Jean Wells, Psychotherapuetic Counsellor and Supervisor (MBACP Accred)
As a psychotherapeutic counsellor I see each person as unique. In therapy we explore possibilities for improving our lives by examining the life crisis, problem, or confusion. I offer a confidential space where you can discuss your world and feelings in compassion and without judgement. Together we will explore what troubles you and through this discover new possibilities for ways of living and coping.
People come to counselling for many reasons. For some a loss or trauma may have made coping difficult. Others may feel depressed, anxious or lonely, or experience feelings of hopelessness or low self worth. Some experience personal, emotional or relationship difficulties, and sometimes we just don’t know what's wrong.
Whatever your reasons research has shown that speaking to a professional in a safe, non-judgemental and confidential environment is helpful. Together we will decide if a brief intervention for a current life crisis or longer term therapy might be most helpful to you.
I work from a private location near West Wittering, about 10 minutes from Chichester in West Sussex. Public transportation and free parking are available.
I have an Advanced Diploma in counselling supervision (NCS accredited) and offer supervision to counsellors and psychotherapists, in person or online, at a frequency to suit your needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I have been a practising therapist for many years, working in a variety of settings in long and short term therapy, the charity sector, and private practice. I have worked with a range of personal issues and have over 1,200 hours practice experience.
- I am a Senior Lecturer in Counselling at University of Chichester.
- I am an accredited member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and work within their ethical framework for good practice.
Training and Qualifications
- Adv Dip, Counselling Supervision, KRCS
- MSc, Counselling and Psychotherapy, University of Roehampton (Accredited by UPCA and UKCP)
- Dip, Humanistic Counselling, University of Chichester
- PG Dip, Advanced Research Methods, City University, London
- BA, Colgate University, New York, USA
- Accredited Member, British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Member, Universities for Psychotherapy and Counselling Association (UPCA, organisational member of the UKCP)
I am currently researching a PhD in assessment for psychotherapy and counselling.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£35 - £45 per 50 minute session