Ken Barker-Graham (MBACP)
Hi I am Ken.
Life at times can be challenging and when we are not feeling ourselves, everyday issues and stresses can easily become unmanageable. We all need support at some point in our lives and I am here to support you when you feel ready to ask for help.
I have been a counsellor since 2016. As a counsellor I work in an Integrative Person Centred way which means you are the focus of our time together. I will work alongside you, assisting you to explore the issues of main concern.
With extensive experience of supporting clients through Bereavement and Suicide, I understand the complexities of loss and change when someone loses a loved one. Understanding, often it can be hard imagining a future without them. Working together, I will support you to a state of acceptance of your 'new normal'.
Experience supporting members of the LGBTQI community - whether the issues were associated to their status or not, I understand the different pronouns, identities, terminology and subsections that people associate with and the fears and worries that they may have.
I also support clients presenting with many varied different issues and concerns
I have many years experience of working with individuals with learning disabilities, their families and carers.
Now offering remote counselling via skye/zoom or telephone at slightly reduced costs.
A safe environment in a quiet office building in Burnley.
Long term and short term therapy. Integrating different counselling techniques when needed.
Late night opening every Wednesday and Thursday and also available on Saturday Mornings (I can be flexible on other days too with prior arrangement)
In exceptional circumstances, I can also visit you in a safe environment away from my office (for an increased cost)
Reduced cost for people in the following occupations, Police, Fire, Ambulance Paramedics and Nursing. Support Worker/Carers who are paid and Unpaid Carers.
Reduced cost to Students, unemployed and retired (over 65) - (Proof required)
SPECIAL OFFER: for student counsellors having counselling as part of their studies. Pay for all 10 sessions up front and only pay the cost of 9 sessions (£225.00)
Training, qualifications & experience
I have had my own business since 2019 where I have supported several clients including many who have come via their employees under Employee assist programmes.
I have also volunteered at Cedar House Preston since September 2019 supporting a varied range of clients with varying support needs.
Experience as a bereavement counsellor at two local hospices. Working with family and friends of the deceased and with patience with life limiting illnesses
Experience as a Children's Counsellor supporting teenagers with their many and varied issues, using creativity to help support our relationship.
Time spent supporting LGBT clients at LGBT Foundation in Manchester and my other placements and own business.
Co-facilitated a Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide support group helping individuals explore feelings and thoughts about the suicide of a loved one, helping them realise that they are 'not alone' and that they may have questions they never have answers to.
Plus previously I spent 5 years as a listening volunteer with Samaritans Blackburn
My relevant qualifications include:
- Couples Counselling
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Counselling with Brief Interventions
- Foundation Degree in Counselling with Brief Interventions
- CPCAB Level 4 Certificate In Working Therapeutically with Children
- ABC Level 3 Counselling Skills
- ABC Level 2 Counselling Concepts
- NVQ 3 Promoting Independence of Adults with Disabilities.
- British Sign Language Level 2
- Drug Awareness Studies and their Applications
- Mental Health Awareness
- Emergency First Aid at Work
I have an extensive list of continued professional development courses including:
(PODS) Trauma and the body
(PODS) Working with Suicide and Self Harm
(Cedar House) Gender Variance
(Affordable CPD) BPD, ADHD, PTSD and Me
(Affordable CPD) Sexually Traumatic Events
- (PODS) Working with Shame
- (Affordable CPD) Sex, Intimacy and Pornography
- (Affordable CPD) Counselling Gender Variations
- (Mind Matters) Stress Control
- (PODS) Dealing with Distress: Working with Self Harm & Suicide
- (PODS) Child Sexual Abuse: Hope for Healing
- (PODS) Working with DID in Clinical Practice
- (BACP) Working Effectively with Trauma in a Healthcare Setting
- (Place2Be) Safeguarding Children
- (BACP) Certificate of Proficiency
- (KAS Counselling) Introduction to Working with Sexual Diversities
- (Accord) Attachment Workshop
- (SOBS) Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide-Group Management Training
- (CNW) Working Therapeutically with Eating Disorders
- (PODS) Trauma and the Body
- (PODS) Disassociation and DID: The Fundamentals
- (PODS) Working with Relational Trauma
- (PODS) Trauma, Disassociation & Recovery
- (PH) Bereavement Awareness
Online Continued Professional Development:
- (Place2Be) Working with Children with SLCN
- (Place2Be) Working with Children with Special Educational Needs
- (Healthcare Training) Mental Capacity Act 2005
- (College of Policing) Channel General Awareness Module [Prevent]
- (HM Government) Awareness of Forced Marriage V2
- (IDAS) Domestic Abuse Basic Awareness
- (Safeguarding e-Academy) Protecting Children from Sexual Exploitation
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Transgender/Non-Binary/Bi Gender/Gender Fluid
- Drag/Cross Dressing
- Asylum Seekers
Each 50 minute session of 1-1 Counselling is £40 in my office, £45 if I come to you.
Couples £65 in my office or £70 Elsewhere
Different charges for work on an Employee Assistance Program (details on request)
with discounts offered (see above) and reduced rates for student counsellors.
Zoom/skype and Telephone counselling - £10 off my usual hourly rate.
Concessions offered for
I look forward to speaking with you soon. Do not hesitate to contact me for any further questions or queries.