Dr Maria Falzon
I am an experienced psychodynamic psychotherapist with a practice in Edinburgh. I am registered as a member of the Association of Medical Psychodynamic Psychotherapists and as a Dynamic Interpersonal Therapist with The British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC). I am bound by the BPC’s Code of Professional Conduct and Ethical Principles.
I use a psychodynamic approach – most of how we are as adults is shaped by our early relationships. These relationship patterns are re-experienced in the present, including how we experience the professional relationship with a therapist.
I am interested in helping you understand how you experience your current situation, using our joint reflection about the live professional relationship in the room as well as reflecting on how you relate to other people and how you see yourself.
Sometimes difficult, unfair things happen to us, which leave us overwhelmed and unable to think straight about some areas of our life. Psychodynamic counselling can help in such a situation – talking things over with me, over a few sessions, can identify the triggers and maintaining factors for this state, to help you find a different, freeing perspective.
You might feel that you have more long-standing difficulties. If so, we would consider longer-term psychotherapy to help you experience your life more fully and creatively.
Or, if you have a specific difficulty in how you relate to others that is making you anxious or depressed, you might benefit from DIT, which is a 16-session therapy focusing on a recurrent pattern that you find yourself caught up in.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Worked in Psychiatry in the NHS for over 25 years, including 17 years as a Consultant in General Adult Psychiatry.
- Trained with and taught at The Scottish Institute of Human Relations.
- Accredited practitioner in Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy, a short-term therapy for depression and anxiety.
- Led a team, co-delivered and supervised in an NHS psychotherapy service using Mentalisation-Based Treatment (MBT) for individuals suffering from borderline personality disorder.
- Trained in supervision and reflective practice with the Centre for Supervision and Team Development (London), and with The Balint Society.
- Devised and delivered teaching and group supervision on “Hard-to-Help” patients.
- Co-delivered 11 Mentalising Skills courses across the country as a founder member of MBT Scotland.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Psychoanalytic Council
The British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC) is a professional association, representing the profession of psychoanalytic psychotherapy.
The organisation is itself made up of fourteen member organisations and BPC accredits the trainings of its member organisations. An individual who qualifies from one of these trainings is then eligible for entry into the BPC's register.
BPC registrants are governed by a code of ethics, a policy of continuing professional development, a statement on confidentiality and a complaints procedure. The BPC is a Member Society of the European Federation for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy in the Public Sector (EFPP). Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I also offer reflective practice work and supervision with individuals.
You can reach me by email or via my work mobile. I offer an initial consultation of 90 minutes to consider what kind of therapy might best suit your needs. The fee for this consultation is £97.
Subsequent sessions are for 50 minutes and cost £54.
I am available to respond to enquiries during office hours.
Member of or associated with:
- The General Medical Council
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists
- The British Psychoanalytic Council
- Association for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy in the NHS
- Founder member of Mentalisation-Based Treatment, Scotland
- The Balint Society