Cherril Wilson-Toft MBACP (Accred), MA (Counselling), PG Cert. Supervision
I will work alongside you to explore fears, concerns, options and possible changes that you might like to make. I am a well qualified and very experienced counsellor who understands the importance of helping people tell their story.
Why do we go to Counselling?
Possibly we may be feeling depressed, overwhelmed, anxious, angry or confused in some way. We may have lost our self-esteem or we may be experiencing a particular relationship problem. Sometimes it can simply be loss: of a loved one, our work, an important relationship or our confidence.
What can Counselling offer?
Counselling offers a safe and non-judgmental space in which to look at and explore these feelings and concerns in some depth. It can offer a release of feelings as well as insight into why we might be experiencing these feelings. The safe and trusting relationship that client and counsellor can build together allows us to reframe past experiences, look at possible changes and feel more confident about our own resources. Change can be difficult but counselling can lead to increased self-confidence and self-insight. Understanding our story and valuing and accepting who we are can help with moving forward and so fulfilling our potential.
What can I offer you?
I offer short and long-term counselling according to what most suits your needs and circumstances. I have effectively worked with trauma, anxiety, work related stress and anger, which in many cases may be resolved within a short time frame. I am able to draw on my experience and knowledge of childhood and attachment and how these play out in our choice of relationship, responses to others and situations that might lead us to become depressed or over anxious. Every individual is different and I will seek to reflect this by tailoring our sessions to reflect your wishes. Our time together will respect your needs, wants and difficulties you may be experiencing.
The first meeting is an opportunity to explore what you would like from counselling, possible changes and to decide if you would like to work with me.
The counselling takes place in a very pleasant and relaxed environment. Please see more details under Further Information below.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and Qualifications:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling (2000) Leeds University
- MA in Counselling (2003) Leeds University: researching how we perceive help and ways in which mutually supportive relationships can be healing.
- Relate trained counsellor (2001): increasing the awareness of how the dynamics within couples and family can affect how our needs are met or not met within relationships.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling Supervision (2007). I have practiced as an individual and group supervisor supporting both students and established counsellors.
- EMDR: Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing (2009): working with individuals who present with past traumas that have become "stuck".
- Attachment Interest Group (2009): how our early attachment patterns are formed and how these can shape our sense of self and connection with others in adult life.
- Dynamics of Attachment in Adult Life (2012): understanding how our attachment patterns influence our relationships, our responses, our parenting styles and how we may express anger
- Anger, Rage and Relationships (2012): differentiating between expressing and working with anger, rage and feelings of panic.
I have 14 years experience as a personal counsellor, and have worked as a couple counsellor in Relate and in private practice. I have worked in universities as a student counsellor and have extensive counselling experience with work related problems. My professional life has been about working to make a difference; prior to training as a counsellor I was a teacher, manager and personal support worker.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Some of my areas of expertise include
Attachment & Relationship:how attachment patterns and family dynamics can influence our relationship choices and our responses within our relationships.
Work environment: organisational change; inappropriate work demands; bullying & harassment: work-related stress; assertiveness; retirement.
Student issues: relationships; self-care, anxiety, isolation; study problems
I offer a free introductory half hour session. Cost is £15.00 if you then stay for the full hour..
My standard fees are £40.00 per session for an hour's appointment. This may be negotiable in some cases.
For students on counselling courses I charge £25 per session.
I work in a very pleasant and private location in Much Wenlock. The Consulting room is on the ground floor with private external access.
Situated 12 miles south of Shrewsbury, 7 miles south of Telford, 8 miles north of Bridgnorth and 19 miles west of Wolverhampton.
Easy and accessible off-street parking available and very close to the 436/437 Shrewsbury to Bridgnorth bus routes.
I am also a Qualified Counselling Supervisor (PGC Counselling Supervision, Leeds University) and offer group and individual supervision to students and practicing counsellors.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Thursday - from 9.00 am to 7.00 pm, Fridays 9.00 am to 12.00 mid-day
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling Supervision (2007, University of Leeds).View supervision profile