Sharon Nicholson, Registered MBACP Accred - Adv. Dip. Therapeutic Counselling
''It is a joy to be hidden, and disaster not to be found' - D.W Winnicott
My name is Sharon Nicholson and my private practice is based in a restorative harbourside location in Weymouth, Dorset.
Qualified since 2006, I am a BACP Registered and Accredited Counsellor with a wealth of training and experience to draw from in order to best support you.
Counselling is an investment in yourself as the resources you gain and the changes you can make can be life-long. With this in mind, I suggest that you choose a counsellor who you are drawn to and who has the qualifications and training most appropriate for your needs.
How may I help you?
Do you feel that talking to someone may help you right now?
Are you low in mood or feeling stuck, lost, anxious or confused?
Jon Kabat-Zinn, founder of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) said
“If we hope to go anywhere or develop ourselves in any way, we can only step from where we are standing. If we don’t really know where we are standing… We may only go in circles…”
Feeling as if we are going around in circles can be very frustrating and affect how we see ourselves, and in turn, affect our personal and professional relationships.
Life can be great but it can also be really tough at times.
If you have reached a low point in your life right now you do not have to struggle through it alone - you are human, not super-human.
Gain some relief
Counselling with me addresses current experiences and gives you the opportunity to gain some relief from what you may have minimised, or buried inside.
You have the chance to better understand what your experiences mean to you and learn new ways of coping.
You have the chance to to improve the relationship that you have with yourself, and others.
I have been working as a fully qualified counsellor since 2006, and I regularly help people experiencing difficulties with:
- Long-term health issues
- Feelings of anger, guilt or shame
- Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Domestic Abuse
- Low self-esteem
- Work related stress
- Coping with change
Counselling offers you a safe space to explore your experiences without being judged.
You do not have to wait until you feel that you can no longer cope as counselling can help to prevent you reaching that point. If you have already reached that point, please reach out for support now.
Research suggests that developing our capacity for self-compassion increases our resilience. This in turn can ultimately improve our quality of life and effectively address issues around depression and anxiety.
Together, we can give you the opportunity to find some clarity and take ownership of your life.
- I feel very fortunate to be based by the coast in my home town of Weymouth as I have a particular affinity for the sea. I believe that our environment, both past and present, contributes to our sense of wellbeing.
- I am passionate about my therapeutic work and I am especially passionate about increasing self-awareness around our needs as individuals. The 'one size fits all' approach is not what you will experience with me.
- Through both my own difficult life experiences, and through helping others, I've come to greatly appreciate the true value of self-care. We can often feel an inner-conflict around giving ourselves permission to attend to our own needs and the many blocks to this can be complex.
- Are you the one who is always there for everyone else? ~ I believe in fostering self-compassion as a powerful resource and if we have not been taught how, we will naturally struggle with this.
- I believe in personal empowerment and granting ourselves permission to live the best life that we can.
- I believe that our lives can be much richer when we can trust our own truth and connect to a sense of personal meaning and purpose.
- I believe that our experiences can change us, but they do not define who we are.
- Being able to be truly heard and have someone bear witness to our personal stories can be an empowering and transformative process.
These values strongly inform my professional practice and consequently what I am able to share with you through my therapeutic work.
Unsure about counselling?
Feel free to contact me for a free telephone consultation to talk things through.
**For testimonials, my blog, and more about my work, please click to my website www.sharon-nicholson.com **
Training, qualifications & experience
Professional Practice Specialism - Counselling for Depression
- Professionally trained in London and the South West, my practice is well respected locally and I work with people recommended and referred to me from professionals and organisations across Dorset and the surrounding counties.
- I established my Private Practice in 2007, and alongside this, I worked as a Senior High Intensity Counsellor in the NHS for 10 years (IAPT - Improving Access to Psychological Therapies)
- During my work with IAPT, I trained and specialised in Person-Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression (PCE-CfD) and subsequently qualified as both a PCE-CFD Practitioner and Clinical Supervisor.
- PCE-CfD is an effective, evidence-based therapy for low mood & depression, used within the NHS and recognised by NICE (The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence).
