Dr Christina Johnson.Counselling Psychologist. CBT; EMDR; Couples Therapy
1069 Argyle Street
Hi there, thank you for viewing my profile. I am a Chartered and HCPC registered Counselling Psychologist and Specialist Couples Therapist with six years experience working as a therapist with individuals, couples and groups. I also have trained in Essential Supervisory Skills and am welcoming of colleagues and students seeking clinical supervision.
What to expect
As a Counselling Psychologist I am able to call upon a number of therapeutic models to tailor treatment to meet the individual needs of my clients, with the overall aim of achieving specific goals. I am a great believer that therapy is not a one size fits all method of treatment for psychological and emotional difficulties. I work strongly guided by this principle and aim to create a safe and non-judgemental environment where clients feel encouraged to take an active and collaborative role in their treatment.
After you make contact with me we can arrange our first session. This session aims to provide you the opportunity to begin exploring the difficulties that have prompted you to seek therapeutic support. In doing so I will assess what approach may best suit your needs and goals and work alongside you to find the best way forward.
I work in a private therapeutic room within the West End of Glasgow, with good transport links and nearby parking.
A bit about me
I have worked in a number of settings including NHS Community Mental Health, Drugs and Alcohol services, Voluntary Sector and most recently within Health Psychology . In this setting I have gained much experience providing therapeutic support and intervention for a range of difficulties both related and not related to physical health issues. Below details some of the difficulties I have worked with but others include attachment issues, relationship issues, adjustment difficulties, existential issues, cancer treatment related cognitive deficits, palliative care, death and dying. Please enquire about any difficulties not listed.
I am passionate about working both with individuals and couples, and have a number of years experience delivering stress and anxiety management groups. I welcome enquiries about delivering stress and anxiety management courses within organisations. I welcome clients from all backgrounds, varying in ages from children to older adulthood.
I am a registered Affiliate Psychologist with AXA PPP Healthcare and other insurance companies. I can provide assessment reports if required-costs are negotiated with the healthcare company.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am a Chartered Counselling Psychologist, trained in Person-Centred/Experiential Therapy, Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR- Level 3), which is a specific treatment approach for trauma and a number of other difficulties. I am also trained in a specialist approach to Couples Therapy called the Bader-Pearson Developmental Model of Couples Therapy, which aims to identify which developmental stage a couple has become stuck in, and provide the guidance and skills needed to begin moving forward again. I have a particular enthusiasm for working with couples and very much enjoy the process of arming couples with the tools they need to improve their relationship. In my practice I also call upon elements of Schema Therapy and Mindfulness, in order to tailor treatment towards the individual/couple.
I have completed BPS recognised training in supervision, and am welcoming of both Psychologists in training and accredited Psychologists looking for supervision. A reduced fee is available for students.
Please see my website for further information on therapeutic services.
Doctorate in Counselling Psychology
BSc Honours Degree in Applied Psychology
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Levels 1, 2 & 3.
HCPC Practitioner Psychologist
BPS Chartered Counselling Psychologist
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
£75 per hour for individuals
£130 per initial session for couples, lasting between 90-120 minutes long. Length of sessions thereafter is negotiable, with a minimum of 60 minute sessions charged at £100.
Concessions are available for self-funding students seeking personal therapy
£75 per hour for qualified therapists
£50 per hour for colleagues in training
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Supervision is a valuable resource for any therapist and I am enthusiastic about offering an engaged, reflective space for colleagues to explore their practice.