Selena Doggett-Jones (Relationship/Psychosexual Therapist, COSRT accred, MBACP)
Most people experience anxiety about their relationships and sex at some time in their lives. Relationship therapy offers the opportunity to discuss your concerns with a therapist specially trained in this area of work in a safe, supportive and confidential environment. I have also worked for many years as a clinical nurse specialist in sexual and reproductive health. Please also see my website www.highgatetherapy.co.uk
I specialise in therapy for problems with relationships, sex and intimacy. These might be due to, among other reasons, illness, anxiety, sexual function, pain during sex, cultural and religious differences, trauma, gender identity or sexual orientation, sexual compulsivity, bereavement, infertility and disability. I have a very broad experience working with a very diverse population in large inner city NHS sexual health clinics, NHS psychosexual services and in private practice. I find it very rewarding to be able to facilitate positive change in people’s relationships and intimate lives. It is a creative and dynamic process and I often feel very touched and privileged to have clients feel confident and safe enough to share their most private thoughts and anxieties with me.
I offer all potential clients a free 10 minute consultation over the phone.
I can also travel to see clients if illness or disability makes it difficult for them to travel, subject to availability.
Some of the concerns people bring maybe related to:
- Relationship problems
- Painful sex and/or difficulties with penetration
- Difficulties with getting or maintaining erections
- Premature or delayed ejaculation
- Loss of interest or enjoyment in sex
- Difficulty in reaching climax
- Problematic sexual behaviour
- Problems associated with menopause
- Difficulties related to disability, chronic disease, accidents, surgery, cancer treatment and skin conditions
- Difficulties in relationship after diagnosis of a terminal illness
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Conflicting feelings and/or fear of pregnancy
- Gender identity and sexuality
- Cultural and religious influences
- Concerns about personal sexual practice or those of partner(s)
- Lack of knowledge about sex
- Kink friendly
If you are currently in a relationship you will be encouraged to attend sessions with your partner because sexual and relationship difficulties rarely 'belong' to one partner or the other. If you don't have a current partner or they don't want to attend appointments it can also be very useful to work on your own. It may also be that you would prefer to see a therapist on your own.
Relationship therapy and psychosexual therapy are both talking therapies but you may be asked to practise some helpful practical techniques in the privacy of your own home.
Sessions are weekly or twice monthly and work can be short or longer term depending on client needs. Numbers of session are influenced by the pace at which the client feels comfortable to work. I can be flexible for those with irregular work schedules depending on appointment availability.
How To Get Started
Contact me by phone or email to make an appointment for an initial assessment. There is no obligation to continue into therapy. This is an opportunity for me to find out about your concerns and for us to get a sense of whether we make a good fit and what the work we do together might look like.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 2018 Foundation Course. British Infertility Counselling Association. Manchester.
- 2016 Diploma in Transpersonal Couple Counselling and Psychotherapy Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Education, London.
- 2015 Professional Certificate in the use of Mindfulness in Therapy. Mindfulness Institute, London.
- 2014 Diploma (PG level) Clinical Supervision and Consultancy. NAOS Institute, London.
- 2010 PG Dip Relationship Therapy (Psychosexual Therapy) Relate Institute accredited by University of Hull.
- 2006 Advanced Diploma in Woman's Health, Middlesex University.
- 1997 Associate Degree in Applied Science (Nursing) Registered Nurse.
- 1993 BA. New York State University.
2019 current Consultant and module tutor for Relate Professional Certificate in Psychosexual Therapy
2012 - 2017: Manager and Service Provider Psychosexual Service, Whittington Health NHS Foundation Trust
2011 2016: VM tutor, University College, London Medical School.
2009 - 2016: Clinical Nurse Specialist and Psychosexual Therapist CNWL NHS Foundation Trust
Relationship and Psychosexual Therapist accredited by The College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (COSRT)
COSRT accredited supervisor
Registered member British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
Associate member of the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health Care
Member of British Infertility Counselling Association (BICA)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Sexual trauma and abuse.
- Anxiety related to sexual and relationship issues.
- Sexual problems related to illness and disability.
- Concerns around faith, culture,religion and sex.
- Lack of knowledge about sexual function, anatomy and physiology.
- Premarital counselling.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Photos & videos
Fees: Individuals £85 and Couples £110.
I offer a free 10 minute initial phone consultation to all those interested. If you would like to take advantage of this please contact me by email or phone to arrange a convenient time.
My consulting rooms are in:
Mondays Islington N7
Wednesdays Gower St WC1
Saturdays Islington N7
some ad hoc sessions are in Highgate N6
See website for travel details
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
By special arrangement I do travel to people's homes, hospitals, hospices or other suitable locations if they are wheel chair bound or for other reasons are unable to travel or access my consulting rooms.
Please contact me directly for current availability.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training