Dr Kate Woollaston, Clinical Psychologist (DClinPsych, BSc (Hons), PGDipCYPIAPT)
COVID-19 October 2020 Update: I currently have a limited number of face to face appointments available and am conducting the majority of my sessions over Zoom.
I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist, with 17 years experience working in NHS mental health services. I currently work part-time in the NHS and have a private practice in Hitchin. I also lecture at the Anna Freud Centre in London. I am warm and emphatic, and offer a confidential, non-judgmental space for people to work through their difficulties. I work with adults and children and have specialist experience of working with parents and families. I also offer supervision to professionals working privately, in the NHS and local authority.
Psychological difficulties I work with:
- Anxiety, including generalised anxiety disorder (worry), obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, specific phobias and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Feeling sad, low mood, depression
- Low self-esteem, feelings of failure
- Stress, feeling overwhelmed and exhausted
- Adjustment to becoming a parent in the antenatal and postnatal period (postnatal depression)
- Common young childhood difficulties, such as feeding, toileting, sleep, tantrums and separation issues
- Children experiencing worries and distress in relation to school, peer and sibling relationships and adjusting to changes in family circumstances
- Children struggling with anger and presenting with challenging behaviours (aggression, screaming, hitting, biting, destroying property etc.)
- Post-diagnostic support for ADHD, Autism and Learning Difficulties
I am able to draw on a number of different therapeutic approaches, including: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Compassion-Based Therapy, Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Narrative Therapy and Social Learning Theory-Based Therapy. I use my knowledge of the research evidence to select the best therapeutic approach to address my clients' needs and then tailor the intervention to suit their individual circumstances and help them meet their goals.
Feel free to contact me for an informal, free of charge discussion of your needs. We can then arrange an assessment appointment where I can hear more about your concerns and give you some options for treatment.
I currently have limited availability on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Due to the current situation all sessions are completed via Zoom.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsych) - University College London
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Child and Young Person IAPT Therapy - University College London
- First Class Honours Degree in Psychology - Westminster University
- Practitioner Psychologist with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol) with the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Enhanced DBS clearance
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
British Psychological Society
British Psychological Society
Areas of counselling I deal with
I offer a free 15 minute telephone consultation to ascertain if I am the best person to help you. After that my fees start at £120 per 50 minute session.
I am a recognised provider with a number of leading UK health insurance companies: Vitality/PruHealth, AXA PPP Healthcare, Aviva Health and CIGNA. Please speak to your company to find out what your policy covers, as policies vary.
Parking is available across the road from my clinic in Waitrose car park for up to 2 hours.
Unfortunately I am not currently offering home visits.