Ken Barker-Graham (MBACP)
Hi I am Ken.
Life at times can be challenging and when we are not feeling ourselves, everyday issues and stresses can easily become unmanageable. We all need support at some point in our lives and I am here to support you when you feel ready to ask for help.
I have been a counsellor since 2016. As a counsellor I work in an Integrative Person Centred way which means you are the focus of our time together. I will work alongside you, assisting you to explore the issues of main concern.
With extensive experience of supporting clients through Bereavement and Suicide, I understand the complexities of loss and change when someone loses a loved one. Understanding, often it can be hard imagining a future without them. Working together, I will support you to a state of acceptance of your 'new normal'.
Experience supporting members of the LGBTQI community - whether the issues were associated to their status or not, I understand the different pronouns, identities, terminology and subsections that people associate with and the fears and worries that they may have.
I also support clients presenting with many varied different issues and concerns
I have many years experience of working with individuals with learning disabilities, their families and carers.
A safe environment in a quiet office building in Burnley.
Long term and short term therapy. Integrating different counselling techniques when needed.
Late night opening every Wednesday and also Saturday Mornings (I can be flexible on other days too with prior arrangement)
In exceptional circumstances, I can also visit you in a safe environment away from my office (for an increased cost)
Reduced cost for people in the following occupations, Police, Fire, Ambulance and Nursing.
Reduced cost to Students, unemployed and retired (over 65) - (Proof required)
SPECIAL OFFER: for student counsellors having counselling as part of their studies. Pay for all 10 sessions up front and only pay the cost of 9 sessions (£225.00)
Training, qualifications & experience
Experience as a bereavement counsellor at two local hospices. Working with family and friends of the deceased and with patience with life limiting illnesses
Experience as a Children's Counsellor supporting teenagers with their many and varied issues, using creativity to help support our relationship.
Time spent supporting LGBT clients.
Co-facilitated a Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide support group helping individuals explore feelings and thoughts about the suicide of a loved one, helping them realise that they are 'not alone' and that they may have questions they never have answers to.
Plus previously I spent 5 years as a listening volunteer with Samaritans Blackburn
My relevant qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Counselling with Brief Interventions
- Foundation Degree in Counselling with Brief Interventions
- CPCAB Level 4 Certificate In Working Therapeutically with Children
- ABC Level 3 Counselling Skills
- ABC Level 2 Counselling Concepts
- NVQ 3 Promoting Independence of Adults with Disabilities.
- British Sign Language Level 2
- Drug Awareness Studies and their Applications
- Mental Health Awareness
- Emergency First Aid at Work
I have an extensive list of continued professional development courses including:
- (Affordable CPD) Sudden and Traumatic Death
- (PODS) Working with Shame
- (Affordable CPD) Sex, Intimacy and Pornography
- (Affordable CPD) Counselling Gender Variations
- (Mind Matters) Stress Control
- (PODS) Dealing with Distress: Working with Self Harm & Suicide
- (PODS) Child Sexual Abuse: Hope for Healing
- (PODS) Working with DID in Clinical Practice
- (BACP) Working Effectively with Trauma in a Healthcare Setting
- (Place2Be) Safeguarding Children
- (BACP) Certificate of Proficiency
- (KAS Counselling) Introduction to Working with Sexual Diversities
- (Accord) Attachment Workshop
- (SOBS) Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide-Group Management Training
- (CNW) Working Therapeutically with Eating Disorders
- (PODS) Trauma and the Body
- (PODS) Disassociation and DID: The Fundamentals
- (PODS) Working with Relational Trauma
- (PODS) Trauma, Disassociation & Recovery
- (PH) Bereavement Awareness
Online Continued Professional Development:
- (Place2Be) Working with Children with SLCN
- (Place2Be) Working with Children with Special Educational Needs
- (Healthcare Training) Mental Capacity Act 2005
- (College of Policing) Channel General Awareness Module [Prevent]
- (HM Government) Awareness of Forced Marriage V2
- (IDAS) Domestic Abuse Basic Awareness
- (Safeguarding e-Academy) Protecting Children from Sexual Exploitation
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Drag/Cross Dressing
- Asylum Seekers
Photos & videos
The first session will be an assessment of your needs where we will also discuss our contract and fill in the necessary forms needed as part of the counselling process.
Each 50 minute session of 1-1 Counselling is £40 in my office, £45 if I come to you.
Different charges for work on an Employee Assistance Program (details on request)
with discounts offered (see above) and reduced rates for student counsellors.
I look forward to speaking with you soon. Do not hesitate to contact me for any further questions or queries.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Very Basic British Sign Language level 2|
Unfortunately My office is at the top of 2 flight of stairs with no other access.
Wednesdays 8am-7pm Thursday- Friday 8am-6pm and Saturdays 7am-1pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|