Sharon Nicholson, Registered MBACP Accred - Adv. Dip. Therapeutic Counselling
''It is a joy to be hidden, and disaster not to be found' - D.W Winnicott
Hello. My name is Sharon Nicholson and I run a therapeutic harbourside practice in the coastal town of Weymouth, Dorset.
I am a fully qualified, Registered and Accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), and I use effective evidence-based therapy to work with you to improve the quality of your life.
'Quality of life' will mean different things to different people and so our work together will be based around your own personal meanings
You may be seeking short-term support for a specific difficulty or you may wish to explore themes or patterns that you feel you maybe repeating in your life.
Whatever your reasons for seeking counselling, you have the chance to better understand what your experiences mean to you and learn new ways of coping.
Sessions are held in a warm and welcoming harbourside space, created for your comfort.
I have been working as a counsellor for over 12 years and regularly help people experiencing;
- Relationship issues
- Unresolved Trauma
- Adjustment difficulties after significant life events
- A general sense of dissatisfaction, unrest or feeling sad
Counselling is an investment in yourself as the resources you gain and the changes you can make can be life-long. With this in mind, I suggest that you choose a counsellor who you are drawn to, and who has the qualifications and training most appropriate for your needs.
Effective, evidence-based therapy
- Professionally trained in London and the South West, my practice is well respected locally and I work with people recommended and referred to me from across Dorset and the surrounding counties.
- I established my Private Practice in 2007, and alongside this, I worked as a High Intensity Senior Counsellor in the NHS for 10 years (mainly focused on working with bereavement, anxiety, low mood and depression)
- Whilst working in the NHS, I trained and specialised in Counselling for Depression (CfD). CfD is an effective, evidence based therapy for low mood & depression used within the NHS and recognised by NICE (The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence).
- I am listed as a CfD Supervisor with the Metanoia Institute, London.
How does counselling work?
We ALL struggle at times
It is perfectly ok, and often very wise, to seek support when we are having a tough time.
Counselling offers you a safe space to explore your experiences without being judged.
It is a collaborative process that we work through together so you don't need to know any answers in advance.
Counselling addresses the difficulties you are currently experiencing in your life, and acknowledges that past experience can unconsciously impact on our present. In order to cope with difficult times in our lives, we can repress uncomfortable feelings. Talking to a counsellor gives us the chance to gain some relief from what we have minimised, or buried inside by safely exploring and expressing how we may really be feeling.
A toxic inner-critic can often trap us in painful patterns of shame or even fear. Counselling can help you to recognise and address this, allowing for a sense of healing and personal growth.
Together, we can help you to make sense of what your experiences mean to you and help you to gain, or regain, a sense of ownership of your life.
I work with compassion and empathy within all of my work and I support you to increase resilience by relating to yourself in this way.
My extensive professional training allows me to use aspects of different models of therapies in order to flexibly adapt to individual needs.
Your experiences do not define who you are
New Perspectives - As children we play, dream, imagine and explore. Working creatively allows us to encompass all of these elements that the inhibitions and barriers of adulthood may have now blocked. Finding new ways to look at things and explore what they mean for us can be liberating.
Walk and Talk - Exercise can help to alleviate anxiety and depression, improving our mood as well as our physical health. Finding the motivation to go and exercise, or even get outside, is not always that easy so having a 'walk and talk' session maybe the answer for you. Getting outdoors for a walk in nature can get things moving for us physically and it can also help us to become 'unstuck' as we find head space for clearer thought processes.
Please feel free to enquire for more details if this way of working interests you.
There is no 'one size fits all' as our experiences are unique to us
How we work together will be tailored to suit your needs, and ultimately whatever you are most comfortable with.
- I am passionate about my therapeutic work and I am especially passionate about increasing self-awareness around our needs. Research suggests that developing our capacity for self-compassion increases our resilience and this in turn, can ultimately improve our quality of life.
- Through both my own life experiences, and through helping others, I've come to greatly appreciate the true value of self-care. We can often feel an inner-conflict around giving ourselves permission to attend to our own needs and the blocks to this can be complex.
- I believe that our lives can be much richer when we are connected to a sense of meaning and purpose. We can feel lost when we become disconnected from ourselves and what really matters to us.
