Ruth Murtagh- Relationship Counselling for Couples and Individuals: MA, MBACP
Hello, I’m Ruth.
I’m sorry, my caseload is currently full and I’m not taking on any new clients for the time being. Thank you for your interest and good luck in your search.
If you’re reading this, you may be feeling unhappy or wanting your relationship to be different.
You may be in a couple, wondering if you can rediscover the love you once had with your partner, or to find a different way forward.
You may be an individual, trying to cope with the loss of a relationship, or wanting to be able to find lasting love.
Perhaps there are relationships with your children or wider family, with friends or at work that upset you; or you are unhappy with your own behaviour.
If you long for a healthy relationship that doesn’t leave you feeling hurt, you are not alone. Many individuals and couples struggle with difficulties which can bring pain: leaving them feeling exhausted and stressed. After all, we’re not given a relationship manual when we’re born.
Here are some of the reasons why couples or individuals come for relationship counselling:
- Feeling stuck in a cycle of bickering and not sorting the issues out.
- Feeling alone whether you’re in or out of a relationship
- Relationship issues causing an unsatisfying sex-life
- Feeling that you/ your partner don’t meet each-others’ needs
- Finding it hard to forget the pain you or your partner have experienced earlier in your relationship
- Feeling insecure with your partner; afraid they might want to leave you
- Thinking that there are too many demands made of you, or that you're not listened to
- One or both of you lack trust in the other, or feel criticised
- Having adopted children and needing some relationship support for yourselves as a couple
Relationship counselling provides you with a safe, confidential space to talk with your partner in a supportive, non-judgmental environment. It can support you to:
- Develop closeness, trust and intimacy within an emotionally safe relationship with your partner
- Resolve conflict more helpfully and bring you closer to your partner
- Understand your own and your partner’s needs better, and how they can be met
- Create a more relaxed and satisfying sex-life
- Be happier with yourself, and improve relationships with family, friends, or at work.
All couples or individuals are welcome- any age, culture, religion, LGBTQI+ or physical ability.
I can support you if you’re a parent:
- Wanting to improve your relationships with your children
- Finding the behaviour of your children difficult to understand or manage
- Finding that the issues with your children are impacting on you as a couple and you want to create a more united approach
- Wanting more confidence with parenting your children
You don’t have to deal with difficult and painful issues alone. I can support you to develop the relationship that you want.
I will listen carefully and will not judge you. I do not take sides.
I have 30 years’ experience working in the caring professions as a Teacher, Art Therapist and Relationship Therapist at Relate and in Private practice. I work inclusively, embracing the difference and diversity of all people.
I am genuinely passionate about helping couples and individuals move out of destructive and painful patterns of relating with each other. I can help you to deal with some of the difficult issues that you may be dealing with right now.
I really care about all of my clients and tailor my approach to suit each person’s/ couple’s unique needs.
I do understand that it can be daunting making that first contact, but in some ways, that's the hardest bit. You may wish to have one session, a few, or leave it open. It's up to you.
Feel free to:
- Text me on 07936 705 515
- Call and leave a message on 07936 705 515, or
- Email me using the buttons at the top or bottom of my profile.
I will get back to you within 1-2 days and arrange to call you for a free 15 minute chat, so that you can tell me a bit about your issues and then you can decide if you'd like to meet me for a session.
Relate -Register of Counsellors
Member of The Association of Family Therapists
Training, qualifications & experience
These are my principal qualifications:
- MA (Relationship Therapy) with Distinction, (Relate Institute, University of Hull, 2015).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Relationship Therapy, (Relate Institute, University of Hull).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Art Therapy, (University of Hertfordshire, 1998)
- Introduction to Counselling, (Birkbeck College, London, 1993)
- B.Ed. (Hons), University of Nottingham Trent, 1988.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Child related issues
- Family issues
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Relationship issues
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Helping distressed and unhappy couples re-connect and understand each other.
- Working with individuals to understand their relationship patterns so that they can find a partner that feels right for them.
- Working with individuals who are working through the loss of relationship and finding a way forward.
- Supporting parents to have more positive relationships with their children.
Per hour: Daytime/ Evenings
£50- Couples/ Individuals (One Hour)
£45- Lower income
Free roadside parking.
Bus routes 2 and 12 to and from Leeds centre run regularly.
I have a wheelchair accessible, lovely counselling room with a separate entrance. It is purpose built and discreetly situated on a peaceful road.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer daytime and evening appointments.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|