Sharon Nicholson, Registered MBACP Accred - Adv. Dip. Therapeutic Counselling
Hello. My name is Sharon Nicholson and I run a tranquil harbourside practice in the coastal town of Weymouth, Dorset.
I am passionate about my work and through non-judgemental and compassionate counselling, I work with you to improve the quality of your life.
Just some of the benefits of counselling
- Clearer sense of identity
- Greater sense of personal fulfilment and purpose
- Improved communications
- Reduced Anxiety
- Reduced stress
- Improved sleep
- Increased self-belief
- Learn how to say 'no'
- 'Tools' & resources for life
We all experience difficult times in our lives and in our relationships, and sometimes we can end up feeling overwhelmed, lost, or with a sense that we are treading water or going around in circles.This can be a potentially frustrating and sometimes lonely place.
If this sounds familiar to you, or you would like to gain some deeper understanding about yourself and your patterns of relating, I can help you to make sense of your experiences, and to cope with what is happening for you.
Developing self-compassion and addressing self-criticism are core within my therapeutic work.
I am particularly interested in working with people who feel stuck, conflicted or at a crossroads in life
I have been working as a counsellor for the last 12 years, and regularly help people experiencing;
- Relationship issues
- Unresolved Trauma
- Adjustment difficulties after significant life events
- A general sense of dissatisfaction, unrest or feeling sad
Counselling is an investment in yourself as the resources you gain and the changes you can make can be life-long. I suggest that you choose a counsellor who you are drawn to, and who has the qualifications and training appropriate for your needs.
People come to see me for many different reasons. Having someone trained to hear what is really happening for you can be a life-changing and empowering experience.
Some of the many issues I have helped people with are: bereavement, loss, depression, anxiety, stress, relationship issues, anger, mid-life experience, feelings of guilt or shame, childhood sexual abuse, domestic abuse, low self-esteem, work related stress, coping with change...
Professionally trained in London and the South West, I work with people from across Dorset and the surrounding counties. I established my Private Practice in 2007, and alongside this, I worked as a High Intensity Counsellor in the NHS for 10 years.
I trained and specialised in Counselling for Depression (CfD) during my work with the NHS, and subsequently qualified as both a Counselling for Depression Practitioner and Supervisor. I am listed as a CfD Supervisor with the Metanoia Institute, London, and I continue to offer supervision to CfD counsellors and those who have a Person-Centred Experiential practice.
Sessions are held in a warm and welcoming space created for your comfort.
The harbourside environment is an added bonus for anyone wanting to take a therapeutic stroll before or after their session.
My practice is well-respected locally and I receive regular referrals and recommendations from professionals, local business, and others who have grown to know my work.
How I work
I recognise that it can take courage to make that initial contact and I offer you a warm and friendly space to come to talk through what is happening for you. I aim to make the process of counselling as rewarding as possible for you, and I focus on helping you to gain maximum therapeutic benefit at your pace.
Counselling gives us the chance to explore our experiences, and to have someone bear witness to what is happening for us can be a transformative and empowering process. Understanding the stories we tell ourselves about these experiences can help us to make sense of how we view ourselves.
Your experiences do not define who you are
My core model approach is Person-Centred. My training allows me to use different models of therapy to best suit your individual needs - There is no 'one size fits all' as we are all unique.
There is no obligation to continue with sessions after our initial meeting, and I will help you to find an alternative therapist if I'm not the right person for you.
I believe in creating space for ourselves in order to manage the pressures of our busy, day-to-day lives. The challenge is making ourselves a priority.
Through both my own life experiences, and through helping others, I've come to greatly appreciate the true value of self-care - we can often feel an inner-conflict around giving ourselves permission to attend to our own needs. Sometimes that can be something as simple as allowing ourselves a break to listen to our favourite track or stopping for a cup of coffee (hot chocolate for me), and sometimes it can be more complex - even the simple stuff is not necessarily easy.
I believe that our lives can be much richer when we are connected to a sense of meaning and purpose. We can feel lost when we become disconnected from ourselves and what really matters to us.
