Olwen Wade-Jones BSc (Hons), MCSP, UKCP, FPC
Welcome to my profile.
I would like to tell you a little about myself, my approach and my practice to help you decide if you might find it helpful to work with me as a therapist.
My years working as a counsellor and psychotherapist in London and Tunbridge Wells have provided me with a broad spectrum of experience. My earlier work as a physiotherapist in hospitals, schools and the community and latterly as a Public Health Specialist for South East London Health Services have given me the breadth of life experience on which my practice is based. Working as a Bereavement Support Worker for Kent CRUSE Bereavement Service added to this experience.
As part of my practice, I am a nominated therapist for students training to be counsellors with the local member centre of The National Counselling Network (NCN) whose aim is offer high quality professional counselling for local communities. In this context I also work with psychology and psychotherapy students.
You may wonder if ‘just talking’ can really resolve longstanding anxiety, stress and unhappiness. My experience is that it can. Developing personal insight and better understanding can change the way we think about ourselves, the way we experience life and the relationships we have with others. It can also allow us to come to terms with loss and a whole variety of other experiences.
My approach although essentially 'psychodynamic' is informed by other ways of thinking and working including those based on cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), mindfulness, attachment and mentalisation based theory.
A 'psychodynamic' approach is based on the understanding that how we feel in the present is linked not only to our own individual and unique psyche (our mind) but also, either knowingly or un-knowingly, to earlier experiences. Some of these experiences may seem relatively unimportant and we may never have thought about how they might affect us and the pattern of our relationships with others.
My practice is based in the centre of Tunbridge Wells, within easy travelling distance of Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and the surrounding areas of Kent and East Sussex. The practice offers a quiet, comfortable, confidential environment situated a short 8 -10 minute walk from Tunbridge Wells railway station and local bus routes with private off-road parking.
Training, qualifications & experience
Professional qualifications and training
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy Theory and Practice (Merit) WPF Therapy
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling , WPF Therapy
- CRUSE Bereavement Support Training Programme
- Graduate Diploma in the Theory and Practice of Physiotherapy, The Middlesex Hospital London
- BSc (Hons) Health Studies, University of Greenwich
- Supervisory Skills Training, British Psychotherapy Foundation (BPF)
- Member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) Reg. number 201116400
- Member of the Foundation for Psychotherapy and Counselling (FPC) Reg. number 8120
- Member of the Council for Psychoanalysis and Jungian Analysis (CPJA)
I am eligible to register with The British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC)
My practice accords to the Ethical Principles and Code of Professional Conduct of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
£50 for an initial consultation for which I like to allow an hour to an hour and a quarter
£50 for each subsequent 50 minute session.
Please feel free to contact me through my website (see above) or telephone with any questions you might have or to arrange an initial consultation.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|