A warm welcome to you.
· I’m a qualified therapist involving Humanistic and integrative counselling. I have professional and personal experience working in and through Anxiety, Stress, Low Self-Esteem, Depression, drug and alcohol addiction, issues around bullying, as well as PTSD and trauma. I also have experience working with those in Nerd/Geek and Alternative Culture.
· I believe that therapy can be the excavation of ourselves, that it can be as rewarding as it can be painful. Because of this, I feel it is essential you are treated with care, respect and move at a pace with which you are comfortable. However, I also feel we both must be involved with what you bring, for you at times to be challenged and be willing to focus on the work.
· I feel it is vital that we work together in establishing a supportive and empathic relationship, through building trust and both of us creating a space in which you can explore and grow.
· I work both fixed, short, or long term and open-ended and have slots available in and out of standard working hours.
· I can work online and face to face.
· I practice by the BACP ethical framework.
· If you feel that it is time to begin or continue with counselling and think that I would be a good fit for you, then you can give me a call or send me an email, and we can arrange an initial session.
· When we meet for the first time, it will be an opportunity to get to know each other, and we can discuss what it is you would like to bring to therapy and what you would like to achieve. Then if you decide to continue, we can agree on a regular weekly slot.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a level 5 professional diploma in humanistic and integrative counselling from the City of Bristol College as well as further training in Addiction, co-dependency, motivational speaking, shame, and grief & loss.
I have experience working in and through anxiety, chronic or generalised anxiety disorder, stress, low self-esteem, depression, phobias and addiction. I also have experience working with vulnerable people, people who have suffered emotional, physical and sexual abuse, eating disorders, addictions to alcohol, drugs and prescription medications, compulsive behaviours and processes.
I have experience addressing various issues such as domestic violence, bullying, relational issues, and working with clients who have experienced emotional trauma.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
My fee is £50 per session
I have time slots from:
• Mondays 9 am till 9 pm
• Thursdays 12 pm till 9 pm
• Fridays from 1 pm till 7 pm
• Online times are flexible subject to availability.
"Ian Hughes is a counsellor with great caring and empathy. I worked with him during a vulnerable stage in my life and he offered me a safe, friendly and insightful place. He approached me without judgement, allowing me to examine my thinking and behaviour at my own pace. I highly recommend him as a counsellor."
Natalie Farr, 2015