Dr Maria Falzon
51/2 Lothian Road
13 Smith's Place
I am an experienced psychodynamic psychotherapist and psychiatrist with a practice in Edinburgh. I am registered as a member of the Association of Medical Psychodynamic Psychotherapists with The British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC). I am bound by the BPC’s Code of Professional Conduct and Ethical Principles.
I use a psychodynamic approach in therapy - most of how we are as adults is shaped by our early relationships. These relationship patterns are re-experienced in the present, including how we experience the professional relationship in therapy.
I am interested in helping you understand your current situation, by reflecting with you on how you see yourself, and how you relate to other people, including me.
Sometimes difficult, unfair things happen to us, which leave us overwhelmed and unable to think straight about some areas of our life. Psychodynamic counselling can help in such a situation - talking things over with me, over a few sessions, can identify the triggers and maintaining factors for this state, so helping you find a different, freeing perspective.
Some people have more long-standing difficulties with relating to others and noticing what is going on in their own mind, leading to a sense of emptiness, or their feelings being ‘all over the place’. These people can benefit from a specific psychodynamic approach called mentalising, which helps to increase awareness of how we feel and think, and how we affect, as well as are affected by, other people.
I also offer a 16-session therapy focussing on depressive or anxiety-related difficulties -Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Worked in Psychiatry for over 27 years, including 17 years as a Consultant in General Adult Psychiatry in the NHS.
- Trained with The Scottish Institute of Human Relations for part of their Adult Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy course.
- Throughout my work as a psychiatrist used psychodynamic skills to understand my patients, and a psychodynamic approach when seeing patients for psychotherapy.
- Co-delivered an NHS psychotherapy service using Mentalisation-Based Therapy for individuals suffering from emotionally unstable / borderline personality disorder.
- Trained in supervision and reflective practice with the Centre for Supervision and Team Development (London), and with The Balint Society.
- Successfully completed the first part of training in Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy, a short-term therapy for depression and anxiety.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Dependent personality disorder
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I also offer individual and group supervision, and reflective practice.
You can reach me by email or via my work mobile. I will contact you to discuss the nature of your enquiry. I offer an initial consultation to consider what kind of therapy might best suit your needs. The fee for this consultation will be £60 - £90.
Regular sessions are for 50 minutes and cost £50.
Member of or registered with:
- The General Medical Council
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists
- The British Psychoanalytic Council
- Mentalisation-Based Treatment Scotland
- Human Development Scotland
- Association for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy in the NHS
- The UK Balint Society
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I can be contacted Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm, and Saturday 10am - 1pm.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|