Liz Turner Counsellor and Psychotherapist for Individuals and Couples Mbacp
- The emotional, mental and physical experience of relationship breakdowns, depression, anger, anxiety, bereavement and trauma can be overwhelming and incapacitating. Often these complex life situations can really feel hopeless. Giving yourself the opportunity to confidentially talk about and process such experiences in a safe, non judgemental therapeutic environment with an experienced counsellor can become the first step towards coming to terms with, managing and changing your life situation and your experience of it.
- I offer solution focused short term therapy and longer term counselling and psychotherapy for individuals and couples experiencing problems in living. I work integratively drawing on a range of theoretical models which inform my work. Together we work to establish a therapeutic relationship based on safety and trust. This relationship enables us together to understand, witness, support and facilitate your exploration of your difficulties in living through the wider lense of your life experiences both present and past.
- Through talking therapy we process together your thoughts, feelings, physical experiences and behaviours. This enables life patterns and themes to be identified and understood in relation to current coping strategies. Individually tailored strategies for change are then established and progressed in session.
- Each session is individually attuned to your immediate therapeutic needs.The initial session incorporates assessment and lasts one hour. In the second session we will jointly decide if working together will best suit your therapeutic needs. Once this is agreed we will meet once a week for one hour within a private therapeutic consulting room at my home or if preferable via the Zoom platform online. Private parking is available.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc (hons) UEA (1995)
- Certificate in Integrative Counselling West Suffolk College 2010 (Distinction)
- FDA Integrative Counselling UCS 2012 (Distinction)
- Level 5 Diploma in Couples and Relationship Counselling 2017-2018 via Relate.
- I am currently training as a supervisor.
- I am currently training as a trauma therapist.
I have over twenty five years of experience in counselling skills work. As an NHS physiotherapist I used counselling skills to work with individuals and families experiencing complex emotional difficulties. This work emphasised to me the foundational importance of mental health for managing every life journey and so I went on to train as a counsellor and psychotherapist.
I have eleven years experience in counselling and psychotherapy including working within a Women's Refuge; Mind; Mentis Tree CIC and Relate. Currently I am working as an individual and couples counsellor in my private practise and also as a teacher in counselling.
I have experience in working with adolescents (16 and over) and adults who have experienced difficulties with the following issues:
- Relationship breakdown,
- Affairs and betrayals,
- Seperation and divorce,
- Anger issues and management,
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Unresolved childhood issues,
- Domestic abuse,
- Sexual abuse,
- Isolation and loneliness,
- Inability to feel,
- Loss and bereavement,
- Marital and relationship difficulties,
- Child rearing difficulties,
- Low self esteem,
- Loss of direction,
- Mid life crisis,
- Self belief and self agency difficulties,
- Assertiveness difficulties,
- Boundary setting,
- Coping with and adapting to change, work based relationship difficulties,
- Low mood,
- Mood swings.
Each and every person will have a uniquely personal experience of the issue that they are facing. Part of my work is to deeply and respectfully understand your unique experience through the therapeutic relationship that we develop together at your pace.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am currently training as an Integrative supervisor and am able to offer supervision at a reduced fee for trained therapists.
My fee is 50 pounds per hour for individuals and 65 pounds per hour for couples. This can be paid by bank transfer, cash or cheque at the end of each appointment. I can offer concessions by arrangement on a case by case basis.
Concessions offered for
I offer daytime and evening appointments by arrangement.
I will return your email with my work mobile number and the times at which you can contact me at your convenience. All messages left on this answer phone will be treated confidentially.
Once the initial appointment is agreed I will post confirmed appointment details and my location with map by post to your home address. This will be sent in a plain envelope for confidentiality.
I adhere to the BACP code of ethics and guidelines for good practice and offer confidentiality according to these guidelines.
My practice is based within my home in a designated therapeutic space in a private consulting room. Access is via external stairs. I am able to offer face to face counselling or online counselling via the Zoom platform depending on your preference.