Samantha McDonagh - MBACP Reg Counsellor & Psychotherapist.
I am a BACP Registered Counsellor and Psychotherapist; with over 25 years experience of working in the field of Human relationships; working with people aged from 2 to 102 in various settings including children & adults with learning and or physical disability.
I offer counselling, psychotherapy with the opportunity to work in a container of Mindfulness and Compassion, when helpful.
We can work together short, mid or long term, depending on what is needed and agreed with you.
I have trained in and work with complex Trauma and Loss.
I am experienced in working with:
- Depression & Anxiety
- Emotional/Psychological/Physical & Sexual Abuse
- Loss and Bereavement
- Body & Gender issues
- Substance use/abuse/dependency issues
- Self Harm
- Personality Disorders
- Teenagers and Young Adults
- Trauma (in a Compassion Focused way, with the aim of alleviating suffering, by supporting recovery and transformation in mind & body)
I work in private practice in Worthing and have worked at Worthing Counselling Centre, as part of a team of staff counsellors providing counselling and therapy to general public, local organisations, and contracts for local companies (EAP). I was part of the Senior Counselling Team, carrying out assessments and working on all EAP contracts. I also provided CPD for Staff in the Form of Mindfulness Workshops, and MBSR Courses.
I can provide a safe, confidential, non-judgemental, accepting & creative environment in which you can feel heard, seen and understood.
In this kind of setting you may feel more able to explore thoughts, feelings and issues that feel important to you. This can support you to identify the changes you may want to make and how it is possible to move forward.
I believe that talking to a person who is impartial can support you to make autonomous decisions, and is a fundamental part of this process of change and growth.
Some of the reasons people choose to come to counselling/therapy include:
- A sense of being caught in self-defeating patterns of behaviour
- A general sense of dissatisfaction with life that they want to understand
- A desire to increase self-understanding and self-awareness
- A wish to understand and improve their relationships with others
- A need to work on specific issues/experiences (past or present) that may be affecting their quality of life
- Physical, emotional or psychological ill health that is affecting their quality of life (e.g. chronic health condition, loneliness, depression/anxiety)
- A desire to live life more creatively in order to fulfil more of their potential
- An urge for personal growth and self-development
In addition I offer Professional Coaching and am a Mindfulness Practitioner & Certified Mindfulness Teacher, working 1-2-1, with couples or small groups in my private work space and in a Community Setting for larger groups. I also offer introductory courses, Silent Retreat Days and Deepening Practice courses.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma (PG) - Integrative Counselling & Therapy (2008) Northbrook College/Brighton University
- TA101 - 2007
- OCR Counselling Skills - 1998
- Dr. Bessel A. van der Kolk’s Trauma Treatment Mastery Course 2020
- ACFT -Diploma in Awareness Coaching (Mindfulness Coaching) London Meditation - Accredited Member of UK Mindfulness Teacher Training organisation Network. Dec 2015
- MiSP - Mindfulness in Schools Project Certified to Teach .b Mindfulness Curriculum - Young people aged 11-18 - 2016
- Oxford Mindfulness Summer School Programme - 2016
- Centre For Mindfulness Research & Practice, Bangor University - Mindfulness Network Org UK
- Teacher Training Level 1 -2016 - MBSR/MBCT
- MBSR Specialist Teacher Training - 2016
- Inquiry Workshop - Mindfulness Teacher Training - 2017
- Mindfulness Based Compassionate Living foundation - 2017
- Mindfulness Based Compassionate Living - Teacher Training - 2018
- Teacher Training Level 2 - 2019 MBSR/MBCT
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Concessions offered for
Individual Counselling/Psychotherapy/Mindfulness Sessions: As of 01/06/21
- Initial contact (up to 30 mins) - No charge
- Initial Consultation (1 hour) - £50
- Counselling/Psychotherapy (1 hour) - £45
- Professional Coaching (1 hour) - £75
- Professional Coaching (1.5 hours) - £115
- Mindfulness 1-2-1: (1 hour) - £45
Courses for Individuals (1-2-1):
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy
- Mindfulness Based Compassionate Living course
Course duration is 8 sessions of 1 hour - £40 per session.
For couples and small groups - please contact to discuss.
Am, pm & evenings, possible. Please contact me to discuss availability.
- I am fully insured and engage in Professional supervision for both Counselling/Psychotherapy & Mindfulness Teaching.
- I abide by the UK Mindfulness Teacher Training Organisational Network's Good Practice Guidelines.
- I hold an Enhanced DBS certificate.
- I engage in regular CPD training and support Worthing Counselling Centre with staff wellness training.
- I attend regular personal Mindfulness Retreats.