Sharon Nicholson, Registered MBACP Accred. Therapeutic Counsellor
"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you" - Maya Angelou
We all have our own stories and sometimes we need to be deeply heard in order to make sense of them. Talking to somebody who is trained to really listen can be an empowering experience.
My name is Sharon Nicholson and I am a BACP Registered and Accredited Counsellor in Weymouth, Dorset.
Professionally trained in London and the South West, I work with people from across Dorset and the surrounding counties and I am passionate about my work.
We are all Human and struggle at times. Counselling gives us the chance to explore our experiences, past & present, to help us more fully understand the impact and meaning these have had for us, and to enable us to find new meanings and purpose in our lives.
Alongside my Private Practice, I have worked as a High Intensity Counsellor in the NHS for 10 years. My work has included specialising in Counselling for Depression (CfD) and supervising other counsellors.
Since qualifying in 2006, I have worked with people of all ages seeking support for many different reasons
You may have experienced life events or trauma, past or present, that have left you feeling distressed or differently in some way? You maybe questioning your patterns of relationships, feel stressed or pressured in your personal or professional life, or maybe your life just doesn't seem to work for you anymore and you are struggling to find any sense of meaning or purpose?
It can be tempting to try to ignore how we really feel, but putting on a brave face and dismissing our own experience can often leave us feeling much worse.
I offer effective short-term or long-term counselling. Some of the many issues I have helped people with are: bereavement, loss, depression, anxiety, stress, complicated grief, bereavement by suicide, relationship issues, anger, long-term health conditions, feelings of guilt or shame, abuse, domestic abuse (experienced by men or women), trauma, redundancy, low self-esteem, work-place issues and coping with change...
Client Testimonial - Google Review
'Sharon is incredibly kind, supportive and patient. Counselling isn't an easy process but it is rewarding and Sharon respects this by creating a safe and relaxed environment. Sharon's warm, empathic approach and her ability to work with you at your own pace puts you instantly at ease. I would highly recommend to anyone considering counselling'.
About me and my work
My core practice is Person-Centred, Humanistic, working at your pace and with what you wish to explore.
Through my own life experiences, and through helping others, I've come to greatly appreciate the true value of self-care. We can often feel an inner-conflict around giving ourselves permission to attend to our own needs and this can be rooted in our previous experiences and relationships, most often right back to our early years. Better understanding of our experiences can help us to truly recognise our own needs and help us to take better care of ourselves, in both our personal and working lives.
I promote Mindfulness-based work which focuses on strengthening your personal resources and resilience. This can be especially effective if you are looking for support for anxiety and stress-related difficulties.
My holistic and compassion-focussed approach helps to alleviate distress and provides a safe space for you to explore and process experiences, whether recent or historic.
Many people come to me for support through the process of grief after bereavement or loss. This can be an especially difficult, and sometimes complex time, so if you feel that you need some emotional support after a loss of any kind, I welcome your enquiry. This is a specialist area of interest in my work.
For further testimonials and more about my work, please see my website and Blog listed in my details at the top of this page
Training, qualifications & experience
I hold accreditation status with the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy- evidencing of high standard of competence and ethical practice) and with the Professional Standards Authority Register - no. 019950
I work in accordance with the BACP Ethical framework for Good Practice and I am committed to continuing professional development (CPD) and on-going training - I undertake a minimum of 30 hours CPD per year in order to maintain my Accreditation status and I am fully insured.
Counselling for Depression (CfD) Supervisor (2018) - Metanoia Institute, London Certificate of competence to supervise other counsellors with specialist CfD practice. Core knowledge of Person Centred and Humanistic approaches underpin this relational work and I offer supervision to counsellors with a core Person-Centred practice.
Counselling for Depression -CfD (2015) - Metanoia Institute, London. Post qualifying, specialist, evidenced based therapy, endorsed by BACP and recognised by NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence). The CfD model works with intrapersonal processes such as low self-esteem and excessive self-criticism which often maintain depressed mood.
- BACP Accreditation Status (continuous since 2009)
- Post Qualifying Diploma in Counselling Children and Adolescents (2009) - Iron Mill Institute, Exeter
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (2006) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Studies (2004) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Skills (2003) - Weymouth
Alongside my established Private Practice, my counselling work has included;
- Counselling in NHS Primary Care (10 yrs) (High Intensity, Senior Counsellor)
- Specialist Counselling for Depression (CfD) & Low Mood
- Local Business / Carers support agencies & organisations
- RUSS (Trauma - Road User Support Service)
- Further Education (Senior Counsellor) Weymouth College, Budmouth College
- Higher Education Bournemouth University
- Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP’s)
- Women’s Refuge (4yrs) - Domestic Abuse
- GP Surgery - Accreditation Placement
- Further Education - Placement Counsellor at Budmouth College
- Supervisor for CfD counsellors and Humanistic counsellors with a Person Centred, Experiential core practice.
In addition to my counselling work, I have lead 'Pattern Changing' personal development courses for women who have experienced Domestic Abuse - specialist training with Dorset County Council & BCHA.
Previous to my career as a counsellor, I held a portfolio lead position in The Dorset Youth & Community Service. I managed a county-wide team providing 1:1 mentoring and coaching for 18-24 yr olds and I designed and facilitated a personal and social development project for young people in further education - Children's Services, Dorset County Council (2005-2010)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
* I am currently involved with the 'Time to Talk' initiative and am pleased to offer counselling sessions to unpaid carers in Dorset.
For further details and information on how to access this specific service for carers, please see the Dorset Carers Websites My Life My Care https://www.mylifemycare.com/ and CRISP Dorset http://www.crispweb.org/home.aspx
For all other enquiries and for further information about myself and my work, please contact me direct.
Full website at www.sharon-nicholson.com
- For self-funded referrals, sessions are at the reduced rate of £45 for 1 full hour
- No hidden costs
- Concessions for low income clients & Trainee Counsellors - limited availability
- If you have been referred through your workplace, I will invoice your employer directly
- If you are an employer or represent an agency seeking counselling support for your staff or service users, please enquire for further information regarding my terms.
Based in Weymouth, Dorset, my practice is very accessible for anyone seeking counselling from the areas in and around Weymouth, Portland, Dorchester, Poundbury, Portesham, Abbotsbury, Bridport and Blandford Forum.
I accept referrals from individuals and agencies and over the years I have worked with people referring from across Devon, Dorset, Hampshire and London.
- Sessions are by appointment only
- Most clients attend sessions weekly in order for counselling to be most effective.
- A commitment to regular attendance is needed in order for therapy to progress.
- There is free parking available.
For further information about myself and my work, please see my full website and Blog -
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday, Tuesday, Friday - Daytime and evening appointments offered depending upon availability.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|