Indira Chima MA MBACP - The Counselling Living Room®: Online + In person
Are you struggling with a difficulty in your life and need some help?
Would you like to improve your personal and professional relationships?
Do you want to talk to someone who will listen without judgement?
Is Coronavirus the catalyst for reaching out?
Hello. I’m Indira Chima and I run The Counselling Living Room® near St Albans where I offer space to talk so you can work through your difficulties in complete confidence.
The Counselling Living Room® is based in Markyate in rural Hertfordshire. It is a private counselling service founded on clinical excellence informed by up-to-date research.
I’m passionate about my work as well as the long term benefits of 'talking therapies' and am committed to making a difference to my clients' lives.
My counselling experience is diverse and includes:-
- Relationship Issues
- Couple Counselling
- Anxiety & Depression
- Bereavement Counselling
- Work Stress
- Self Harm
- Low Self-esteem
- Disordered Eating
- Personal Development
- General Counselling
I have helped clients overcome issues such as self harm, addictions, disordered eating and the emotional trauma caused by abuse. I work with individuals and also enjoy helping couples learn how to communicate and not just talk.
I know from my own experience that the world can be a pretty stressful place and that our daily lives can sap us emotionally and physically as we attempt to juggle our work and personal lives. This is amplified with the new challenges we face with Covid-19. It's this personal experience, combined with my first-hand knowledge of the business world and my specialist training, which have combined to make me the therapist I am ie. down-to-earth, forward thinking and solution focused.
I'm professionally qualified (to Master's level) and registered with the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP). I am governed by their professional Code of Practice and Ethical Framework. I also have further training in Couple Counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Enhanced DBS.
I'm a firm believer in working with the whole 'person' and not the 'label' and this lays the foundation for the way I work. My counselling sessions don't involve you lying on a couch, looking at ink blots or answering awkward questions about your sex life! I'm a thoroughly modern practitioner and am dedicated to providing counselling in a straightforward, contemporary and relaxed setting.
If you would like an informal chat about your work life, pressures at home or in your head then pick up the phone or drop me an email or text and we can talk about how I can help you. I promise you listening ears, empathetic advice and total confidentiality!
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP Registered Member (No 046496)
- Master's degree in Contemporary Therapeutic Counselling - University of Hertfordshire (UoH)
- Post-Graduate Diploma (Pg Dip) in Contemporary Therapeutic Counselling - UoH
- University Diploma in Counselling - UoH
- Certificate in Couples Counselling
- CBT Key Knowledge & Skills - The Association for Psychological Therapies (APT)
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Online counselling allows you to see your therapist in the comfort of your own home. There's no need for you to travel to sessions and you can simply join me from wherever is most convenient for you.
I use secure end-to-end encrypted video conferencing via Zoom and can work flexibly around your schedule.
Clients find it straightforward and beneficial and some even prefer it to meeting in person. Payment is easy too - I simply send you an invoice after our session with a remote secure payment link.
See my (published) article below on video calling and contact me to set up a session
- £70 Individual Counselling - 50 minutes
- £80 Couple Counselling - 1 hour
- £70 Online Counselling - 50 minutes
- My comfortable home studio is tucked away on the outskirts of the village of Markyate (postcode AL3) close to the M1 (2 miles from junctions 9/10) + A5 and within easy reach of Harpenden, St Albans, Luton, Dunstable, Watford and North West London.
- Your counselling sessions will take place in a modern and stylish environment which reflects my way of working ie. straightforward, contemporary and relaxed. The semi-rural location and private off-street parking offer you privacy and convenience.
- My (dedicated home) studio is naturally ventilated and allows for 2m social distancing if you would like to meet in person so long as we are both well and symptom-free. I employ a list of measures to mitigate risk including the use of hi-alcohol based hand sanitiser, regular professional cleaning and high level of hygiene. I will send you my Covid-19 policy when you make an appointment.
- For more information about the way I work and what to expect, visit my website: www.thecounsellinglivingroom.co.uk