- April 2020 PESI - Telehealth for Mental Health Professionals: 2-Day Distance Therapy Training (Digital Seminar).
- April 2020 Online Therapy Institute – Moving Your Practice Online, 2 days online course.
- March 2020 ACT Counselling Services – Group Therapy, 1 day workshop
- January 2020 Carolyn Spring - Dealing with Distress: Working with Suicide and Self-Harm, online, 6 hours.
- October 2019 North Lanarkshire Council – Impact of Substance use on Children & Young People, 0.5 day.
- October 2019 North Lanarkshire Council – Impact of Paternal Substance Misuse During Pregnancy, 0.5 day.
- October 2019 North Lanarkshire Council – Child Sexual Exploitation, 1 day.
- October 2019 North Lanarkshire Child Protection Commitee - Getting It Right In Child Protection, 3 days.
- September 2019 North Lanarkshire Child Protection Committee (CPC) - The Impact of Paternal Illness on CYP, 1 day.
- August 2019 North Lanarkshire Council - FGM, Forced Marriage & Honour Based Violence, 0.5 day.
- April 2018 BACP, Julia Samuel – Grief works: Stories of life, death and surviving.
- April 2018 Greenwood Events, Counselling Couples and Families: A Person-Centred Approach with Charles O’Leary 2 day workshop.
- April 2018 BACP, Working with critical incidents. Prepared not scared; are you ready to respond? 1 day workshop.
- November 2017 - Open Secret, Wellbeing Matters. A Conference Exploring Adverse Life Experiences and the Impact on Wellbeing, 1 day conference.
- June 2017 - Scottish Trans Alliance. Clinical Forum, Sex Offender Practitioner, 1 day course.
- August 2016 - Compassion Focused Therapy, 1 day course.
- January 2016 - Child Protection Training, 1 day course.
- November 2015 - Crisis and Aggression Limitation and Management, 4 day course.
- June 2015 - Bluebell PND Service. Understanding Ante/Postnatal Depression/Anxiety, 1 day course.
- March 2015 - Strathclyde University. Non-Directive Play Therapy in Action, 2 day course.
- February 2015 - Ron Coleman, & David Campbell. Reclaiming our lives: Working with Males who have experienced sexual abuse, 1 day course.
- September 2014 - David Murphy. Trauma and the Therapeutic Relationship, 1 day course.
- Jan 2012 - Motherwell College. National Unit in Clinical Psychology, 3 month course.
- Sept 2010 - Motherwell College. Scottish Mental Health First Aid, 1 month course.
- Jan 2010 - Motherwell College Introduction to Counselling, 3 month course.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am trained to respond to criticial incidents in the immediate aftermath of the crisis or while it is ongoing.
I work with local businesses to provide counselling to their staff.
I can work with people on a short term basis where the sessions may be limited to a specific amount.
I can also work with people in an open ended manner whereby we work until the client feels ready to finish therapy.
Reintegration after imprisonment
Please see my website www.wishawcounsellingservice.co.uk for more information or get in touch with me.
From £45.00 to £65.00
Individuals - £45 and couples - £65 per 50 minute session.
Please check spam/junk if you haven't received a reply, I aim to reply in 24 hours.
Reintegration to the outside world
I worked in a prison setting for 4 years so I understand how difficult it can be for people prior to release. I supported my clients through their fears and concerns regarding fitting back into society, fears of relapsing or reoffending, readjusting to their world and relationships that may have changed dramatically and having to make choices and being held accountable again.
If you have any further questions please see my website for further details or get in touch with me.