Karen M Williams MBACP, MCOSRT, ATSAC
07787 803 012
I am a qualified: Integrative trained Counsellor working with Individuals; Psychosexual (CBT theorised) and Relationship Therapist (Relate trained); and a Porn and Sex Addiction / Compulsion therapist. As an integrative therapist, I use skills and techniques from different therapeutic orientations, combining these as necessary, as I believe that each individual is unique. My integrative training enables me to be responsive to your individual needs.
The type of Therapy I offer includes:
Therapy for Individuals, : therapy for people who are, or have been, troubled by: Abuse; Anxiety; Addiction; Anger; Bereavement; Child sexual abuse (CSE); Depression; Emotional abuse; Exploitation and Rape; Guilt; Parenting for separating parents; Pain and illness; Relationships (of any kind); Self Esteem; Shame; Sexuality and Sexual difficulties.
Couple or Relationship therapy (Currently no availability) for those who are experiencing problematic relationships; as a couple, within the family, etc; which may include any of the above difficulties.
Psychosexual therapy (Currently no availability) for couples, individuals and/or partners who have sexual problems; Pain, Erection problems, Delayed ejaculation, Premature ejaculation, Unable to orgasm, Absence / inhibited sexual desire, Porn induced erectile problems, etc.
Porn and Sex addiction /compulsion: (Availability for therapy via Skype and face to face) for individuals with porn or sexual compulsivity, impulsivity, hyper-sexuality, out of control sexual behaviour. I work with the individual porn/sex addict, their relationship, or with their partners and impact it has on them.
Porn and/or sex addiction. can include: Anonymous sex; Chat room/on-line sex; Compulsive use of pornography, Compulsive masturbation; Chemsex; Dangerous sexual practices; Exhibitionism; Fetishes; Having multiple ongoing affairs; Paraphilias; Prostitution; Telephone sex; Voyeurism; and Illegal sexual practices. [I am currently working towards a Level 5 Diploma in Sex Addiction Counselling via the Laurel Centre, through the Institute for Sex Addiction Training (ISAT), one of the only two institutions in the UK providing this qualification.]
I also work clinically with those who may be at risk of 'crossing the line' (offending), or those who have crossed the line (offended), by viewing illegal images online. I believe that offering specialist treatment for this population not only assists in the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to the ultimate ideal of reducing the prevalence of sexual offences against adults or children.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Postgraduate Certificate in Relationship Therapy - Psychosexual Therapy (University of Hull)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling (Bangor University)
- Qualified Relate Couple Counsellor (Relate Institute)
- Certificate of Credit - Principles of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (University of the West of England, Bristol)
- Diploma (PGDip level) in Integrative Supervision of Individuals and Groups
- Level 5 Diploma in Sex Addiction (ISAT: Institute for Sex Addiction Training) - currently studying
- Certificate in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy [ACT] (LCCH)
- Emotional Focused Couples Therapy - 4-day Externship (ICEEFT)
- Mental Health and Couples (Relate Institute)
- Working with Men, Intimacy and Shame (Synegrycounselling.com)
- Working with Men; Anger (Synergycounselling.com)
- Psychosexual Master Class
- Living with Sexuality and Cancer (Prostrate Cancer UK)
- Sexual Minorities (Dominic Davies)
- Sexual Health awareness (Relate Cymru)
- Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse (Relate Institute)
- Working therapeutically with victims of sexual violence (Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Centre - North Wales.)
- Working with victims of sexual violence - 4 day course (New Pathways)
- Parenting for Separated Parents - trainer training (Relate Cymru)
- Safeguarding: Children and Adults
- Vicarious Trauma
- Substance Misuse
- Suicide and Self-harm
- Mental Health First Aid - NHS Wales
- Pre-trail therapy
- Arts in Health - level 3
- Understanding Sexual and Internet Addiction (FCRS)
- Treating Sexual Compulsion and Addiction (FCRS)
- StopSO (Stop Sexual Offending) trained counsellor
Current Roles - In Private Practice
- Counsellor for Individuals
- Relationship Counsellor
- Psychosexual Therapist
- Porn and Sex Addiction Therapist
- Specialist Psychotherapist for StopSO (Stop Sex Offending).
- Clinical Supervisor: Supervising counsellors.
- Couples counsellor - Relate Cymru
- Psychosexual Therapist - Relate Cymru
- Counsellor (Volunteer)- Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre (RASASC-NW)
- Trainer - Parenting for Separating Parents (Relate Cymru and Core Assets)
- Child Contact Centre Co-ordinator (Relate Cymru)
- Counsellor - local homeless charity
- Development Worker - local homeless charity.
- Counsellor (Volunteer) - CAIS (drug and alcohol)
- Counsellor in Schools (YMCC & GCC: 11 - 18yrs)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Everyone goes through phases when their sex life is not what they would like it to be. Counselling with a sexual focus may help you if you are experiencing difficulties and can help to improve your physical intimacy. Alternatively psychosexual therapy (please see above) can help you with common sex problems that can include: Getting or maintaining an erection; premature ejaculation; not getting aroused or unable to have an orgasm; painful sex; different sex drives; stopped having sex; or believing that you are accessing too much porn. Psychosexual therapy help you address the psychological issues that affect your sex life.
In my private practice I also work clinically with those at risk of offending, or those who have offended, by viewing illegal images online; as I believe that offering specialist treatment for this population not only assists in the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to the ultimate ideal of reducing the prevalence of sexual offences against adults or children.
Client Sessions - up to 60 minutes. (Initial Appointments may run up to 1.5 hours)
Evening and Day time sessions are available:
Face to face
- £45 for Individuals
- £50 for Relationships
- £50 for Psychosexual therapy
- £50 for Sex Addition (levels 1,2&3)
- I am also an EAP therapist: When your employer pays for your counselling.
I work to the ethical frameworks of the:
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (COSRT).
- Association for the Treatment for Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity (ATSAC)
I am registered with the ICO and comply with data protection legislation and maintain the security of all client information. I would not normally share information from or about my clients except in very exceptional circumstances where there was good reason to be concerned about issues of safety, particularly if these related to a vulnerable individual.
As an ethical practitioner, I receive regular supervision in accordance with BACP and COSRT guidance, where client confidentiality is maintained.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evening and daytime appointments available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I currently offer supervision to counsellors/therapists working with individuals and couples from my base in near to Bangor, or in Little Sutton, near to Ellesmere Port, CH66 area. .View supervision profile