Jill Abernethy - BSc. Hons Psychology, Dip. Counselling - MBACP
Having made the decision to look for a counsellor one of the hardest parts can be who to choose. Having someone who can offer you a calm and safe space to explore any emotional distress you may be feeling within a confidential, non-judgemental and empathic environment is central to a productive therapeutic relationship. This is what we will build together, at your pace.
Within my private practise, I work empathically, honestly and with no judgement with a wide range of emotional challenges that people face in life from welcoming counselling rooms in Lymm offering you a safe, comfortable and private environment.
On a voluntary basis, i work with Macmillan within the NHS specialising in bereavement, grief and living with life limiting illness.
- I have a detailed understanding and experience of the challenges people face with Autism - both with those on the spectrum and those who may be in a caring role and how Autism May impact on the wider family / friends.
- i have experience with working with people who are experiencing friendship / relationship issues / stress and anxiety / depression / autistic and neurotypical individuals who prefer a tailored communication approach / family issues / undergoing treatment for cancer / life after cancer treatment / bereavement / adjusting to life following a traumatic incident / student counsellors and those undergoing a life change. There is a more detailed list within my profile should you wish to take a look.
- Prior to my counselling career i worked within HR as a CIPD HR professional / Trainer.
I recognise that starting counselling may be a daunting prospect, so please do feel free to contact me in what ever way is comfortable for you should you like to know a little more about what to expect or to ask any questions about how counselling might help you.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a Member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapy (BACP) and operate within their ethical framework. I am committed to continual professional development.
My qualifications include:
-Diploma in Counselling
- Bsc Hons. Psychology
- BPS (CPD) Working with adults with Autism
- Trauma - Dissociation and DID (PODS CPD Certificate)
I have worked within the NHS as a bereavement counsellor on a voluntary basis for the past 2 years.
I have knowledge and experience of working with people on the Autistic Spectrum.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Parents and Carers of Children on the Autistic Spectrum
Living with a life limiting illness
I offer a reduced price for an initial meeting, as it is important that you find the right counsellor for you: £25 face to face or via video call Zoom.
£45 per session face to face
£40 online via video call Zoom.
Students: £35 per session face to face