Helen Johnson MBACP, AFT
Throughout our lives we are faced with many challenges, experiences and emotions which might lead us to seek counselling. Feelings of confusion, fear, loss, sadness, anger, despair, anxiety, low self-esteem, frustration can sometimes become overwhelming; as can the complexities of family life, work and relationships. I provide counselling services to individuals, couples and have significant experience working therapeutically with children, young people and their families.
I work in comfortable and safe surroundings where clients can relax and focus on their feelings.
I believe that no one Counselling Theory fits for each person, so I work in an Integrative way, carefully using different approaches to suit the individual. The relationship between Counsellor and client is a very important one, based on trust and mutual respect and how we work can be decided upon together.
Sometimes sharing your feelings with someone outside of the situation may feel more comfortable than with someone who is close to you. It is also an opportunity to recognise the strengths you already possess and build upon them. I provide a confidential, non-judgemental time and place to identify troubles, explore them and find ways to cope and move forward.Throughout our lives we are faced with many challenges. I offer a confidential, non-judgemental setting where individuals, couples and families can have time and space to explore and understand their thoughts and feelings, helping them find a way through Life's Maze.
I am a qualified Integrative Therapeutic Counsellor and additionally hold a Level 7 Post Graduate Certificate in Systemic Practice and Family Therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post Graduate Certificate in Systemic Practice and Family Therapy (Level 7)
- M/A Degree/Dip in Social Work (Level 7)
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Level 4)
- Introduction to Counselling Skills (Level 2)
- Cognitive Behavioural Theory (Level 3)
- Certificate in Counselling Studies Level 3
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (Level 2)
I have a background of 20 years experience working with Children and Adults in a variety of different settings including Education, the Criminal Justice System and Social Care. I have particular experience in working with issues such as Family Relationships, Substance Misuse, Abuse and Domestic Violence.
I am a Member of the Association for Systemic Practice and Family Therapy (AFT), British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), British Association of Social Workers (BASW) and the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC)
I attend regular training courses and workshops as part of my Continued Professional Development. Some of these are:
- Practical and Advanced Skills in Couples Counselling
- Cognitive Behavioural Theory L3 - AQA
- Understanding Attachment and Loss – CAMHS, for Rutland County Council
- Self Harm, Self Care and the Way Between
- Mindfulness - Cambridgeshire Consultancy in Counselling
- Understanding Depression in Young People – University of Leicester
- Dealing with adolescence - Peterborough College of Adult Education
- Safeguarding Children and Young People on the Internet - PCSB
- Working with & supporting bereaved children and young people – Winston’s Wish
- Dissociative States – Cambridge Regional College
- Building Self Esteem – Skills Development Service
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Family Relationships, Parent/Child Relationships
£45 per hourly session for Individuals, £60 per hourly session for Couples and Family Work
Concessions for students.
I offer brief or longer term therapy.
I offer day and evening appointments. Quiet village location with parking and ground floor location. Local bus route from Peterborough to Stamford stops in the village.
I am a member of BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) and on the BACP Register I work within their Ethical Framework. I am also a member of the AFT (Association for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice).
I hold full Professional Indemnity insurance and have regular monthly supervision as per the requirements of BACP and the AFT.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer daytime and evening appointments.
Types of client