- Being able to share and have someone trained to really hear, and bear witness to, our personal stories can be an empowering and transformative process.
- I have had some excellent training and I enjoy sharing my experience and learning to help others to make a positive difference to their lives.
These values strongly inform my professional practice and consequently what I am able to share with you through my therapeutic work.
Unsure about counselling? Feel free to contact me to talk things through.
**For testimonials, my blog, and more about my work, please click to my website www.sharon-nicholson.com **
Training, qualifications & experience
I am registered with the Professional Standards Authority Register no. 019950 This register only lists therapists who have demonstrated high professional standards. It is for the benefit of the public, so that you can choose a counsellor who has been independently assessed and approved.
- Certificate in Essential Supervision Skills (2018)- British Psychological Society Approved (BPS)
- Counselling for Depression (CfD) Supervisor (2018) - Metanoia Institute, London
- Counselling for Depression -CfD (2015) - Metanoia Institute, London
- BACP Accreditation Status (continuous since 2009)
- Post Qualifying Diploma in Counselling Children and Adolescents (2009) - Iron Mill Institute, Exeter
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (2006) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Studies (2004) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Skills (2003) - Weymouth
I work in accordance with the BACP Ethical framework for Good Practice and I am committed to continuing professional development (CPD) and on-going training - I undertake a minimum of 30 hours CPD per year in order to maintain my Accreditation status.
My additional CPD training has been extensive over the years, and includes;
- Child Sexual Abuse - Hope for Healing
- Unravelling the Mystery of Memory in the Treatment of Trauma
- Asperger's Syndrome Enhanced Skills Training
- Trauma and the Body: Dissociation & Somatisation
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Counselling for Depression
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Bereavement by Suicide
- Working with issues of Low Self-Esteem
- Understanding Your Eating
- Metaphors & Rituals as expression in Dissociative Eating
- Surviving Childhood Abuse & Parenting
Alongside my established Private Practice, my counselling work has included;
- Counselling in NHS Primary Care (IAPT) (10 yrs) (High Intensity, Senior Counsellor)
- GP Surgeries - Dorchester Road Surgery, Royal Crescent Surgery, Littlemoor Health Centre, Weymouth
- Counselling for Depression (CfD)
- Bereavement counselling
- Local Business - Counselling for employees
- National Agencies & Charity Organisations
- RUSS (Trauma - Road User Support Service)
- Further Education (Senior Counsellor) Weymouth College, Budmouth College
- Higher Education Bournemouth University - Counselling for students
- Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP’s) Counselling for employees
- Women’s Refuge (4yrs) - Domestic Abuse Counselling
- Counselling Supervisor for CfD counsellors and Humanistic counsellors with a Person-Centred, Experiential, core practice.
In addition to my counselling work, I have lead 'Pattern Changing' personal development courses for women who have experienced Domestic Abuse - specialist training with Dorset County Council & BCHA.
Previous to my career as a counsellor, I held a portfolio lead position in The Dorset Youth & Community Service. I managed a county-wide team providing supervision to youth workers, and 1:1 mentoring and coaching for 18-24 yr olds.
I designed and facilitated a personal and social development project for young people in further education - Children's Services, Dorset County Council (2005-2010)
I am fully insured and hold an enhanced DBS certificate.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Relationship issues, affairs and betrayals, separation and divorce, low self-confidence, work related issues.
Full website at www.sharon-nicholson.com
Photos & videos
Fees can often vary between counsellors and this can be due to a number of factors, including; Qualifications and experience, Registration /Accreditation status, additional post-qualifying specialisms
- My session fee is £50*
- *If you are unable to afford my full fee, I offer a limited number of places in my practice with reduced fee sessions - please feel free to ask
I respond to all counselling enquiries so please check your junk/spam folders if you haven't received a reply to your email within 48 hours
- Sessions are offered on a weekly basis in order for counselling to be most effective.
- I offer short-term or long-term counselling
- I am DBS checked
- I hold Professional Indemnity Insurance
"Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know" - Pema Chödrön
For further information about myself and my work, please see my full website and Blog -
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime appointments offered
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|