Julie Murphy - Person-Centred Counsellor, Registered MBACP, MCOSCA
I am a counsellor who works in a person-centred way and I aim to understand your world from your viewpoint rather than my interpretation of it which allows me to work with you in the best possible way.
I provide you with a safe, confidential, non-judgemental space to work on what you want when you feel ready. You are in control of what you work on and I will never make you work on anything you are not ready to. I believe this is the best way to meet your needs.
Counselling can help you get a better understanding of your situation enabling you to move forward.
What happens next?
You can call or text me on 07488 312784 or click here to send me an email and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
We will have a quick chat to find out what you are looking for. We then book an introductory appointment to cover how I work in more detail, and also for to me to get a better understanding of what you want from counselling. For this initial session, I only charge £20.
Some information on the sessions
In my different roles, I have worked with clients long term on a weekly basis for as long as they needed counselling and also in a time-limited way where we have a set number of sessions on a weekly basis.
Whatever your needs, we can work together for as long as you feel necessary. I do not set a time limit or a maximum number of sessions.
I have a varied availability across Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays with appointments ranging from early morning to evenings.
I am a 5-minute walk from the town centre, a 10-minute walk from the train station and if coming by car free parking is available on site.
On entry, there are 2 steps at the front door and my office is based up 1 flight of stairs. If this is a problem for you please let me know and we can arrange an alternative setting.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Jan 2019 - Dec 2020 - CrossReach. Post Qualifying Certificate in Counselling Children & Young People.
- Aug 2010 – May 2011 - Motherwell College. HNC in Counselling.
- Oct 2012 – May 2014 - Strathclyde University. Post Graduate Diploma in Person-Centered Counselling.
I have worked in a variety of settings outwith my private practice. My most recent role was working for a charity that specialised in working with survivors of abuse which ranged from physical, sexual, domestic, mental and neglect from the past or present. I also worked with family members of survivors of abuse.
I was in this role from Jan 2015-March 2019. I was based in various prisons working with males, females, and female young offenders.
In the years prior to this I have worked for other charities specialising in areas but not limited to
- Mild to moderate mental health issues such as anxiety, stress, loss & bereavement, relationship breakdowns including separation, betrayal, affairs and divorce, anger management, PTSD, gender dysphoria and sexuality.
- Moderate to severe mental health issues including psychosis, dissociation, self harm, and hearing voices.
- Various other charities which specialise in working with survivors of sexual abuse and violence.
This experience was gained in various settings
- July 2017-Present, Wishaw Counselling Service, Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- Jan 2015-Mar 2019, Open Secret, Prison Development Worker/Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- Oct 2012-May 2015, Time and Space, Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- July 2013-Mar 2015, SAMH, Time Limited Counsellor/Solution Focused
- Aug 2010-Oct 2013, Lanarkshire Rape Crisis Centre, Support worker, Counsellor on leaving
- Nov 2013-Oct 2013, First Step Counselling Service, Counsellor
- Aug 2010-May 2011, The Wynd, Counsellor
I also worked as a Support Worker within a relief youth care setting and another charity that supports visually impaired Clients.
Professional & Personal Development Programmes
- April 2018 BACP, Julia Samuel – Grief works: Stories of life, death and surviving.
- April 2018 Greenwood Events, Counselling Couples and Families: A Person-Centred Approach with Charles O’Leary 2 day workshop.
- April 2018 BACP, Working with critical incidents. Prepared not scared; are you ready to respond? 1 day workshop.
- November 2017 - Open Secret, Wellbeing Matters. A Conference Exploring Adverse Life Experiences and the Impact on Wellbeing, 1 day conference.
- June 2017 - Scottish Trans Alliance. Clinical Forum, Sex Offender Practitioner, 1 day course.
- August 2016 - Compassion Focused Therapy, 1 day course.
- January 2016 - Child Protection Training, 1 day course.
- November 2015 - Crisis and Aggression Limitation and Management, 4 day course.
- June 2015 - Bluebell PND Service. Understanding Ante/Postnatal Depression/Anxiety, 1 day course.
- March 2015 - Strathclyde University. Non-Directive Play Therapy in Action, 2 day course.
- February 2015 - Ron Coleman, & David Campbell. Reclaiming our lives: Working with Males who have experienced sexual abuse, 1 day course.
- September 2014 - David Murphy. Trauma and the Therapeutic Relationship, 1 day course.
- Jan 2012 - Motherwell College. National Unit in Clinical Psychology, 3 month course.
- Sept 2010 - Motherwell College. Scottish Mental Health First Aid, 1 month course.
- Jan 2010 - Motherwell College Introduction to Counselling, 3 month course.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Reintegration after imprisonment
Photos & videos
First session is half price for 50 minutes then each session after this is full price for a 50 minute session.
For individuals I charge £40 and couple and families are charged at £60 per session.
Survivors of abuse
Ranging from physical, sexual, domestic, mental and neglect. I also work with family members of survivors of abuse.
Clients who come to get help to work through various and multiple traumas and losses
Counselling can be their first step to dealing with their problems and traumas in a safe environment at their own pace.
Mild to moderate mental health issues
Such as anxiety, stress, loss and bereavement, relationship breakdowns including separation, betrayal, affairs & divorce, anger management, PTSD, gender dysphoria and sexuality.
Moderate to severe mental health issues
Including psychosis, dissociation, self-harm, and hearing voices.
Reintegration to the outside world
I worked in a prison setting for 4 years so I understand how difficult it can be for people prior to release. I supported my clients through their fears and concerns regarding fitting back into society, fears of relapsing or reoffending, readjusting to their world and relationships that may have changed dramatically and having to make choices and being held accountable again.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
My office is based up a flight of stairs but if you need wheelchair accessible premises please let me know as this can be arranged elsewhere.
Monday 08.00-16.00. Tuesday 08.00-20.00. Wednesday 08.00-20.00. Thursday 08.00-20.00. Friday 08.00-16.00. Please check spam/junk if you haven't got a reply, I aim to reply in 24 hours.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|