Alison Fox Counselling Services MBACP ( Accred )
I have been a practicing counsellor/psychotherapist for more than twenty years, I am also qualified as a clinical supervisor, I offer individual or group supervision. Alongside my counsellling and supervision practice I offer spiritual accompaniment, mentoring, life coaching, mediation, creative Mindfulness and mental health workshops.
I offer face to face appointments in Preston, Weymouth in Dorset along with working with clients worldwide via webcam, email and telephone some examples of organisations who I have worked with are Diocese of Salisbury, Weldmar Hospice, States of Jersey Occupational Health, EAP's, Solicitors, local businesses and charities. I am happy to take referrals directly from clients.
I work using an integrative approach using a variety of approaches, offered in a safe, confidential and non-judgemental environment.
I am fully insured & an accredited member of British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy which means I have achieved a nationally recognised standard of qualifications and experience. You can verify this through the BACP Register my registration number is 146283 & BACP Membership 554716.
I hold a current Enhanced DBS check.
My passion is to share my knowledge and help people to recover from anxiety, bullying, depression, stress, worry and relationship issues along with many other problems and support them to bring positive change in their lives.
The benefits of therapy can include better sleep, increased performance and improved relationships at work and at home.
I offer an initial free 20 minute telephone assessment session to establish whether you feel that my way of working is the right one for you. Sessions can be arranged face to face, via webcam, telephone and email.
Frequently asked questions
Where do sessions take place?
Face to face appointments are available at my purpose built premises in Preston, Weymouth, with toilet facilities and plenty of parking.Webcam, telephone and email appointments are available worldwide. I also offer walk and talk therapy - outdoor therapy, which can be interspersed with sessions, if required and when the weather allows in a dedicated outdoor terrace area, which allows privacy and the benefits of taking in our natural beauty.
How many sessions?
This can vary, it is helpful to discuss in your first counselling session, my experience and research have found that generally, 6 sessions is the minimum needed for effective change to take place. The average is 6-12 sessions, I always negotiate with clients about the number and duration of sessions and am able to work long term if needed
I don't know if I could talk to you?
You might find it helpful and more reassuring to call me and voice your concerns, also the first session should help you decide whether you are going to feel enabled to speak openly with me.
How do I know counselling works?
We will complete regular reviews of our work together , you will be the best judge of whether the process is achieving the results that you hope for.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have successfully worked with many different types of issues which may affect mental health including addictions, anxiety, bereavement, bullying/harassment, co-dependency, chronic health conditions, depression, domestic abuse, empty nest, family issues, HIV/AIDS, lack of self esteem, loss, marriage and relationship issues, panic attacks, stress management, sexual health and many more.
I was nominated for a Jersey Community champion award in 2015 for my work supporting adults that had experienced Workplace and/or Community Bullying.
I work with other counsellors and those in the caring professions offering one to one clinical supervision for members of the helping professions which has included working with Joseph Weld Hospice Dorchester and Residential and Care Homes in both Weymouth and Jersey.
- MBACP 554716 Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist
- Advanced Diploma Clinical Supervisor NCS
- Advanced Diploma Gestalt Therapy
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Certificate in Counselling Theory & Skills
- Certificate in working with Addictions
- Certificate in mentoring
- Certificate in train the trainer
- Safeguarding children, young people and adults
- Developing Effective Anti Bullying Practice in Schools training for children
- Working with bereaved young people
- Working with Young People & Adolescents
- Working with addictions
- Recovery from anxiety & depression
- Working with couples
- Working with Dissociation Identity Disorder
- Mindfulness based stress management.
- Working with self harm and suicidal thoughts
- Working with boarding school survivor syndrome
- Clinical Supervision in a Hospice or Care home setting
- Supporting adults and organisations in ministry
I am the founder of Dorset Anti-bullying service a not for profit project which provides support, counselling and training for people and organisations affected by bullying. Research shows 1 in 2 adults will experience bullying within their life time.
