Melanie Jane Hickling MBACP Reg. BA. Humanistic Therapeutic Counsellor
I am a person centred counsellor and I offer a genuine therapeutic relationship in a safe, confidential and supportive therapeutic environment where you can express anything that is on your mind. I have been working as a voluntary counsellor for a charity in Nottingham and I continue to do my voluntary work alongside my private practice. I have gained a lot of experience working with a variety of presenting issues including clients experiencing depression, anxiety, suicidal feelings and thoughts, obsessive compulsive disorder, survivors of suicide attempts, self-injury, stress, post-traumatic stress disorder, childhood abuse (male and female), rape and sexual assault (male and female), grief, loss and bereavement. I have been involved in counselling since 2008. I trained at The University of Nottingham and I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I am working towards accreditation. My practice is guided by the BACP Code of Conduct and Ethics.
To find out more about what person centred counselling involves: http://www.bapca.org.uk/about/what-is-it.html
Working with me can provide you with:
- A safe and confidential space to explore what you are thinking and feeling.
- A genuine therapeutic relationship based on trust, encouragement and support.
- A counsellor who listens with acceptance and understanding rather than judgement and instruction.
- A time and space where there are no conditions placed on your worth as a human being
- A time and space to feel and talk about what you are thinking and feeling.
- A time and space where you can ‘be’.
- The opportunity to work at your own pace and explore material that is important to you
- A time and space for self-reflection, self-awareness and self-discovery.
- A time and space where you can experience a healing process .
- Empowerment: discovery of your own solutions leading to trust in yourself and your own ability to make decisions and choose what is right for you.
- A time and space where you can explore any personal traumas.
- An understanding of who you are, your thoughts reactions and experiences.
"Thank you so much Mel for all your patience at what for me was such a difficult time"
"I have found you to be very gentle and supportive, you have enabled me to share my pain, thank you"
Training, qualifications & experience
ABC Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Concepts - The Sherwood Institute
ABC Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills - Castle College
BA (Hons) Humanistic Counselling Practice - The University of Nottingham
BACP Certificate of Proficiency
I am currently undertaking a Masters Degree in Trauma Studies.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have experience working with a variety of presenting issues including:
- Suicidal feelings and thoughts
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Survivors of suicide attempts
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Childhood abuse (male and female)
- Rape and sexual assault
- Grief, loss and bereavement
- Personal development
£25 for our first meeting and £40.00 per 50 minute session after.
I work with individual clients over the age of 18.
Continuing Professional Development
Grief and Loss
Working with Self-Harm
Secondary Traumatization of the Counsellor
Working in a Person-Centred Way with other theory thoughts
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
Honour Abuse and Asylum
Working with Perpetrators of Domestic Abuse
Deliberate Self Harm / Empowerment
Issues and Perspectives around Sexual Minority Clients
Animal Assisted Therapy
Working with Carers
Mental Health First Aid
Privacy Statement: In line with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), any personal information you send via this website, will only be used in order for me to contact you. Your personal details will not be retained for any other purpose, nor will they be shared with any other organisation. By contacting me you are agreeing to me holding your information for the purpose of contacting you only.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Please make contact for available times.
Types of client