I am a qualified and experienced relationship/couple and psychosexual therapist with over 25 years experience in working with couples and individuals with relationship issues. I am a very grounded, down to earth, non judgemental professional counsellor who works with you to enable you to see what issues from your past might be creating difficulties for you now, alongside very practical, structured tasks (and homework when necessary) to help you move forward in making your life and relationships the best that they can be. My aim is to help you see the unseen options in your life and have the ability to make informed choices for yourself and your relationships.
I will see you for an initial consultation which lasts 50 minutes (as does subsequent sessions) where we will discuss the issues that are important for you and how I can help you with these.
I see individuals/couples who are having difficulties in their intimate relationships or who are struggling to make intimate relationships.
Relationship Counselling/Couple Therapy is a chance to speak to someone who is not a family/friend (who often have their own views) about what is concerning you. If you are in a relationship you can discuss, together or individually, what you bring to the relationship, how your background affects who you are and what you contribute to the relationship. We can explore together how you can begin to make changes in your relationship. My role is not to "steer" you in any particular direction regarding your relationship but to help you decide how to shape your future.
As a relationship and psychosexual therapist I will help you to, for example and depending on your situation,
- improve a good relationship especially pre-commitment/marriage
- support and help you with any difficulties in your sexual life as an individual or as a couple.
- communicate better (enabling you both to find ways to say what you want and need)
- stop arguments that seem to have no resolution
- recover from an affair or betrayal
- revive your love if there is a lack of passion/loss of intimacy
- improve your feelings of emotional distress/being overwhelmed about your relationship
- make choices and decisions about yourself, your partner and your relationship
- find the right partner
- consider separation/divorce issues (helping your to think about yourselves and your children)
- understand any fertility problems, if you are considering/not sure about having children or have problems with your parenting of your children
- re-connect and make changes if mental or physical illness, including cancer, is affecting your relationship
- understand and make changes if childhood or adult abuse issues are affecting your relationship
After your initial consultation you can make a decision about ongoing counselling which is usually weekly at the same time each week but this can be flexible for with unusual working or lifestyle patterns with discussion.
I will see you for face to face, telephone and online counselling and by Skype.
Training, qualifications & experience
As a qualified and experienced relationship counsellor/couple/psychosexual therapist I have:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Couple/Relationship Counselling and Therapy
- Relate Professional Certificate in Psychosexual Therapy
- Certificate in Client Centred Counselling
- Certificate in Solution Focussed Therapy
- Certificate in Systemic Family Therapy
- Diploma in Hypnotherapy
- Master in NLP/Life Coaching
- Emotionally Focussed Couple Therapy
- Certificate in Online and Telephone Counselling
- Certificate in Couples and Sex
- Introduction to CBT
- Certificate in Counselling with People with Cancer
- BA (Hons) App Soc Studies with CQSW
My initial training in counselling was a psychodynamic couple and individual therapy. I trained and worked for London Marriage Guidance Council for 8 years and then have been in a busy private practice as a Couple Counsellor/Psychosexual Therapist since 2003 in Central and South London and more recently in Coulsdon, Surrey. Whilst in private practice I have worked a as a couple counsellor for Relate (as a practitioner working under licence) for 10 years and in the Croydon Relate offices and in London Bridge.
I have undertaken groupwork and training with couples in private practice and for Relate. I have undertaken group supervision of counselling teachers. I run online courses on relationship issues.
I am the couple and family relationship counsellor for the South East Cancer Help Centre. I have also worked as a counsellor and trainer for a GP surgery in SW London supporting patients with issues around their relationships, stress, sleep issues, confidence/self-esteem and healthy eating.
I have been a senior/visiting lecturer/student tutor in counselling/therapy at a number of London universities working with students from entry level to Masters degree level in counselling for over 10 years.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
£55 (daytime)/£65 (evening) per session. There may be concessions available depending on your personal circumstances (usually for trainee counsellors and those on a low income/unwaged). Please feel free to enquire.
Daytime - Monday and Tuesday Evening - Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
,I am a registered member of the BACP (British Association of Cousenlling and Psychotherapy) and fully abide by their ethics.
I have regular supervision of my work with a qualified and experienced supervisor and attend workshops, seminars and conferences as part of my ongoing professional development.