Helen Rice, Relationship Therapist MA MSc MBACP Relate Certified
I work with individuals, couples and family groups to help them explore and understand their personal challenges and relationship difficulties and then to make the changes that will turn things around.
More than any technique or theory, however, the quality of the relationship between a client and therapist is the most important factor in achieving a successful outcome and it is this relationship that I place at the heart of my practice. I believe that helping clients to be curious about themselves - in other words being able to reflect on themselves and their circumstances with a sense of neutrality and non-judgement in a safe and supportive environment - is the key to success. In this way, clients are enabled to distinguish the very personal barriers that have been in the way of having the life and relationships they want, and so what it will take to achieve their goals. Seeing these limitations for what they are, allows real, lasting and transformative change to happen naturally and with ease.
My training and experience is extensive. With high-level academic and rigorous practical training as a general counsellor, specialist relationship therapist, research psychologist and personal development coach I draw on a range of ideas and disciplines to support each client to find a way of working that best suits them. The 'integrative' approach I use incorporates psychodynamic, systemic, existential and other therapeutic ideas, as well as life-coaching techniques and facilitated exercises in sessions when they may be useful.
I am available for face-to-face sessions in private premises in Branksome Park, Poole. I also offer Telephone & Skype sessions to clients nationwide via my virtual practice www.belovecurious.com
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA Relationship Therapy, Relate Institute @ Hull University
- MSc Psychology, University of Surrey
- Relate Certified Practitioner
- Level 5 HEFCE Counseling & Counselling Skills, London University
- Extensive training & practice as a personal development coach & professional mentor in corporate roles and at Landmark Education
Registered Member BACP - Registration number 137257
- Relate Certified Counsellor working with couples, individuals and families.
- Founder of relationship counselling & lovelife coaching website www.belovecurious.com
- Regular media commentator on relationship & dating issues. In 2016 & 2017: Psychologies Magazine, Metro daily newspaper; Daily Mail YOU Magazine; Tesco Magazine; New! and Saga UK magazine http://www.belovecurious.com/inspiration/in-the-press/
- Professionally, I have many years experience working in senior corporate roles and as a freelance social research consultant to HM Government.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Family issues
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
• Improve communication skills & stop the arguments
• Express your love & bring back intimacy
• Boost your self-confidence & self-esteem
• Prepare for marriage or civil partnership
• Balance your lovelife with the demands of children & family life
• Cope with affairs or loss of trust
• Consider divorce or separation - conscious uncoupling
• Do you stay in your relationship or is it time to leave?
• Explore your attitudes & experiences of sex & sexuality
• Overcome dating difficulties
• Start a new relationship
- Initial 15-20 minute telephone consultation - Free of charge and no obligation
- Assessment session - £75 (1 hour).
- Ongoing sessions - Variable pricing. Payable per session or Direct Debit arrangement.
Some Recent Client Testimonials
We found Helen at a time when our relationship had hit a very difficult and challenging time. The counselling was like finding the all important safety valve and an opportunity to air issues jointly in a space that felt both safe and focused on resolution. Helen's approach to couple therapy is both fair and compassionate providing you with a neutral space to work out how to take your relationship forward in a more positive direction. Since having the therapy with Helen our appreciation of one another as individuals and what we each bring to our relationship has deepened and we have learned new strategies for understanding one another as people. Altogether a very worthwhile and positive experience. Engaged couple - joint testimonial
At my first session I was nearly in hysterics, panicking that I was not measuring up to any of life’s standards. My sex life, my love life and indeed my life was in tatters. The sessions with Helen not only improved the areas that I thought I needed help with, they went to my core. I walked out of the final session more whole than I have ever felt in my adult life. At last I was equipped with the self confidence to really blossom and grow. This was a life changing experience of which you read about in books! Individual client - female
The overall process has been absolutely brilliant! All of a sudden everything clicks into place and when you can see the full circle, all the work we’ve been doing over these few weeks makes complete sense. I’ve had what I thought were good and bad sessions, and sometimes I’ve felt down and very reflective, but in retrospect I feel there’s never been a bad session because it’s all been extremely helpful. Couple counselling - male client
I am still feeling the huge impact from our session yesterday. I am using the power of my awakening like magic and slowly going through different areas of my life, tentatively touching each area with new clarity and letting it transform. The process is slow but really joyous. Individual client - female
My attitude to sex has completely changed. I used to think it was always going to be disastrous, but now I have hope that I can have a satisfying and enjoyable sex life. I’ve learned to relax a lot more and not be so bossy, so it’s a lot easier for someone to be spontaneous and more relaxed with me. Couple counselling - female client
I started getting coaching from Helen at a very stuck stage of my relationship. I was confused because I was unhappy in what seemed like it should be a perfect relationship. She listened to all my cries without judgement after which she would ask simple questions that led me to an unshakeable clarity about the next steps for me. Without ever being told what I needed to do it was so clear that I had to find the courage to leave what was comfortable and familiar and follow my heart to find what will make me happy! Individual client - female
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday-Friday 9:30 am to 8pm.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|