Karen M Williams MBACP, MCOSRT
07787 803 012
I am a qualified Integrative Counsellor, CBT Psychosexual / Sex Therapist and an Integrative Clinical Supervisor based in North West Wales. I work with people in all kinds of relationships and also individuals; people who are not in a relationship. As an integrative therapist, I use skills and techniques from different therapeutic orientations, combining these as necessary, depending on what is needed by you. I am a Relate trained couple counsellor and sex therapist.
As I believe that each individual is unique, my integrative training enables me to be responsive to your individual needs.
People have different reasons why they might want to enter into therapy. For example, relationship issues (of any kind), or grief and loss, anxiety, depression, phobias, abuse, sexual abuse, physical or emotional abuse, parenting (also for separating parents), pain and illness, addictions, sexuality or sexual difficulties.
'Walk' and Talk Therapy - North West Wales: (Currently no availability)
As well as working indoors there is the option of working outdoors in natural spaces. 'Walk' and Talk Therapy - North West Wales' is just as it sounds. The first appointment will take place indoors and then during Day 2 and 3 we will spend between 1 - 1.5 hours outdoors in the beautiful North West Wales countryside. With some routes being disabled-accessible, everyone can work through their struggles in a more relaxing environment.
Being in nature can be meditative and grounding. Research studies have shown it is increasingly apparent that walking, or being outdoors, is not only good for your physical health, but it is also good for your mental health and has also been shown to reduce levels of depression and anxiety. You may prefer a meditative, relaxing session or a more active, fast-paced session, what ever your pace, I will work with you.
Specialist knowledge & experience:
I am experienced in working with individuals of any sex, gender or sexuality; who are experiencing difficulties with any kind of relationship and / or their intimate/sexual relationship.
I also work with clients who present with symptoms of abuse; the co-existing symptoms and/or disorders that can often develop as a result of trauma: both from childhood and adult life.
In my private practice, I also work clinically with sex offenders and those at risk of offending, as I believe that offering specialist treatment for this population not only assists in the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to the ultimate ideal of reducing the prevalence of sexual violence on adults or children.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Postgraduate Certificate in Relationship Therapy - Psychosexual Therapy (University of Hull)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling (Bangor University)
- Qualified Relate Counsellor (Relate Institute)
- Certificate of Credit - Principles of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (University of the West of England, Bristol)
- Diploma (PGDip level) in Integrative Supervision of Individuals and Groups
- Certificate in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy [ACT] (LCCH)
- Emotional Focused Couples Therapy - 4-day Externship (ICEEFT)
- Mental Health and Couples (Relate Institute)
- Working with Men, Intimacy and Shame (Synegrycounselling.com)
- Working with Men; Anger (Synergycounselling.com)
- Psychosexual Master Class
- Living with Sexuality and Cancer (Prostrate Cancer UK)
- Sexual Minorities (Dominic Davies)
- Sexual Health awareness (Relate Cymru)
- Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse (Relate Institute)
- Working therapeutically with victims of sexual violence (Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Centre - North Wales.)
- Working with victims of sexual violence - 4 day course (New Pathways)
- Parenting for Separated Parents - trainer training (Relate Cymru)
- Safeguarding: Children and Adults
- Vicarious Trauma
- Substance Misuse
- Suicide and Self-harm
- Mental Health First Aid - NHS Wales
- Pre-trail therapy
- Arts in Health - level 3
- Understanding Sexual and Internet Addiction (FCRS)
- Treating Sexual Compulsion and Addiction (FCRS)
- StopSO (Stop Sexual Offending) trained counsellor
- Private Practice: Counsellor, Relationship and Psychosexual Therapist and a Clinical Supervisor: working with individuals and people in any kind of Relationship.
- Trainer - Delivering WT4C (Working Together for Children) throughout Wales for Core Assets
- Specialist Psychotherapist - Stop Sex Offending - StopSO.
- Couples counsellor - Relate Cymru
- Psychosexual Therapist - Relate Cymru
- Counsellor (Volunteer)- Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre (RASASC-NW)
- Trainer - Parenting for Separating Parents (Relate Cymru)
- Child Contact Centre Co-ordinator (Relate Cymru)
- Counsellor - local homeless charity
- Development Worker - local homeless charity.
- Counsellor (Volunteer) - CAIS
- Counsellor - School 11 - 18 yr olds
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Everyone goes through phases when their sex life is not what they would like it to be. Counselling with a sexual focus may help you if you are experiencing difficulties and can help to improve your physical intimacy. Alternatively psychosexual therapy can help you with common sex problems that can include: Getting or maintaining an erection; premature ejaculation; not getting aroused or unable to have an orgasm; painful sex; different sex drives; stopped having sex; or believing that you are accessing too much porn. Psychosexual therapy help you address the psychological issues that affect your sex life.
In my private practice, I also work clinically with sex offenders, or those at risk of offending, as I believe that offering specialist treatment for this population not only assists in the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to the ultimate ideal of reducing the prevalence of sexual violence.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Counselling - up to 60 minutes session. (Initial Appointments can run up to 1.5hours)
Evening and Day time sessions are available:
Face to face (for couples or individuals)
- £50 for couples
- £45 for individuals
- I am also an EAP therapist: When your employer may pay for your counselling.
Supervisees - 1 or 1.5 hour sessions
- £40 for 1 hour
- £50 for 1.5 hours
- Concessions are available for Student Counsellors
Walk and Talk Therapy - 4 hours over 3 days (Currently no availability)
- £120 for the 4 hours (spread over 3 appointments)
Day 1: 1 hour in the therapy room
Day 2: up to 1.5 hours outdoors
Day 3: up to 1.5 hours outdoors.
I work to the ethical framework of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (COSRT).
I am registered with the ICO and comply with data protection legislation and maintain the security of all client information. I would not normally share information from or about my clients except in very exceptional circumstances where there was good reason to be concerned about issues of safety, particularly if these related to a vulnerable individual.
As an ethical practitioner, I receive regular supervision in accordance with BACP and COSRT guidance, where client confidentiality is maintained.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evening and daytime appointments available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I currently offer supervision to counsellors/therapists working with individuals and couples from my base in near to Bangor, or in Little Sutton, near to Ellesmere Port, CH66 area. .View supervision profile