"Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know" ~ Pema Chödrön
Hello. My name is Sharon and I have an established on-line private practice.
I offer effective, confidential counselling sessions via Zoom or by telephone.
I have specialised in Counselling for Depression and I have a particular interest in working with Bereavement & Loss and Low Self-Esteem.
Professionally trained in London and the South West, I have been counselling for over 15 years. I have a wealth of experience to draw upon in order to best support you.
I am enhanced DBS checked and BACP Registered and Accredited.
I established my private practice in 2007, and alongside this, I worked as counsellor and clinical supervisor in the NHS for 10 years.
How may I help you?
- Often people contact me when they are feeling either anxious, overwhelmed, low in mood, stuck, disconnected or lost.
- You may have experienced a recent difficult life event, such as a bereavement, illness, redundancy or relationship breakdown, or it maybe that you are struggling with unresolved issues from the past.
- We have all experienced many adjustments during the last couple of years, resulting in life becoming challenging in ways we could not have expected.
Gain some relief
- Counselling with me addresses what you are currently feeling, and gives you the opportunity to find clarity and gain some relief from difficult or distressing emotions.
Awareness gives you choices
- Understanding what your experiences mean to you gives you the opportunity to learn new ways of coping and improve your relationships, including the one with yourself.
I regularly help people experiencing difficulties with:
- Feeling sad
- Family issues
- Long-term health issues
- Feelings of anger, guilt or shame
- Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Domestic Abuse
- Low self-esteem
- Work related stress
- Coping with change
Counselling offers you a space to explore your experiences without judgement.
- I am passionate about my work and in particular, about increasing self-awareness around our needs.
- Through my own difficult life experiences, and through my work with others, I've come to appreciate the value of self-care. Giving ourselves permission to attend to our own needs can be a complex process.
- I believe in promoting personal empowerment and living the best life that we can.
- I believe that our lives can be enriched when we are able to trust our own truth and live with a sense of meaning and purpose.
- I believe that our experiences change us, but they do not have to define who we are.
- Being able to be truly heard can be a liberating and transformative process.
My values inform my professional practice and consequently what I can share with you within my therapeutic work.
Unsure about having counselling?
You are welcome to contact me for a free brief telephone consultation to help you decide.
**For testimonials, my blog, and more about my work, please click to my website www.sharon-nicholson.com **
Training, qualifications & experience
- Professionally trained in London and the South West, my practice is well respected locally. I work with self-referrals and people signposted and referred to me via GP's, other professionals, charities and organisations across the UK.
- I established my Private Practice in 2007, and alongside this, I worked as a Senior High Intensity Counsellor in the NHS for 10 years (IAPT - Improving Access to Psychological Therapies)
- During my work with IAPT, I trained and specialised in Person-Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression (PCE-CfD) and subsequently qualified as both a PCE-CFD Practitioner and Clinical Supervisor.
- PCE-CfD is an effective, evidence-based therapy for low mood & depression, used within the NHS and recognised by NICE (The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence).
- I continue to offer supervision to counsellors practicing locally.
I am registered with the Professional Standards Authority Register no. 019950
This register lists therapists who have demonstrated high professional standards and is in place so that you can choose a counsellor who has been independently assessed and approved.
- Certificate in Online and Telephone Counselling (2020)
- Certificate in Essential Supervision Skills (2018)- British Psychological Society Approved (BPS)
- Person-Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression (PCE-CfD) Supervisor (2018) - Metanoia Institute, London
- Person-Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression Practitioner (PCE-CfD) (2015) - Metanoia Institute, London
- BACP Accreditation Status (continuous since 2009)
- Diploma in Counselling Children and Adolescents (2009) - Iron Mill Institute, Exeter
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (2006) - Weymouth College
- VRQ Certificate in Youth work (2006) - DYCS, Dorset County Council
- CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Studies (2004) - Weymouth College
- CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Skills (2003) - Weymouth College
- CACDP British Sign Language Level 1 (2003) - Weymouth Adult Learning Centre
Post- Qualifying Additional Training
I adhere to the BACP Ethical framework for Good Practice and I undertake a minimum of 30 hours CPD per year in order to maintain my Accreditation status.
My additional CPD training has been extensive over the years;
- Anxiety and Grief
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Online Counselling
- Polyvagal Theory
- Asperger's Syndrome Enhanced Skills Training
- Trauma and the Body: Dissociation & Somatisation
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Bereavement by Suicide
- Imposter Syndrome and Low Self-Esteem
- Understanding Your Eating
- Metaphors & Rituals as expression in Dissociative Eating
- Domestic Abuse
- Surviving Childhood Abuse & Parenting
Alongside my Private Practice, my counselling work has included;
- Counselling in NHS Primary Care (IAPT) (10 yrs) (High Intensity, Senior Counsellor)
- GP Surgeries - Dorchester Road Surgery, Royal Crescent Surgery, Littlemoor Health Centre, Weymouth
- Counselling for Depression (CfD)
- Bereavement counselling
- Local Business - Counselling for employees
- National Agencies & Charity Organisations
- RUSS (Trauma - Road User Support Service)
- Further Education (Senior Counsellor) Weymouth College, (Placement) Budmouth College
- Higher Education Bournemouth University - Counselling for students
- Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP’s) Counselling for employees
- Women’s Refuge (4yrs) - Domestic Abuse Counselling
- Counselling Supervisor for CfD counsellors and Humanistic counsellors with a Person-Centred, Experiential, core practice.
I have facilitated 'Pattern Changing' personal development courses for women who have experienced Domestic Abuse - a specialist training with Dorset County Council & BCHA.
Previous to my career as a counsellor, I held a portfolio lead position with The Dorset Youth & Community Service. I managed a county-wide team and provided supervision to youth workers and 1:1 mentoring and coaching sessions for 18-24 yr olds.
I created and facilitated a personal and social development project for young people in further education - Children's Services, Dorset County Council (2005-2010)
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
The Association for Counselling and Therapy Online
The Association for Counselling and Therapy Online
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I do not work with couples but I do offer 1:1 support for relationship issues, affairs and betrayals and separation and divorce.
I offer support for low self-confidence, work related issues and prolonged periods of low mood or feeling sad
Full website at www.sharon-nicholson.com
£60.00 per session
Free initial telephone session
Concessions offered for
EAP/Health Insurance Providers
Fees can vary between counsellors and this can be due to a number of factors, including; Qualifications & experience and additional post-qualifying specialist trainings.
- I offer a free of charge brief telephone consultation if you are unsure whether or not counselling is right for you.
- If you are unable to afford my full fee, I offer a limited number of places in my practice with reduced fee sessions - please feel free to enquire
- I have BUPA recognition
I respond to all counselling enquiries so please check your junk/spam folders if you haven't received a reply to your email within 24 hours
- Daytime appointments offered
- Sessions are recommended on a weekly basis in order for counselling to be most effective.
- I offer short-term or long-term counselling
- I am DBS checked
- I hold Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Online sessions via Zoom or telephone
For further information about myself and my work, please see my full website