Sharon Nicholson, Registered MBACP Accred - Adv. Dip. Therapeutic Counselling
''It is a joy to be hidden, and disaster not to be found' - D.W Winnicott
My name is Sharon Nicholson and my private practice is based in a restorative harbourside location in Weymouth, Dorset.
Qualified since 2006, I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor with a wealth of training and experience to draw from in order to best support you.
Counselling is an investment in yourself as the resources you gain and the changes you can make can be life-long. With this in mind, I suggest that you choose a counsellor who you are drawn to and who has the qualifications and training most appropriate for your needs.
How may I help you?
Sometimes it can be difficult to find the words to describe what we are experiencing and how we are feeling.
Jon Kabat-Zinn, founder of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) said
“If we hope to go anywhere or develop ourselves in any way, we can only step from where we are standing. If we don’t really know where we are standing… We may only go in circles…”
Feeling stuck or as if you are going around in circles is something that you maybe able to identify with, and this can be a difficult and sometimes debilitating experience. It can affect how we see ourselves and in turn, our personal and professional relationships.
Counselling addresses your current experiences whilst acknowledging that in order to cope with difficult times in our lives, we can repress uncomfortable feelings.
Working with me gives you the chance to gain some relief from what you may have unconsciously minimised, or buried inside.
Are you overly self-critical?
- A toxic inner-critic can often trap us in painful patterns of shame or even fear.
Helping you to understand the relationship you have with yourself is fundamental in my therapeutic work as excessive self-criticism and inner-conflicts can leave you feeling 'battle weary' and maintain low mood and depression.
Counselling offers you a safe space to explore your experiences without being judged.
However you are feeling and whatever your reasons for seeking counselling, you have the chance to better understand what your experiences mean to you, find a sense of hope, learn new ways of coping and free yourself to lead a more fulfilling life.
I regularly help people experiencing difficulties relating to;
- Relationship issues
- Unresolved trauma
- Historic abuse
- Adjustment difficulties after significant life events
- A general sense of dissatisfaction, unrest or feeling sad
- Professionally trained in London and the South West, my practice is well respected locally and I work with people recommended and referred to me from across Dorset and the surrounding counties.
- I worked as a Senior High Intensity Senior Counsellor in the NHS for 10 years
Person-Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression (PCE-CfD).
PCE-CfD is an effective, evidence-based therapy for low mood & depression, used within the NHS and recognised by NICE (The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence).
I qualified as a PCE-CfD Supervisor with the Metanoia Institute, London, and I am on their approved list of CfD Supervisors.
I offer clinical supervision to other local counsellors who have a Humanistic, Experiential practice
- I am passionate about my therapeutic work and I am especially passionate about increasing self-awareness around our needs. Research suggests that developing our capacity for self-compassion increases our resilience and this in turn, can ultimately improve our quality of life.
- Through both my own life experiences, and through helping others, I've come to greatly appreciate the true value of self-care. We can often feel an inner-conflict around giving ourselves permission to attend to our own needs and the blocks to this can be complex.
- I believe that our lives can be much richer when we are connected to a sense of meaning and purpose. We can feel lost when we become disconnected from ourselves and what really matters to us.
- Being able to share and have someone trained to really hear, and bear witness to, our personal stories can be an empowering and transformative process.
- I have had some excellent training and I enjoy sharing my experience and learning to help others to make a positive difference to their lives.
These values strongly inform my professional practice and consequently what I am able to share with you through my therapeutic work.
Unsure about counselling? Feel free to contact me to talk things through.
**For testimonials, my blog, and more about my work, please click to my website www.sharon-nicholson.com **
Training, qualifications & experience
I am registered with the Professional Standards Authority Register no. 019950 This register only lists therapists who have demonstrated high professional standards. It is for the benefit of the public, so that you can choose a counsellor who has been independently assessed and approved.
- Certificate in Essential Supervision Skills (2018)- British Psychological Society Approved (BPS)
- Person-Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression (PCE-CfD) Supervisor (2018) - Metanoia Institute, London
- Person-Centred Experiential Counselling for Depression (PCE-CFD)Practitioner (2015) - Metanoia Institute, London
- BACP Accreditation Status (continuous since 2009)
- Post Qualifying Diploma in Counselling Children and Adolescents (2009) - Iron Mill Institute, Exeter
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (2006) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Studies (2004) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Skills (2003) - Weymouth
I work in accordance with the BACP Ethical framework for Good Practice and I am committed to continuing professional development (CPD) and on-going training - I undertake a minimum of 30 hours CPD per year in order to maintain my Accreditation status.
My additional CPD training has been extensive over the years, and includes;
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Polyvagal Theory
- Asperger's Syndrome Enhanced Skills Training
- Trauma and the Body: Dissociation & Somatisation
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Bereavement by Suicide
- Imposter Syndrome and Low Self-Esteem
- Understanding Your Eating
- Metaphors & Rituals as expression in Dissociative Eating
- Domestic Abuse
- Surviving Childhood Abuse & Parenting
Alongside my established Private Practice, my counselling work has included;
- Counselling in NHS Primary Care (IAPT) (10 yrs) (High Intensity, Senior Counsellor)
- GP Surgeries - Dorchester Road Surgery, Royal Crescent Surgery, Littlemoor Health Centre, Weymouth
- Counselling for Depression (CfD)
- Bereavement counselling
- Local Business - Counselling for employees
- National Agencies & Charity Organisations
- RUSS (Trauma - Road User Support Service)
- Further Education (Senior Counsellor) Weymouth College, (Placement) Budmouth College
- Higher Education Bournemouth University - Counselling for students
- Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP’s) Counselling for employees
- Women’s Refuge (4yrs) - Domestic Abuse Counselling
- Counselling Supervisor for CfD counsellors and Humanistic counsellors with a Person-Centred, Experiential, core practice.
In addition to my counselling work, I have lead 'Pattern Changing' personal development courses for women who have experienced Domestic Abuse - specialist training with Dorset County Council & BCHA.
Previous to my career as a counsellor, I held a portfolio lead position in The Dorset Youth & Community Service. I managed a county-wide team providing supervision to youth workers, and 1:1 mentoring and coaching for 18-24 yr olds.
I designed and facilitated a personal and social development project for young people in further education - Children's Services, Dorset County Council (2005-2010)
I am fully insured and hold an enhanced DBS certificate.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Relationship issues, affairs and betrayals, separation and divorce, low self-confidence, work related issues.
Full website at www.sharon-nicholson.com
Photos & videos
Fees can often vary between counsellors and this can be due to a number of factors, including; Qualifications and experience, Registration /Accreditation status, additional post-qualifying specialisms
- My session fee is £50*
- *If you are unable to afford my full fee, I offer a limited number of places in my practice with reduced fee sessions - please feel free to ask
I respond to all counselling enquiries so please check your junk/spam folders if you haven't received a reply to your email within 48 hours
- Sessions are offered on a weekly basis in order for counselling to be most effective.
- I offer short-term or long-term counselling
- I am DBS checked
- I hold Professional Indemnity Insurance
"Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know" - Pema Chödrön
For further information about myself and my work, please see my full website and Blog -
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime appointments offered
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|