Julie Crawford Reg. (Accred) MBACP Dip. Couns
A little about me
I work as a private therapist, offering a warm and non-judgemental approach. My experience of over 11 years working in the addiction field has led me to understand that addictions are often the symptom of deeper, underlying issues. As a result I have vast experience of working with clients on an array of difficulties including trauma, low self worth, mental health struggles and many more.
I am based in the Dunmurry area, situated between Lisburn and Belfast.
I am a fully accredited member of BACP and all of my practice is informed by their Ethical Framework of Good Practice for counsellors (www.bacp.co.uk)
I look forward to connecting with you so we can further discuss how we can work together for the change you are looking for.
What is counselling?
At times we can face situations that can feel impossible. Counselling offers a safe space, with a trained professional to explore difficulties, past or present, and begin your journey to healing. Counselling can give you deeper insight into how you are feeling and help you find ways to express this in order to better understand yourself and help you work towards change.
I work in an integrative way, drawing on different counselling approaches based on your needs as a client. At the heart of my work is a focus on building a strong therapeutic relationship that creates trust and respect so problems can be explored in an open, non-judgemental way.
Counselling will provide you with a safe, confidential space that allows you to reflect on your experiences and gain new insights into yourself and your circumstances with the result of improving your wellbeing.
"The only impossible journey is the one you never begin." Tony Robbins
Training, qualifications & experience
I have over 11 years experience of working in the addictions field and have worked with individuals, young people and family members affected by a variety of issues including addiction, mental health difficulties, trauma, loss and many more.
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Integrative psychodynamic and person centred).
- BACP Accredited counsellor/psychotherapist.
- Introduction to Counselling.
- Certificate in Counselling Skills.
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency.
- Certificate in Training Practice.
- BA Hons + DIS Business Studies.
Other relevant training
- Winning the worry wars - creative interventions for anxious children and YP
- Spirituality and mental health
- Understanding addiction from a psychodynamic perspective.
- Taming the trauma - helping children through evidence-informed creative interventions.
- Trauma & Addiction.
- Mental health & substance misuse.
- OCN Level 3 in substance misuse for counsellors.
- Sand Play Workshop.
- 'Seeing Red' - CBT tools for managing anger in children and young people.
- 'Down in the dumps' - CBT skills for working with low mood and depression in children and young people.
- 'Modern family' - how to help children cope when their family changes shape.
- Motivational Interviewing.
- SafeTalk & SafeTalk Train the Trainer.
- Understanding brief intervention approaches and how to use them with drug & alcohol misusing clients.
- Practical ways of working with drug & alcohol misusing clients.
- Level 1 CBT key knowledge & skills.
- Level 1 CBT with substance misuse.
- OCN Level 3 Train the Trainer Men & Women's Sexual Health Education.
- Drugs and Young People's development.
- OCN Level 3 Principles of tackling substance misuse.
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention Training.
- Taking the lid off - supporting adults & young people living with alcoholism and problematic substance misuse.
- Self harm - whose challenge?
- Managing difficult, dangerous and disturbing behaviour.
- Assessing and managing risk.
- Children/Young people and substance misuse.
- OCN Level 2 Community Drugs Awareness.
- OCN Level 3 Train the Trainer.
- Protection of children and vulnerable adults.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Initial assessment/consultation session - £25.
Each session thereafter is charged at £40.
Concession rates are available where appropriate - feel free to contact me to discuss.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday - Saturday Daytime and Evening appointments available
Types of client