Michael Cohen CPsychol, PPDip, MSc, BSc (Hons) Psych
34 Denmark Road
Crown Medical Centre
01398 332428 / 07743 700073
I draw on expertise in a variety of therapies, including brief solution focused therapy (BSFT), cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and psychodynamic therapy, as well as hypnotherapy, in order to help you make the right choices to achieve your goals.
I offer a non-judgemental service and do not descriminate on any grounds of gender, sexual orientation, race, age or disability.
WHO MIGHT BENEFIT FROM COUNSELLING?
Anyone who is motivated to change and is experiencing --
* depression, lack of confidence, low self-esteem
* difficulty recovering from bereavement, or other major life changes
* problems with addiction/depenency - alcohol, drugs etc
* panic attacks, anxiety, phobias, for example flying etc.
* obsessional behaviour
* difficulties in personal relationships
* problems that might have arisen from physical or sexual abuse
Training, qualifications & experience
I attended Birkbeck College, University of London to study for a BSc in psychology.
After graduating, I specialised in the discipline of Counselling through a Master’s Degree at London Guildhall University and finally a Post Practitioner’s Diploma at London Metropolitan University.
Since becoming a Chartered Psychologist, I have worked within the NHS, voluntary and private sectors seeing clients for individual sessions, family therapy and group therapy.
In addition to my private practice, I have specialised in addiction/dependency: alcohol, drugs etc, working in doctor’s surgeries, day centres and rehabilitation units.
I have also specialised in personality disorders and worked in an HM Prison Special Unit for prisoners diagnosed with Dangerous, Severe Personality Disorders (DSPD). I have seen prisoners for individual sessions, as well as being group facilitator in psychoanalytical and psychoeducational groups.
I devise and deliver various training packages, on CBT, Motivational Interviewing, Basic Counselling Skills, Alcohol Dependency and Cocaine Dependency.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Training packages in:
* Basic Counselling Skills
* Motivational Interviewing
* Alcohol/drug awareness
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
An initial short session is free of charge, to see if counselling will be helpful and appropriate. The likely length of therapy and the cost of sessions will be discussed.
Sometimes brief therapy of just two or three sessions is all that is necessary.
Session fees are currently £50 per hour and subject to annual review in April 14 and thereafter.
Many people seek therapeutic help at some time in their lives, is anxiety and/or depression affecting your day-to-day life? It may be at a sudden time of change, for example loss of a job, divorce, or the death of someone close to you. Possibly a problem has arisen over time, as the result of a combination of life-changing circumstances or relationship/marriage difficulties.
I adhere to The British Psychological Society Code of Ethics
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Supervision & training