Melanie Charnock MSc, DiP, DPC (UKCP registered)
I offer bespoke therapeutic services from my private practice based in Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne to both individuals and couples. I offer short-term, medium-term and long-term therapy sessions lasting 50 minutes.
- Getting Started
In the first instance you can call or email me to set up an initial session, where we will talk about what you want to get from therapy. If you are happy to continue I will set up a second session and arrange to see you weekly, fortnightly or monthly depending on what we decide will work for you.
- How I work
My core training is Transactional Analysis and I use an integrative relational approach. I am guided by the needs of my clients. I walk alongside you on your journey, using a variety of therapeutic approaches including, gestalt therapy, guided imagery, metaphor, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and sand tray therapy. Or we might use other creative methods to explore feelings which can be difficult to describe.
You are an equal partner in the therapy process and the more motivated you are to participate in the work we do together, the more likely you are to benefit. I will encourage you to explore your circumstances, thoughts and feelings and help you to make sense of them, so that you are better able to take responsibility for your actions. I also aim to help you identify and access the inner and external resources you have available to you; develop your problem-solving skills; recognise the choices you have; and if you desire it, to implement change.
Therapy has been shown to be beneficial in many situations, however it can be challenging, for instance if you are getting in touch with thoughts and feelings that you had previously preferred not to acknowledge. We will work together on what you want from therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
Before I pursued a career in psychotherapy and counselling, I worked for 16 years in a large private company. This personal experience of the pressures facing workforces and the effects that they can have on morale has given me a unique therapeutic perspective.
My areas of expertise are: Bereavement, Post Traumatic Stress (PTSD), low mood, anxiety, dealing with negative thoughts, relationship problems, depression, grief and loss, sleep deprivation, procrastination, self- esteem issues, transgenerational influences and work-related issues.
I have delivered therapy in GP practices in primary health care settings, as well as for third sector counselling services. I am a therapist at the Northern Guild for Psychotherapy and Counselling, seeing private clients. Along with my extensive background in short and long-term individual counselling, I have experience of providing short term therapy to couples.
I have the following qualifications:
- MSc in Integrative Psychotherapy (Northern Guild for Psychotherapy and Counselling affiliated to Newman University, Birmingham)
- PG DiP Integrative Psychotherapy (Northern Guild for Psychotherapy and Counselling)
- DiP Psychotherapy (Northern Guild for Psychotherapy and Counselling)
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Northern Guild for Psychotherapy and Counselling)
- Cert. in Couple Therapy (Northern Guild for Psychotherapy and Counselling)
- Cert. in Supervision Skills (Northern Guild for Psychotherapy and Counselling)
- Working towards a Diploma in Supervision
- Working towards a Certificate in Group Facilitation (The Gestalt Centre, London)
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Couples counselling
£45 per 50 minutes individual therapy session
£60 per 50 minutes couple therapy session
£52 per clinical supervision session
Low cost therapy is available through negotiation with myself.
If you are unable to attend a session without giving 24 hours notice please note,
fees will still be due.
As a registered member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP), I am bound by their professional ethical codes of conduct and have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service DBS Certificate (previously the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB).
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I hold a certificate in supervision which enables me to provide clinical supervision to students and graduates who are working towards accreditation with the BACP and UKCP. .View supervision profile