Tranquillity - Therapy Retreats
We are based in Weymouth , Dorset and are able to arrange bespoke therapy retreat sessions whereby clients can either stay on site or in other accommodation in the area. If required we are able to plan an itinerary of leisure activities such as art and craft classes, beauty and spa services, jewellery making, golf, horse riding, theatre and walking or simply allowing space to relax and be still.
There is also an option to book time alongside this for individual counselling, mentoring or meditation appointments.
The tranquility of the stunning Jurassic coast and surrounding areas is well known for its ability to refresh and inspire.
Please email email@example.com or Tel: 07714762012 for further details and pricing.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Chronic pain management, memory loss, terminal illness and pre-bereavement/loss
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Family/systemic therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Group therapy
- Humanistic therapies
- Other therapies
- Person-centred therapy
Photos & videos
Counselling/Psychotherapy mentoring, mediation and spiritual accompaniment fees and concessions
£50 per hour for individuals.
£60 per hour for couples or groups up to 3 people eg families, friends, community or work groups or £80 for 1.5 hours. For larger groups please make contact for pricing.
I operate a sliding scale and offer discounted rates for students , unemployed, those on a low income and/or trainee counsellors working towards accreditation with a recognized counselling governing body. Please feel free to ask.
I offer an initial 20 minute telephone assessment session free of charge to help you decide if counselling is appropriate for you.
Please note that my fees for overseas clients are higher to allow for the practical challenges of less reliable internet connections and the extra time I therefore make available for this.
After this session, there is no obligation for you to take up counselling with me.
Supervision Fees are fully negotiable. Please feel free to contact for further information
Payments can be made by bank transfer or cash.
What is Counselling?
Counselling is a talking therapy that takes place in a safe, confidential setting between a professionally qualified counsellor and a client. Clients meet with the same counsellor and sessions usually take place on the same day and at the same time each week.
Counselling is sharing your difficulties and feelings, in order to help you to find understanding of what has been happening and to enable change to take place.
Counselling is not advisory – you are a unique individual and therefore the only person in your life who can know what choices and decisions might be right for you – is you!
Clients often talk about how sessions help them to explore thoughts and feelings in a way that they are unable to with somebody close to them. Increasingly in our fast paced and technological world; clients say they feel that there is nobody available to talk to face to face and this can lead to a sense of isolation.
These are anonymised to protect client confidentiality:
- Counselling helped me go through a difficult time in my life. At the time, I was experiencing difficulties with relationships at work. Alison listened to me without judging and taught me tools to deal with the issues myself. As part of the counselling process, I learnt to deal with my insecurities and self-doubt and I learnt to be more assertive. Thanks to counselling I have dealt with the issues at work and I have even improved my relationships in all areas of my life. I would highly recommend Alison Fox she has helped me become a better person
- I have found investing in myself and a therapeutic relationship with Alison to be nourishing and enriching.
- Counselling has helped me in ways I couldn’t imagine. I think everyone should have the opportunity to have counselling.
- I felt very isolated, anxious and depressed following bereavement. Counselling was a very valuable experience which supported me to get through my situation.
- I engaged in counselling with Alison when I was very low and most needed it- I am now living a full, active and happy life- Thank you
- Alison has been a significant figure in my life and she came along at exactly the right time. I was willing to be honest and look at myself and she has been a non-judgemental and balanced person to do that with. Whilst she has never told me what to do, I welcomed and appreciated some honest feedback from her that has helped me to find my own answers. She has been consistent and supportive through a real period of transition in my life.
- I have discovered what living is all about. I came to counselling because I was experiencing difficulties in my personal relationships. I was ready to really look at the underlying issues. I’m now in a healthy, wonderful relationship; I’m successful at work and feel truly happy with my relationship with myself too!
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
No wheelchair access, two steps but accessible with a mobility aid.
I work Monday to Thursday between 9am and 6pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I offer individual and group clinical supervision to counsellors/psychotherapists both trained and students currently in training.