Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
A warm welcome to you; thanks for taking the time to review my profile.
· I’m a qualified therapist involving Humanistic and integrative counselling. I have professional and personal experience working in and through Anxiety, Stress, Low Self-Esteem, Depression, Sex, Sexual Issues, Intimacy, Nero-diversity, addiction, and issues around abuse. I am ENM and kink-friendly, having experience working with those in non-traditional relationships and Geek/nerd, Goth, Punk, Emo, Kink and ENM communities.
· I believe that therapy can be the excavation of ourselves, that it can be as rewarding as it can be painful. Because of this, I feel you must be treated with care and respect and move at a pace with which you are comfortable. However, we both must be engaged with what you bring for you sometimes to be challenged and willing to focus on the work.
· I feel it is vital that we work together to establish a supportive and empathic relationship through building trust, and both of us create a space where you can explore and grow.
· I work fixed, short, or long-term and open-ended and have slots available in and out of standard working hours.
· I can work online and will be back to In-person work soon.
· I practice the BACP ethical framework.
· If you feel that it is time to begin or continue with counselling and think I would be a good fit for you, then you can call or email me, and we can arrange an initial session.
· When we meet for the first time, it will be an opportunity to get to know each other, and we can discuss what you would like to bring to therapy and what you would like to achieve. Then, if you decide to continue, we can agree on a regular weekly slot.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a level 5 professional diploma in humanistic and integrative counselling from the City of Bristol College and further training in Addiction, co-dependency, motivational speaking, shame, and grief & loss. I have further training with the Grove practice, working therapeutically with psychosexual issues.
I have experience working with and through Addiction, anxiety, stress, low self-esteem, depression, phobias, sex issues, kink issues and various other issues. I also have experience working with vulnerable people, people who have suffered emotional, physical and sexual abuse, eating disorders, addictions to alcohol, drugs and prescription medications, and compulsive behaviours and processes.
I have experience addressing domestic violence, bullying, and relational issues and working with clients who have experienced trauma.
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£40.00 - £60.00
Free initial telephone session
Concessions offered for
When I work
Counsellor, MBACP Accred
"Ian has an extremely creative way of working, integrating story, image and metaphor frequently into his work. He is trauma-informed, very experienced and a very safe pair of hands. I have had the pleasure to supervise Ian through his career as a therapist."
"A kind and open minded counsellor, who understands difference. Ian is a treasured colleague."