Emma Tait MSc. Counselling and Psychotherapy MBACP
I am a qualified counsellor and psychotherapist offering a private and confidential counselling service for Redditch and surrounding areas. I am fully insured and hold an enhanced DBS. I am a registered member of the BACP and work with individuals, couples and families for both short term and long term counselling.
My approach is integrative which means I have received formal training different counselling modalities (Humanistic, Psychodynamic, and Cognitive and Behavioural therapies) to combine them effectively and ethically to suit individual people, groups and circumstances. I have also undertaken additional training in Systemic approaches which informs my work with couples, parent and child dynamics and families interactions. Please visit the Association of Family Therapy for more information.
I believe people are unique and treat them as such. I will listen attentively and be non-judgmental in the counselling relationship. I am committed to personal and professional development which enables me to work ethically in accordance with the BACP and the AFT. I am also listed on the BACP register which is accredited by the Professional Standards Authority of Health and Social Care.
Training, qualifications & experience
- PG Dip in Systemic Practice with individuals, couples, families and organisations - Level 7
- MSc in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP Accred.) Level 7 - Distinction
- (Area of research - The experience of long term partners of Military Veterans who have been affected by mental health issues as result of active service)
- Diploma in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy Level 7
- Adv. Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Adv. Cert in Counselling
- Certificate in counselling
- To maintain ethical practice I continue professional development regularly, attending short courses and workshops, these have included but are not limited to:
- Childhood sexual abuse, Attachment theory
- Specialist domestic abuse training
- Creative counselling
- Mental Health issues in CounsellingLaw and ethics when working with children and young people
- Law and ethics when working with children and young people
- Child to Parent violence
- Rewind technique for PTSD
- Trauma informed approaches
- CBT Master-classes - 'Core beliefs' - 'Anxiety and Trauma'
BACP- British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists
AFT- Association of Family therapists
I have previously worked in the NHS Secondary Mental Health Service, where I gained my initial qualification to practice. I have also worked as a counselling coordinator for family centres in Redditch and Bromsgrove.
I have worked as a counsellor within domestic violence agencies and with adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
Alongside my private work, I am currently the Mental Health Lead for a counselling service for parents of young children and families. I oversee the counselling service across different sites. This work involves mentoring and supporting student counsellors along with psychological assessments. I am clinically responsible for this service.
In addition, I also work part time within the NHS as a staff counsellor and for a major sporting organisation to assist sportsmen and women where emotional stress impacts performance.
My professional interests are in the area of anxiety and stress and its effects, both psychologically and physically. If you are affected by anxiety, stress or panic I will work with you to help understand it's origins and make sense of it. We can then work together to achieve a better state of well being and a reduction of symptoms.
I am also interested in alternatives to labelling and the diagnostic, medical view of mental health.
If you're feeling overwhelmed or are living with low mood/depression, anxiety or having problems in relationships or experiencing difficulties generally and would like to explore how counselling may help, please email me to arrange an appointment. This is completely without obligation.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
My areas of interest include medically unexplained physical issues and the impact of psychological stress, anxiety and trauma on the body.
I also have a keen interest in the role of social, environmental and developmental factors when understanding a person's mental health, along with the family influences which may be helpful or unhelpful to a person's recovery.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
I charge £50.00 for an initial assessment.
Appointments thereafter are £50.00 per counselling hour.
Couples £65 per session. Families £75 per session.
Morning, daytime and evening appointments available.
I endeavour to return calls/emails the same day.
Weekend calls/emails will be returned the next working day.
There is Wheelchair access available for counselling in Redditch.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client