- I continue to supervise both trainee and qualified counsellors practicing locally, and I am listed as an approved PCE-CfD Supervisor with The Metanoia Institute, London.
I am registered with the Professional Standards Authority Register no. 019950
This register lists therapists who have demonstrated high professional standards and is in place so that you can choose a counsellor who has been independently assessed and approved.
- Certificate in Essential Supervision Skills (2018)- British Psychological Society Approved (BPS)
- Person-Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression (PCE-CfD) Supervisor (2018) - Metanoia Institute, London
- Person-Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression Practitioner (PCE-CfD) (2015) - Metanoia Institute, London
- BACP Accreditation Status (continuous since 2009)
- Diploma in Counselling Children and Adolescents (2009) - Iron Mill Institute, Exeter
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (2006) - Weymouth College
- VRQ Certificate in Youth work (2006) - DYCS, Dorset County Council
- CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Studies (2004) - Weymouth College
- CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Skills (2003) - Weymouth College
- CACDP British Sign Language Level 1 (2003) - Weymouth Adult Learning Centre
Post- Qualifying Additional Training
I work in accordance with the BACP Ethical framework for Good Practice and I am committed to continuing professional development (CPD) and on-going training - I undertake a minimum of 30 hours CPD per year in order to maintain my Accreditation status.
My additional CPD training has been extensive over the years, and includes;
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Polyvagal Theory
- Asperger's Syndrome Enhanced Skills Training
- Trauma and the Body: Dissociation & Somatisation
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Bereavement by Suicide
- Imposter Syndrome and Low Self-Esteem
- Understanding Your Eating
- Metaphors & Rituals as expression in Dissociative Eating
- Domestic Abuse
- Surviving Childhood Abuse & Parenting
Alongside my established Private Practice, my counselling work has included;
- Counselling in NHS Primary Care (IAPT) (10 yrs) (High Intensity, Senior Counsellor)
- GP Surgeries - Dorchester Road Surgery, Royal Crescent Surgery, Littlemoor Health Centre, Weymouth
- Counselling for Depression (CfD)
- Bereavement counselling
- Local Business - Counselling for employees
- National Agencies & Charity Organisations
- RUSS (Trauma - Road User Support Service)
- Further Education (Senior Counsellor) Weymouth College, (Placement) Budmouth College
- Higher Education Bournemouth University - Counselling for students
- Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP’s) Counselling for employees
- Women’s Refuge (4yrs) - Domestic Abuse Counselling
- Counselling Supervisor for CfD counsellors and Humanistic counsellors with a Person-Centred, Experiential, core practice.
In addition to my counselling work, I have lead 'Pattern Changing' personal development courses for women who have experienced Domestic Abuse - specialist training with Dorset County Council & BCHA.
Previous to my career as a counsellor, I held a portfolio lead position in The Dorset Youth & Community Service. I managed a county-wide team providing supervision to youth workers, and 1:1 mentoring and coaching for 18-24 yr olds.
I designed and facilitated a personal and social development project for young people in further education - Children's Services, Dorset County Council (2005-2010)
I am fully insured and hold an enhanced DBS certificate.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I do not work with couples but I offer 1:1 support for relationship issues, affairs and betrayals, separation and divorce, low self-confidence, work related issues.
Full website at www.sharon-nicholson.com
Photos & videos
Fees can often vary between counsellors and this can be due to a number of factors, including; Qualifications and experience, Registration /Accreditation status, additional post-qualifying specialisms
- My session fee is £55
- If you are unable to afford my full fee, I offer a limited number of places in my practice with reduced fee sessions - please feel free to ask
I respond to all counselling enquiries so please check your junk/spam folders if you haven't received a reply to your email within 48 hours
- Sessions are offered on a weekly basis in order for counselling to be most effective.
- I offer short-term or long-term counselling
- I am DBS checked
- I hold Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Free allocated parking space available
"Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know" - Pema Chödrön
For further information about myself and my work, please see my full website and Blog -
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime appointments offered
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|