I feel very privileged to be doing the work that I have a passion for. I have had some excellent training and I enjoy sharing my experience and learning to help others to make a positive difference to their lives.
These values strongly inform my professional practice and consequently what I am able to share with you through my therapeutic work
Life can be great and life can be cruel. Making sense of things is not always easy and having some support to work things out is not only possible, but perfectly ok.
Unsure about counselling? Feel free to contact me to talk things through.
**For testimonials, my blog, and more about my work, please click to my website www.sharon-nicholson.com **
Training, qualifications & experience
I am registered with the Professional Standards Authority Register no. 019950 This register only lists therapists who have demonstrated high professional standards. It is for the benefit of the public, so that you can choose a counsellor who has been independently assessed and approved.
- Certificate in Essential Supervision Skills (2018)- British Psychological Society Approved (BPS)
- Counselling for Depression (CfD) Supervisor (2018) - Metanoia Institute, London
- Counselling for Depression -CfD (2015) - Metanoia Institute, London
- BACP Accreditation Status (continuous since 2009)
- Post Qualifying Diploma in Counselling Children and Adolescents (2009) - Iron Mill Institute, Exeter
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (2006) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Studies (2004) - Weymouth
- Certificate Counselling Skills (2003) - Weymouth
I work in accordance with the BACP Ethical framework for Good Practice and I am committed to continuing professional development (CPD) and on-going training - I undertake a minimum of 30 hours CPD per year in order to maintain my Accreditation status.
My additional CPD training has been extensive over the years, and includes;
- Child Sexual Abuse - Hope for Healing
- Unravelling the Mystery of Memory in the Treatment of Trauma
- Asperger's Syndrome Enhanced Skills Training
- Trauma and the Body: Dissociation & Somatisation
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Bereavement by Suicide
- Working with issues of Low Self-Esteem
- Understanding Your Eating
- Metaphors & Rituals as expression in Dissociative Eating
- Surviving Childhood Abuse & Parenting
Alongside my established Private Practice, my counselling work has included;
- Counselling in NHS Primary Care (IAPT) (10 yrs) (High Intensity, Senior Counsellor)
- GP Surgeries - Dorchester Road Surgery, Royal Crescent Surgery, Littlemoor Health Centre, Weymouth
- Counselling for Depression (CfD)
- Professional Help - Bereavement counselling
- Local Business - Counselling for employees
- National Agencies & Charity Organisations
- RUSS (Trauma - Road User Support Service)
- Further Education (Senior Counsellor) Weymouth College, Budmouth College
- Higher Education Bournemouth University - Counselling for students
- Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP’s) Counselling for employees
- Women’s Refuge (4yrs) - Domestic Abuse Counselling
- Counselling Supervisor for CfD counsellors and Humanistic counsellors with a Person-Centred, Experiential, core practice.
In addition to my counselling work, I have lead 'Pattern Changing' personal development courses for women who have experienced Domestic Abuse - specialist training with Dorset County Council & BCHA.
Previous to my career as a counsellor, I held a portfolio lead position in The Dorset Youth & Community Service. I managed a county-wide team providing supervision to youth workers, and 1:1 mentoring and coaching for 18-24 yr olds.
I designed and facilitated a personal and social development project for young people in further education - Children's Services, Dorset County Council (2005-2010)
I am fully insured and hold an enhanced DBS certificate.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Relationship issues, affairs and betrayals, separation and divorce, low self-confidence, work related issues.
Full website at www.sharon-nicholson.com
Photos & videos
Fees can often vary between counsellors and this can be due to a number of factors, including; Qualifications and experience, Registration /Accreditation status, additional post-qualifying specialisms
- My session fee is £50
- If you are unable to afford my full fee, I offer a limited number of places in my practice with reduced fee sessions - please feel free to ask
I respond to all counselling enquiries so please check your junk/spam folders if you haven't received a reply to your email within 48 hours
- Sessions are offered on a weekly basis in order for counselling to be most effective.
- I offer short-term or long-term counselling
- I am DBS checked
- I hold Professional Indemnity Insurance
"Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know" - Pema Chödrön
For further information about myself and my work, please see my full website and Blog -
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime appointments offered
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|