Dr Jennifer Leonard: Counselling Psychologist - CBT - Mindfulness
01225864840 / 07434108811
Hello. I am a trained, experienced and Registered Counselling Psychologist based in Wiltshire, I work with individuals, entrepreneurs and people in business. I offer a supportive environment to explore thoughts and feelings while working towards positive and lasting change.
Our work together may include talking therapy, mindfulness, relaxation, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), and Holigral coaching. I am one of a handful of practitioners in the UK that is trained to use Holigral, a cognitive method of guided self-discovery that enables deeply embedded issues to be healed and released from their root cause.
By addressing the underlying cause as well as providing helpful tools for coping with current difficulties, new understandings can emerge that lead to greater happiness, freedom and lasting change. We will use methods that are powerful yet gentle, fast and effective.
For more information about the Holigral Method, please see the video below.
What is CBT?
CBT helps us to recognize and then change unhelpful patterns of thinking and behaving and this can have a positive effect on our mood. NICE (National Institute of Clinical Excellence) recommends CBT for many psychological difficulties included anxiety and depression. This means that research has show CBT to be effective for some people (while other people need a different approach).
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is about getting ourselves into a relaxed state of awareness! It's a form of attention training. NICE recommends Mindfulness for psychological difficulties once you have recovered. Research has shown that regular practice can decrease feelings of anxiety and depression and increase happiness and well-being, it is good for our physical as well as our mental health.
Mindfulness for Busy People (for individuals)
Mindfulness for Healthcare Professionals and organisations
Ongoing and affordable four week course that will provide you with the foundations of mindful practice. Please check out the events page or contact me for details.
Stress, anxiety and depression
Symptoms of stress and panic can be brought on when we feel overwhelmed by our life's circumstances. It can be just a small thing that "break the camel's back" sending us tumbling into a melt down and panic and anxiety can take hold.
Depression can follow stressful life events that involve change and usually loss of some kind. If we do not have enough inner and outer resources to draw on then things can start to get on top of us. One of the symptoms of depression is the escalation negative thinking. Are you aware of negative and critical voices inside your head? Most of us have these inner critics to some extent, but when we start to give these voices too much attention they can escalate and become troublesome. This is when we need to take action to prevent them tipping us into a negative spiral of anxiety and depression.
I am trained and experienced in working in many areas, below are just some examples:
- Low mood and depression
- Stress, including work related stress
- Low self-esteem and low confidence
- Trauma, including childhood trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Social anxiety
- Health anxiety
- Panic attacks
- Eating disorders and problems with loosing or gaining weight
- Worry and generalised anxiety disorder
- Relationship issues
- Coping with long term health issues such as ME, Glucoma, Obesity
- Chronic pain
What happens in the first session?
During the first and session we will explore together what has brought you to therapy and consider how your difficulties stared, what is keeping them going, and what you would like to achieve. The therapy will be tailored to you as an individual and together we can decide the best way forward and develop a plan.
How might I benefit from therapy?
- Reduce worry, anxiety and depression
- A tool kit for handing difficulties that will last you a life time
- Sustained change
- Release blocks and limitations
- Release old negative ways of thinking that no longer serve you
- Enriched relationship with yourself and with others
- Bring life back into balance
- Peace of mind
How long will therapy take?
The first session will give you a feel of whether or not you feel comfortable with me and I can also assess how I might be able to help you. If you feel happy to proceed I usually suggest that we initially work together for 6 weeks and then reassess at that point. We are all complex human beings, and each person is different. Some people can benefit from just a short burst of therapy while other people need longer.
Is therapy expensive?
The best way to think about the expensive of therapy is to see it as an investment in you. These days, people spend thousands of pounds on gadgets, computers and holidays, but your emotional well-being so so much more important than things.
I am happy to talk things over with you before you make a decision about whether this therapy would be right for you. Please feel free to give me a call, I look forward to hearing from you.
- The British Psychological Society (BPS) registered as a Chartered Psychologist
- The Health Care and Professionals Council (HCPC) the Government regulatory body established to protect the public by ensuring that members meet their standards for training) as a practitioner Counselling Psychologist
Training, qualifications & experience
- Chartered Counselling Psychologist
- Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society (member since 1986)
- Registered with the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Doctorate in Psychology
- Degree (Hons) Psychology
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling accredited by the Counselling and Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body
- Diploma in CBT/REBT
- Certificate in Counselling Studies
- Bereavement trained with Dorothy House
- Addiction trained with SWADS
I am also qualified as a therapeutic healer - working with the body's energy systems (similar to those used in acupuncture, osteopathy and Chi Gong). This offers a more holistic approach for those who would like to work on deeper levels - including mind, body and soul.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Media and film (assessments and onset work to support participants)
Employee well being
Positive Psychology and Happiness
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Photos & videos
Fees are £75 per session, substantial discounts are available for who want to commit to longer term therapy, 6 months plus. Please ask.
I accept private Medical Insurance from most providers, please contact me for insurance rates
I am happy to take GP referrals for private patients.
Thank you for visiting my profile
If you have any questions or want to make an initial appointment, then please feel free to give me a call so that we can discuss how I might help.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Thursday
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|