Karen M Williams MBACP, MCOSRT, ATSAC
07787 803 012
I am a qualified Integrative Counsellor and Supervisor working with individuals, partners and relationships; a CBT theorised Psychosexual and Relationship Therapist (Relate trained) and a Sex Addiction therapist, based in North West Wales. I work with people who are in all kinds of relationships and also individuals (people who are not in a relationship). As an integrative therapist, I use skills and techniques from different therapeutic orientations, combining these as necessary, depending on what is needed by you. I believe that each individual is unique, my integrative training enables me to be responsive to your individual needs.
The types of issues I have helped with include:
Individual and Relational therapy: for issues on; Relationships (of any kind); Anxiety; Emotional abuse; Childhood sexual abuse; Exploitation and Rape; Depression; Eating disorders; Bereavement; Anger; Shame; Guilt; Parenting for separating parents; Pain and illness; Addiction; Sexuality and Sexual difficulties.
Psychosexual therapy: for individual and partners. Sexual dysfunctions; Vulva or pelvic pain/anxiety on penetration - genital-pelvic pain/penetration disorder (GPPP), erectile dysfunction, anorgasmia, delayed ejaculation, premature ejaculation, vaginismus, lack of desire, porn induced erectile dysfunction and inhibited sexual desire.
Sex addiction: working with individuals and partners of sexual compulsivity, impulsivity, hyper-sexuality, out of control sexual behaviour; working with the impact on the relationship; working with partners of sex addicts and the implications of sex addiction. This includes; Compulsive masturbation; Compulsive use of pornography; Paraphilias; Having multiple ongoing affairs; Exhibitionism; Fetishes; Dangerous sexual practices; Prostitution; Anonymous sex; Voyeurism; Telephone sex; Chat room/on-line sex and Illegal sexual practices. [I am currently working towards a Level 5 Diploma in Sex Addiction Counselling through the Institute for Sex Addiction Training (ISAT), one of the only two institutions in the UK providing this qualification.]
In my private practice, I also work clinically with sex offenders and those at risk of offending, as I believe that offering specialist treatment for this population not only assists in the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to the ultimate ideal of reducing the prevalence of sexual violence on adults or children
Training, qualifications & experience
- Postgraduate Certificate in Relationship Therapy - Psychosexual Therapy (University of Hull)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling (Bangor University)
- Qualified Relate Couple Counsellor (Relate Institute)
- Certificate of Credit - Principles of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (University of the West of England, Bristol)
- Diploma (PGDip level) in Integrative Supervision of Individuals and Groups
- Level 5 Diploma in Sex Addiction (ISAT: Institute for Sex Addiction Training) - currently studying
- Certificate in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy [ACT] (LCCH)
- Emotional Focused Couples Therapy - 4-day Externship (ICEEFT)
- Mental Health and Couples (Relate Institute)
- Working with Men, Intimacy and Shame (Synegrycounselling.com)
- Working with Men; Anger (Synergycounselling.com)
- Psychosexual Master Class
- Living with Sexuality and Cancer (Prostrate Cancer UK)
- Sexual Minorities (Dominic Davies)
- Sexual Health awareness (Relate Cymru)
- Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse (Relate Institute)
- Working therapeutically with victims of sexual violence (Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Centre - North Wales.)
- Working with victims of sexual violence - 4 day course (New Pathways)
- Parenting for Separated Parents - trainer training (Relate Cymru)
- Safeguarding: Children and Adults
- Vicarious Trauma
- Substance Misuse
- Suicide and Self-harm
- Mental Health First Aid - NHS Wales
- Pre-trail therapy
- Arts in Health - level 3
- Understanding Sexual and Internet Addiction (FCRS)
- Treating Sexual Compulsion and Addiction (FCRS)
- StopSO (Stop Sexual Offending) trained counsellor
- Private Practice: Counsellor for Individuals, Couple Counsellor, Psychosexual Therapist, Sex and Porn Addiction Therapist.
- Clinical Supervisor: Supervising counsellors.
- Specialist Psychotherapist - Stop Sex Offending - StopSO.
- Couples counsellor - Relate Cymru
- Psychosexual Therapist - Relate Cymru
- Counsellor (Volunteer)- Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre (RASASC-NW)
- Trainer - Parenting for Separating Parents (Relate Cymru and Core Assets)
- Child Contact Centre Co-ordinator (Relate Cymru)
- Counsellor - local homeless charity
- Development Worker - local homeless charity.
- Counsellor (Volunteer) - CAIS (drug and alcohol)
- Counsellor - School 11 - 18 yr olds
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Everyone goes through phases when their sex life is not what they would like it to be. Counselling with a sexual focus may help you if you are experiencing difficulties and can help to improve your physical intimacy. Alternatively psychosexual therapy can help you with common sex problems that can include: Getting or maintaining an erection; premature ejaculation; not getting aroused or unable to have an orgasm; painful sex; different sex drives; stopped having sex; or believing that you are accessing too much porn. Psychosexual therapy help you address the psychological issues that affect your sex life.
In my private practice, I also work clinically with sex offenders, or those at risk of offending, as I believe that offering specialist treatment for this population not only assists in the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to the ultimate ideal of reducing the prevalence of sexual violence.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Client Sessions - up to 60 minutes. (Initial Appointments may run up to 1.5 hours)
Evening and Day time sessions are available:
Face to face
- £45 for Individuals
- £50 for Relationships
- £50 for Psychosexual therapy
- £50 for Sex Addition (levels 1,2&3)
- I am also an EAP therapist: When your employer pays for your counselling.
I work to the ethical framework of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (COSRT).
I am registered with the ICO and comply with data protection legislation and maintain the security of all client information. I would not normally share information from or about my clients except in very exceptional circumstances where there was good reason to be concerned about issues of safety, particularly if these related to a vulnerable individual.
As an ethical practitioner, I receive regular supervision in accordance with BACP and COSRT guidance, where client confidentiality is maintained.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evening and daytime appointments available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I currently offer supervision to counsellors/therapists working with individuals and couples from my base in near to Bangor, or in Little Sutton, near to Ellesmere Port, CH66 area. .View supervision profile