Sharon Nicholson, Registered MBACP Accred. Therapeutic Counsellor
- We are all human and struggle at times. Whether you are feeling confused or stuck, anxious or depressed, we all have our own stories and sometimes we need to be more deeply heard in order to make sense of our experiences and find out what we really need.
My name is Sharon Nicholson and I am a BACP Registered and Accredited Counsellor in Weymouth, Dorset.
I offer effective 1:1 counselling to help you to feel better about yourself and improve your quality of life.
Professionally trained in London and the South West, I work with people from across Dorset and the surrounding counties. I established my Private Practice in 2007, and alongside this, I worked as a High Intensity Counsellor in the NHS for 10 years.
Counselling is an investment in yourself as the resources you gain and the changes you can make can be long-lasting. Be mindful to choose a counsellor who has the relevant experience and training to best support you with your needs.
I specialised in Counselling for Depression (CfD) within the NHS and I supervise the work of other counsellors.
I help many people experiencing anxiety, stress, relationship issues, adjustment difficulties after significant life events or a general sense of dissatisfaction, unrest or feeling sad.
I aim to make the process of counselling as rewarding as possible for you and I recognise that it can take courage to make that initial contact.
My core practice is Person-Centred, working at your pace and with what you wish to explore.
People come to see me for many different reasons and having someone trained to hear what is really happening for you can be a life-changing and empowering experience.
I offer a bespoke service, tailored together to suit your own individual needs.
Find some clarity...
If you feel conflicted, or that life is getting on top of you, I can offer you 'time-out', and some breathing space in order to find some clarity around what you need.
Some of the many issues I have helped people with are: bereavement, loss, depression, anxiety, stress, complicated grief, relationship issues, anger, mid-life experience, feelings of guilt or shame, childhood sexual abuse, domestic abuse, low self-esteem, work related stress, coping with change...
I feel very privileged to be doing the work that I have a passion for. I have had some excellent training and I enjoy sharing my experience and learning to help others to make a positive difference to their lives.
For testimonials, my blog, and more about my work, please see my website listed in my details at the top of this page
Training, qualifications & experience
I hold accreditation status with the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy- evidencing of high standard of competence and ethical practice) and with the Professional Standards Authority Register - no. 019950
I work in accordance with the BACP Ethical framework for Good Practice and I am committed to continuing professional development (CPD) and on-going training - I undertake a minimum of 30 hours CPD per year in order to maintain my Accreditation status and I am fully insured.
Counselling for Depression (CfD) Supervisor (2018) - Metanoia Institute, London. Endorsed by BACP.
Counselling for Depression -CfD (2015) - Metanoia Institute, London. Post qualifying, specialist therapy, endorsed by BACP and recognised by NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence)
- BACP Accreditation Status (continuous since 2009)
- Post Qualifying Diploma in Counselling Children and Adolescents (2009) - Iron Mill Institute, Exeter
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (2006) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Studies (2004) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Skills (2003) - Weymouth
Alongside my established Private Practice, my counselling work has included;
- Counselling in NHS Primary Care (IAPT) (10 yrs) (High Intensity, Senior Counsellor)
- Counselling for Depression (CfD)
- Local Business
- National Agencies & Charity Organisations
- RUSS (Trauma - Road User Support Service)
- Further Education (Senior Counsellor) Weymouth College, Budmouth College
- Higher Education Bournemouth University
- Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP’s)
- Women’s Refuge (4yrs) - Domestic Abuse
- GP Surgeries (10 yrs) - Dorchester Road Surgery, Royal Crescent Surgery, Littlemoor Health Centre, Weymouth
- Counselling Supervisor for CfD counsellors and Humanistic counsellors with a Person Centred, Experiential core practice.
In addition to my counselling work, I have lead 'Pattern Changing' personal development courses for women who have experienced Domestic Abuse - specialist training with Dorset County Council & BCHA.
Previous to my career as a counsellor, I held a portfolio lead position in The Dorset Youth & Community Service. I managed a county-wide team providing 1:1 mentoring and coaching for 18-24 yr olds and I designed and facilitated a personal and social development project for young people in further education - Children's Services, Dorset County Council (2005-2010)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Relationship issues, affairs and betrayals, separation and divorce, low self-confidence, work related issues.
Full website at www.sharon-nicholson.com
Photos & videos
Fees can often vary between counsellors and this can be due to a number of factors, including; Qualifications and experience, Registration /Accreditation status, additional post-qualifying specialisms, length of session - a standard therapeutic hour is often only 50 minutes.
- My session fee is £50 per full hour
★ Sessions before midday are currently being offered at the discounted price of £45 per full hour.
- Through my work with IAPT, I appreciate that NHS waiting times for counselling can be very lengthy. With this in mind, I offer a limited number of reduced fee sessions - please feel free to ask
- If you have been referred through your workplace, I will invoice your employer directly
- If you are an employer or represent an agency seeking counselling support for your staff or service users, please enquire for further information regarding my terms.
- Sessions are by appointment only
- Most clients attend sessions weekly in order for counselling to be most effective.
- There is free parking available.
For further information about myself and my work, please see my full website and Blog -
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - Daytime and evening appointments offered depending upon availability.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|