Hove Therapy Rooms
69 Church Road
Brighton Therapy Practice
9A Princes Street
Hi, my name is Alex Macfarlane, I am a Person-Centred & Humanistic Counsellor. I provide a therapeutic counselling service for Brighton, Hove and East Sussex.
Some of the areas I specialise in include: LGBTQI and/or sexuality & gender issues, substance use, addiction, trauma, relationships, loss & bereavement, depression, anxiety, and general mental health/well-being.
In counselling the relationship you have with your therapist is what builds and allows you to thrive in whatever aspect/s of your life you might be struggling/distressed with. Because of this it is always a good idea to meet a prospective counsellor for an initial consultation. Here you can ask questions, gather information and get a sense of the person of the counsellor, so you can decide if you can work with them in a counselling relationship.
My therapy service is Person-Centred, which means just that, it is centred on your individual/unique person. I do not work with a pre-made structure of therapy, but instead get to know you, your wants/needs etc and work in a way to support your choices and self.
Some people want to just be genuinely listened to, where you are not judged but accepted with empathy (for some people this might be the first time of being really listened to), at other times some people may want to be challenged with warmth/empathy in their thinking. At other times some people may want to explore at depth, their process around various issues/problems/relationships, with guidance and reassurance. Or all of the above; counselling tends to be a fluid, growing process, so my job is to be sensitive to these needs and work in a way that suits the person, in the moment.
Best wishes in finding a counsellor :)
Training, qualifications & experience
- Bsc (Hons) Degree in Person-Centred Counselling - 3yrs
- Level 1, 2 & 3 in Counselling Skills & Theory - 1.5yrs approx
- Anorexia Nervosa - a Person-Centred Perspective training workshop
- Working with trauma in Counselling - a training workshop exploring theory/approach and skills around Trauma work
- Alcohol & Substance Awareness Course - 7 days - specialist training to work therapeutically with these issues.
- Voluntary counselling with LGBT Switchboard (Brighton) - here I worked with a team of counsellors/therapists, as part of the counselling service for this charity/council funded organisation. This was a low-cost counselling service specifically for LGBTQI clients. This gave me first hand experience in working with sexuality & gender issues among a wide age range and background of people. As well as many other issues; as the service was for LGBTQI people generally, so the issues worked with were wide ranging.
- Voluntary counselling with SCDA (Newhaven) - SCDA is a charity/council funded organisation, offering low-cost general counselling to the local Sussex communities. As this was a general counselling service I worked with a wide range of ages, genders and different backgrounds. This also meant that I worked with a wide range of different issues.
- Voluntary counselling with CGL (formerly CRI) - CGL counselling service are based all over Sussex and provide counselling for people dealing with alcohol and substance use. This was a specialist counselling service, where I worked with people who had alcohol or substance dependance issues, or withdrawal/management of substance use about to begin rehab/detox or after leaving. This involved working with wide age ranges and different backgrounds, as well as further issues involving relationships, emotional abuse, trauma, OCD, Borderline Personality issues, loneliness, depression and many more.
It is worth mentioning that before becoming a counsellor, I worked for many years as a support/care/health worker. This means that I have first-hand experience of learning disabilities, ageing, epilepsy, autism, mental health, physical disabilities, sensory disabilities, communication difficulties and life-limiting conditions, as well as the impact of this for family, friends & carers.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
Photos & videos
£25 for 50mins
This is for us to meet, get to know each other, ask any questions, discuss what brings you to counselling, and to give you an opportunity to get a sense of me and whether you feel we could work in counselling together.
£40 for 50mins.
Home Visit Individual Counselling
£50 for 50mins
For people who are unable to travel for whatever reason, but still need/want counselling. This will need further discussion/arrangement between us to organise. I can travel to Brighton, Hove, Worthing, Lancing, Lewes, Saltdean, Rottingdean, Peacehaven & Newhaven, and generally around/near these areas.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mon-Weds, 9am-8pm. Weekend sessions available, contact to arrange
Types of client