Ken Barker-Graham (MBACP)
Hi my name is Ken.
Life at times can be challenging and when we are not feeling ourselves, everyday issues and stresses can easily become unmanageable. We all need help and support at some point in our lives and I am here to support you when you feel ready to ask for help.
I have been qualified as a counsellor since 2016 and offer a safe, warm and non-judgemental environment to explore your thoughts and feelings on a 1-1 basis in my office in Burnley centre. As a counsellor I work in an Integrative Person Centred way which means you are the focus of our time together. I will work alongside you, assisting you to explore the issues of main concern.
I have extensive experience of working with 14 year olds and over through Bereavement and Suicide, and I understand the complexities of loss and change when someone loses a loved one. Understanding, often it can be hard to imagine a future without them. But working together, I will support you to a state of acceptance of your 'new normal'.
I have supported members of the LGBTQI community - whether the issues were associated to their status or not and I understand the different pronouns, identities, terminology and subsections that people associate with and the fears and worries that they may have.
I also support clients who may present with many varied different issues and concerns
I have also many years experience of working with individuals with learning disabilities (including Downs Syndrome, Autism and Asperger Syndrome), their families and carers and people with Mental Health issues.
A safe, warm environment in a quiet office building in the centre of Burnley.
I offer long term and short term therapy. Integrating different counselling techniques when needed.
I offer late night counselling every Wednesday and also Saturday Mornings (I can be flexible on other days too with prior arrangement)
In exceptional circumstances, I can also visit you in a safe environment away from my office (for an increased cost)
I offer a free 30 Minute pre-counselling session where you can visit my office and we can get to meet each other in order to see if we can work together and can build the therapeutic relationship.
Reduced cost for people in the following stressful occupations, Police, Fire, Ambulance and Nursing.
Reduced cost to Students, unemployed and retired (over 65s) and Special offer for student counsellors having counselling as part of their studies.
Training, qualifications & experience
Many years previous experience as a bereavement counsellor at Pendleside Hospice in Burnley and also at Rossendale Hospice. Working with family and friends of the deceased aged 14 and over and some experience with patience with life limiting illnesses (At Rossendale Hospice)
Experience as a Children's Counsellor supporting 12-16 year olds with their many and varied issues In a secondary school in Blackpool, using creativity to help support our relationship.(Such as gender identity, bullying, social isolation, abuse, parental relationship issues, bereavement, parental suicide, anger and anxiety)
Time spent supporting clients at the LGBT Foundation in Manchester (Including coming out fears, asylum seeking worries, gender identity, acceptance, family and relationship breakdowns)
Time spent at Open Door Colne with a varied range of different issues (including self harm and paranoia, hoarding, Jehovah Witness family breakdown, sex and libido issues, Asperger Syndrome and 'conforming to society', anxiety and depression).
I co-facilitated a Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide support group helping individuals explore feelings and thoughts about the suicide of a loved one, helping them to realise that they are 'not alone' and that they may have some questions they never have answers to.
I also have many years experience as a support worker where I worked with individuals with learning and physical disabilities, their families and carers
Plus previously I spent 5 years as a listening volunteer with Samaritans Blackburn
My relevant qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Counselling with Brief Interventions
- Foundation Degree in Counselling with Brief Interventions
- CPCAB Level 4 Certificate In Working Therapeutically with Children
- ABC Level 3 Counselling Skills
- ABC Level 2 Counselling Concepts
- Usui Reike Level 2 Practitioner
- NVQ 3 Promoting Independence of Adults with Disabilities.
- British Sign Language Level 2
- Drug Awareness Studies and their Applications
- Mental Health Awareness
- Emergency First Aid at Work
I have an extensive list of continued professional development courses including:
- (Affordable CPD) Sudden and Traumatic Death
- (CNW) Creative Approaches to Working with Shame
- (PODS) Working with Shame
- (Baldwin Therapy) Working with Suicidal Clients and Risk Assessment
- (Affordable CPD) Sex, Intimacy and Pornography
- (Affordable CPD) Counselling Gender Variations
- (Mind Matters) Stress Control
- (PODS) Dealing with Distress: Working with Self Harm & Suicide
- (Lancashire MIND) Depression, Anxiety, Stress and Resilience
- (PODS) Child Sexual Abuse: Hope for Healing
- (PODS) Working with DID in Clinical Practice
- (BACP) Working Effectively with Trauma in a Healthcare Setting
- (Place2Be) Safeguarding Children
- (CNW) Practical Implications of a Pluralistic Approach
- (BACP) Certificate of Proficiency
- (KAS Counselling) Introduction to Working with Sexual Diversities
- (Accord) Attachment Workshop
- (SOBS) Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide-Group Management Training
- (CNW) Working Therapeutically with Eating Disorders
- (Galloways) Visual Awareness Training
- (ELH) Clearest Communication Skills
- (PODS) Trauma and the Body
- (PODS) Disassociation and DID: The Fundamentals
- (PODS) Working with Relational Trauma
- (PODS) Trauma, Disassociation & Recovery
- (CNW) Suicide: Having the Conversation
- (CNW) Psychosexual Therapy–Porn Addiction
- (Change Agency) NLP and Therapeutic Change
- (PH) Bereavement Awareness
Online Continued Professional Development:
- (Place2Be) Working with Children with SLCN
- (Place2Be) Working with Children with Special Educational Needs
- (Healthcare Training) Mental Capacity Act 2005
- (College of Policing) Channel General Awareness Module [Prevent]
- (HM Government) Awareness of Forced Marriage V2
- (IDAS) Domestic Abuse Basic Awareness
- (Safeguarding e-Academy) Protecting Children from Sexual Exploitation
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Drag/Cross Dressing
- Asylum Seekers
Photos & videos
I offer my counselling at what I feel is a reasonable rate
The initial 30 minute Assessment - Free of Charge.
Each 50 minute session of 1-1 Counselling thereafter £40 in my office £45 if I come to you.
I offer discounts for the unemployed, students and the retired over 65s (Proof required) and discounts for Police, Fire, Ambulance workers and Nurses.
Special Offer and discount for Student counsellors having counselling as part of their studies.- Pay upfront for 10 sessions and pay for 9 sessions total (£225.00)
Different charges for work on an Employee Assistance Program (details on request)
I look forward to speaking with you soon. Do not hesitate to contact me for any further questions or queries.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Very Basic British Sign Language level 2|
Unfortunately My office is at the top of 2 flight of stairs with no other access.
Wednesdays 8am-7pm Thursday- Friday 8am-6pm and Saturdays 7am-1pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|