Dr. Chris James - Chartered Clinical Psychologist, DClinPsych CPsychol
**Please note: I am currently running a virtual clinic and offer individual online appointments via video call (e.g. Skype, FaceTime) or phone.
I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist providing evidence-based psychological treatment for a range of difficulties including anxiety, trauma and PTSD, depression, OCD, insomnia, health anxiety, phobia, self-esteem issues, work-related stress and relationship difficulties.
I have full BABCP accreditation in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and am a BABCP accredited supervisor of CBT (training and supporting other therapists in delivering CBT).
I am also fully trained in EMDR. My specialisms include CBT for Insomnia (CBT-I), trauma/PTSD and anxiety disorders. I am a trained expert witness and provide medicolegal assessments and reports.
My approach and therapeutic values:
I believe that high quality, effective and meaningful psychological therapy is about understanding the needs of the client whilst choosing the right type of psychological treatment based on current research. For me, the therapeutic relationship is the foundation on which therapy is built and I place much value in gaining honest feedback from my clients at each session to help tailor and adapt the therapy to their needs. I use brief outcome measures to help track progress and as an additional way of gaining regular feedback to check that the therapy is on track.
Please visit my website for more information - www.drchrisjames.com
Training, qualifications & experience
Primary professional qualifications:
- DClinPsych - Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (Oxford University)
- MSc Clinical Psychology
- BSc (1st Hons) Psychology
Other qualifications and training:
- PGCert (Distinction) in CBT Supervision - King's College London
- International Sleep Medicine Training Course - European Sleep Research Society
- BPS Full Supervision Training Programme - BPS, London
- Newcastle Model of Supervision - BABCP, Cardiff
- BPS Expert Witness Training Full Programme - BPS, London
- EMDR full qualification - EMDR Extra/EMDR Association UK & Ireland
- Mentalization-Based Treatment (MBT) - Practitioner - Anna Freud Centre/UCL
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) - Level 3 Accreditation - APT
Specialist Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-i) - Numerous training programmes completed, including:
- Bespoke 1:1 CBT-i training from Dr. Leanne Fleming, University of Strathclyde
- CBT-i - Prof. Jason Ellis (Northumbria University)
- Bespoke 1:1 CBT-i consultation from Prof. Donn Posner (UPenn, USA)
Current employment details:
Independent practice (2014 - Present) - Expert assessment, therapy, consultation, supervision and training. Medicolegal assessment and reporting.
NHS (2006 - 2020) - I most recently worked as the Principal Clinical Psychologist within a specialist sleep service at Nevill Hall Hospital in Abergavenny. Prior to this I worked in Secondary Care Mental Health Services with both adults and adolescents.
I am a qualified and accredited clinical supervisor (BPS & BABCP) and have much experience of supervising a range of professionals and trainee therapists.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists.
BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Treatment for insomnia: I am fully trained in CBTi - the 'gold standard' treatment for insomnia as per NICE and WHO clinical guidelines
Support for other sleep disorders including:
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep-Wake disorders
- Parasomnias e.g. night terrors, sleep walking, sleep-related eating disorder
- Paradoxical insomnia
- Shift/working pattern related sleep problems
- Narcolepsy – CBT-N programme – help for living with Narcolepsy and other hypersomnias
- CPAP adherence issues
Initial consultation - £135 - 180
Therapy session - £90
Supervision, consultation and training:
Please enquire for prices
Concessions offered for
Please get in touch via email or call 07899 233558 for an informal chat to discuss your needs and to arrange an initial consultation.