Michael Coleman MBACP. Individuals & Couples
Welcome to this page which I hope you find informative and helpful.
I imagine, as you are looking at these profiles, that possibly you are currently struggling with issues or events in your life, maybe current difficulties or past memories? Possibly struggling with feelings such as depression, anxiety, fear, anger or other feelings which are causing a negative effect on your well-being?
Please accept this introduction to counselling in general and more specifically an introduction to my thoughts and beliefs on the opportunities counselling therapy offer.
From experience I belief that the single most important factor in achieving a successful outcome is the the therapeutic relationship between client and therapist.
For my part, my principle concern is you, your emotional and psychological well being and how I might best support you through all that you are currently experiencing.
I will work with you to establish a nurturing, trusting and supportive relationship where you are heard and understood. Offering you a safe, confidential and non-judgemental environment with space and time to allow sensitive attention to your needs, where you are able to freely explore your issues while being valued, appreciated and understood, where you can be yourself.
We would work together at your pace, to help clarify your feelings and thoughts, so that you may gain a clearer understanding and insight of the person you are, understand better how you became this person and how you may want to move forward to realising your own potential to live a more fulfilling and satisfying life.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and Qualifications:
- Diploma in Integrative Counselling, accreditated by the BACP. Inter-Psyche Centre for Counselling & Psychotherapy.
- Diploma in High intensity CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy). The Association for Psychological Therapies, Leicester.
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitiation & Reprocessing), Level1, intermediate and level 2. EMDR - Europe Association and EMDR International association.
- Motivational Interviewing. KCA
- Certificate in Principle Theories of Counselling, the Centre for Counselling, Training and Development, London.
- Certificate in Systemic Family Therapy Training. Tavistock clinic, London
- Certificate in Couples Counselling.
In addition I invest between 30 and 40 hours per year on continued professional development to maintain and broaden my skills and interests through workshops and confrences which have included:
- Working with Diversity.
- Dream work.
- Loss and Bereavement.
- Learning from Life.
- Working with anger.
- Humour in the counselling.
- Transactional Analysis in practice.
- Sexual Abuse & Trauma.
- Working with Shame
- Life at the Edge, an exploration of Borderline Personality Disorder.
I am a Member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) and am currently working towards accreditation.
I believe that my professional training along with my own extensive life experiences has given me significant professional and personal strengths to work sensitively and confidently with a wide range of presenting issues or difficulties.
As a counsellor I have worked for the past thirteen years, for Substance Misuse Charities, with individuals, couples and families who are afflicted by various forms of addictions including alcohol, illicit and prescribed drugs.
And I have been in private practice for 2 years, working with individuals and couples who have presented with varied and complex issues.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Finding the right person to work with, is a most important 1st step and I would encourage clients to take the time to meet several counsellors before making a decision.
- £40 for individual sessions of 50 minutes
- £60 for couples session of 60 minutes
- £50 for EMDR sessions of a minimum of 60 minutes
I offer concessions to students, unemployed and pensioners.
I seek to offer sessions that are mutually convenient and accordingly offer day-time, evening and week-end sessions.
Relationship counselling aims to support couples to understand and resolve conflicts and improve their relationship. Relationship counselling can give couples the tools to better communicate, negotiate differences, problem solve and even argue in a healthier way.
Relationship counselling can be short term, you may need only a few sessions to help you weather a crisis. Or you may need more long term attention, particularly if your relationship has greatly deteriorated.
Infidelity, illness, , sex, anger, communication problems can all contribute to distress in marriages or other relationships. Couples Counselling can help resolve conflicts and heal wounds. It can help rebuild your relationship. Or... help you decide that you may both be better off by separating.
Psychological trauma can occur following a severely distressing event or series of events that completely overwhelm a person's ability to cope or integrate the ideas and emotions involved in the experience(s).
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can develop after exposure to any event that involves actual or threatened death or serious physical injury to the person or another and that that person felt intense fear.
Common symptoms that can define Trauma and PTSD are:
- Repeated intrusive distressing memories of the event(s).
- 'Flashbacks' or nightmares, a sense of reliving or re-experiencing the event(s) which can be very distressing and disorientating.
- Physical reactions such as shaking, perspiration and rapid heart beat.
Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
EMDR is a rapidly expanding trauma therapy that is approved by NICE (National Institute for health and Clinical Excellence) as a recommended treatment for PTSD following its' success in working with trauma victims (eg; road traffic accidents, sexual, physical or emotional abuse, victims of violent crime).
EMDR is now used to work with with a broader spectrum of issues including anxiety (phobias, panic attacks, OCD) to experiences such as grief, pain and depression.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Current availability includes week day evenings and mornings on Saturdays and Sundays. I seek to work with clients to accommodate their availability.
Types of client